Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 01:09 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

Phew, it worked. Much to my relief.

The place I buy meat sells two different grades. They had a really attractive sale on the cheaper grade of whole New York strip.

I bought two. One was taken out of the bag immediately, patted dry, and placed in the refrigerator uncovered. Every day for 7 days, I patted it dry. Today, I cut it into steaks and wrapped in butcher paper and placed in the freezer. One steak, I grilled for my breakfast. It's quite nice, tender, good flavor.

Good aged beef is aged for more than 7 days, but I lost my nerve. But at least these steaks have 7 days of aging that they didn't have before.

The second New York strip got three days of aging in the bag before I started to dry age it. I'm going to give it a couple more days so it gets a full 7 days of dry agng. At this point, the two roasts look and feel quite different with the differing treatment.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 10-23-2018 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 01:22 PM

Extra notes. You have to be sure there are no odors in the refrigerator for the meat to absorb.

My nose always accuses the blood in the bag from going off rather quickly. So I carefully kept that removed from the meat. For me, leaving meat in the bag for more than a few days gives on off smell. But a local market at holidays sells a 5 week aged rib roast that is spectacular. I asked the butcher and they are aging that in the bag. My guess is that they have better facities to age meat than I do with my home fridge. I would not attempt that at home.

I have aged beef in my refrigerator in the past when I get a cut of meat that smells green and that improves it.

I might buy the lower grade rib roast that is usually on sale for Christmas and try dry aging that and see how it works.

I'm greatly relieved that it has worked this time. It would have been a very expensive mistake if I ruined a whole New York strip.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:30 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Extra notes. You have to be sure there are no odors in the refrigerator for the meat to absorb.

My nose always accuses the blood in the bag from going off rather quickly. So I carefully kept that removed from the meat. For me, leaving meat in the bag for more than a few days gives on off smell. But a local market at holidays sells a 5 week aged rib roast that is spectacular. I asked the butcher and they are aging that in the bag. My guess is that they have better facities to age meat than I do with my home fridge. I would not attempt that at home.

I have aged beef in my refrigerator in the past when I get a cut of meat that smells green and that improves it.

I might buy the lower grade rib roast that is usually on sale for Christmas and try dry aging that and see how it works.

I'm greatly relieved that it has worked this time. It would have been a very expensive mistake if I ruined a whole New York strip.
Our Xmas dinner is usually standing rib-roast (prime rib). I will probably try the dry aging process this year and use a reverse sear on the BGE to cook it.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:29 PM

923 posts, read 526,569 times
I was lucky to have a fridge that I could empty to dry age meat in. I haven't been able to for a couple years, but I did primal cuts like whole boneless ribeye roasts(10+ #'s) and KC strip primal. I liked about the 45 day age. IMHO, if you want the full benefit of dry aging then get a primal and go long. Seven day doesn't do much, but not bad.

To be "safe", get a primal and cut into thirds or quarters or something. Then take out at different intervals. You'll see the benefit of longer aging. Your first time, you'll be nervous that you'll mess it up. Don't worry. Ya cut off the outside bit and you'll have an intense steak flavor.

They also make "kits" that use a vac seal bag that's "vented" or has holes. Works good as well. Mine is out on loan to friends....constantly. lol Haven't seen it in 10 years.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:33 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
4 of my stores dry age the whole primals - like the whole strip the dry age cooler is around 35 degrees and humidity controlled …

we age for around 25-30 days lose about 25% of original weight - the meat will age and discolor … (quicker around fat and bone) you have to skive this off before cooking.... its also natural to get a greenish ring ...dont be alarmed by this

wet age is aging in the vacuum seal......not as effective as dry age yet it still breaks down.....some store will wet age for 45-60 days if not longer...

one of the reason you dont see much dry aged beef on display in stores is because of appearance.... if a person doesn't understand what it is ….they will go ewwwww…

Oregon you mention a bit of a gassy wiff after you open the seal...very normal..... airs out fine..... but the hyper sensitivity some consumers have they will think its spoiled..
its a bit more pronounced in pork.....but still air out fine..

the food network channel did a special on this high end place that dry aged short loins had a whole cooler full of them.....think they aged for 45 days …(for t bones and porterhouse steaks) they had to trim quite a bit off that short loin …and it was brown to start with....I wondered how many people would buy it on the menu if they saw the outside of it before trimming....

ive aged thousands of bone in rib eyes in coolers for Christmas thru the years....
always got compliments

Old 10-25-2018, 11:27 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

the food network channel did a special on this high end place that dry aged short loins had a whole cooler full of them.....think they aged for 45 days …(for t bones and porterhouse steaks) they had to trim quite a bit off that short loin …and it was brown to start with....I wondered how many people would buy it on the menu if they saw the outside of it before trimming....
I think that TV program was Lobel's in Manhattan. I only know that because I went to High School wtih Evan Lobel, who now owns the family business. Wish I had been friendlier or dated the guy - I'd sure like to get my hands on some of that meat, but I wouldn't pay those prices if I won the lottery last Tuesday.

