Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:25 AM

983 posts, read 1,174,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Any kind of bean soup, made in the crockpot. Rinse the beans, soak them overnight, in the morning add a ham hock (the local “country store” where I live sells good ones, most supermarkets sell them), 2-6 or more carrots cut bite-sized, an onion or 2 cut into quarters, garlic & pepper. If you have any over-ripe tomatoes, throw them in, too. Sometimes I will add a can of crushed tomatoes to substitute for some of the water. I like green peas (I think technically they are legumes, not beans), navy beans, pinto beans, black beans, red beans, lima beans, the 6 or 12-beans mixtures, anything except kidney beans, & the latter is just personal preference.

Make sure that the pot is filled to the top with liquid, beans soak it up a lot. Turn on the crockpot & it’s ready for dinner. Salt usually doesn’t need to be added, as the ham hocks take care of that.

Where I live, a one-pound bag of beans costs 59-99 cents, but it’s even cheaper if you want to buy in bulk.
I love me some soup beans ( with a big ole ham hock ) and cornbread !

Smells so good stewing all day as well

I only use beans and ham - none of the other sides you toss in.

Lots of fresh ground pepper before eating. Sometimes some fresh diced sweet onion as a topper or alittle cheddar cheese. mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 10:05 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,620,654 times
I make New Orleans-style red beans with andouille sausage in my slow cooker to be over Creole rice. I also make chili, oxtail stew, navy bean & ham soup, and seafood gumbo in my cooker.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:34 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,454,342 times
I usually just cook pasta, and add in the sauce and protein separately (like frozen meatballs, etc.)

I do more with a pan, like ground turkey meat, and add whatever veggies are on sale. I use a slap chop device to get them "more minced". If I'm even more lazy, I buy pre-chopped veggies. Add everything spice to it while cooking.

I should find more recipes for cooking liquids in a pot that uses more ingredients

Old 10-18-2017, 11:03 AM

24,530 posts, read 18,089,246 times
I have a half-dozen dinner party meals that all start with a Le Creuset 5 quart French oven on the stovetop.

Bouillabaisse - My adaptation of the ancient New York Times Cookbook recipe. Onion/garlic/fennel/celery/leeks, bay leaves/thyme, saffron at the end. Sauvignon blanc. I use More Than Gourmet fish stock reduction. The seafood varies. Haddock or cod. A flatfish like flounder or sole. Shrimp. Scallops. Cooked lobster meat in the bowl. I slice and toast a baguette in the broiler and make a quick aioli out of Hellman's and finely chopped garlic. Spread the aioli on the toasted baguette slices and float on the bouillabaisse. If I'm feeling cheap, I buy "chowder fish" which is mostly haddock/cod pieces and some frozen raw/peeled shrimp.

Gordon's Pot Roast - The epicurious.com recipe. I use way more thyme than they call for. I often substitute "bottle of red wine" for port + wine + stock. The fresh ginger really makes this a killer recipe. I serve it over wide Pennsylvania Dutch noodles.

Shrimp Mozambique - I'm in coastal New England so I have access to the local hard shell clam/quahog called a littleneck. I'm in a Portuguese/Azores area so I have access to an uncured lightly smoked garlic/paprika/oregano pork sausage called linguica. I buy the spicy kind which is also called chourico if it's in a cow casing instead of a pig casing. It's different/more moist than the Latin American chorizo but you could substitute that. It also has a couple of packets of Goya sazon con azrafran. Anyways, toss basmati rice in the rice cooker and get it going. Slice and fry the linguica. Remove. Sautee a large onion and some garlic in olive oil. Remove. Sautee shrimp and dump a couple of Goya flavor packs on it. Remove. Steam littlenecks in a can of Bud Light or any non-hopped domestic lager. When the clams open, dump in everything else and stir it up. It's basically a Portuguese/Azores paella. You have to clean the rice cooker so it's technically not one pot. I usually have frozen shrimp and linguica in the freezer so I can omit the clams and this is a 15 minute emergency meal.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:03 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,760,563 times
How interesting! Shrimp Mozambique ...thanks for the