$52.95 for a 16oz Prime dry aged boneless rib-eye. Plus shipping. Yowza!!!!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/d...lobels-0216068

Old 10-25-2018, 03:11 PM

I cut and froze the second New York strip today. Purchased a week ago Tuesday, aged in the bag until Friday, dry aged until today (Thursday). Nine days total.

When you cut a primal cut into steaks, you need to square up the ends in order to get consistent thickness steaks. So those trimmed ends were my lunch today. The flavor was excellent. One end of the chunk of meat was more tender than the other, but no one would have complained that the tougher end was too tough.

This worked well. Next time I'll age longer.

Last year, Costco had USDA prime standing rib roast ($$$$!!). Maybe I'll get one of those for Christmas and dry age it for a couple of weeks. A holiday splurge.

Note for those of you who want to try this for the first time: the fat dries out unevenly. You age the meat fat up and about day three, the fat starts to look splotchy. I just about freaked out, thinking it was mold. But it's not. It's just spots with more moisture set next to dryer fat. Color will even out.

Thanks to mainebrokerman for contributing. He's our resident expert in meat.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:32 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I think that TV program was Lobel's in Manhattan. I only know that because I went to High School wtih Evan Lobel, who now owns the family business. Wish I had been friendlier or dated the guy - I'd sure like to get my hands on some of that meat, but I wouldn't pay those prices if I won the lottery last Tuesday.

$52.95 for a 16oz Prime dry aged boneless rib-eye. Plus shipping. Yowza!!!!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/d...lobels-0216068
thanks for the post

the first "meat" book a family member gave me when I was an apprentice butcher was lobel brothers all about meat awesome book!! and family history

I was in this store today that was selling prime grade rib eyes and strips … very reasonable too under 15.00lb

not many places in maine sells prime grade not just because of price...but because the abundant marbling is perceived as "too fatty" because of the lean low fat montra for 40 yrs.

at retail the consumer sees the steak raw......in a restaurant he/she does not …

Old 10-25-2018, 04:36 PM

1,371 posts, read 667,700 times
Probably close to better part of 25 years ago, I ordered some steaks from Lobel's for DH's birthday. I ordered rib eyes for me and DD, and their biggest porterhouse for DH. His steak was great according to him. Mine and DD's, not so much, had a funky off flavor to both of them and all but a few bites of each steak went in the garbage, not even given to the dogs. When I e-mailed to.complain, and I had to send it twice to get an answer, had to even state next email would be to Food Network celebrity that recommended them, I got a snotty answer back from Evan Lobel, although he did end up refunding the rib eye charges. I did mention that DH said his steak was great, which was almost 2/3 of the charge $. Never ordered from them again because of the snotty email reply and it should tell you how bad it was given that I remember name of who wrote it and the tone after all these years...

Old 10-31-2018, 02:44 PM

1,183 posts, read 707,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
Probably close to better part of 25 years ago, I ordered some steaks from Lobel's for DH's birthday. I ordered rib eyes for me and DD, and their biggest porterhouse for DH. His steak was great according to him. Mine and DD's, not so much, had a funky off flavor to both of them and all but a few bites of each steak went in the garbage, not even given to the dogs. When I e-mailed to.complain, and I had to send it twice to get an answer, had to even state next email would be to Food Network celebrity that recommended them, I got a snotty answer back from Evan Lobel, although he did end up refunding the rib eye charges. I did mention that DH said his steak was great, which was almost 2/3 of the charge $. Never ordered from them again because of the snotty email reply and it should tell you how bad it was given that I remember name of who wrote it and the tone after all these years...
Next time take him to Peter Luger's and order the dry aged Porterhouse. Luger's has been much-maligned in recent years after it became too popular and people wanted to be snooty and avoid anywhere tourists went, but it is still sublime and untouchable. The minimum order is steak for two - and go hungry. You won't be wasting your money. And if you are feeling very elastic-bellied start off with a slice each of their half inch thick bacon - which goes amazingly well with their horseradish-based steak sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes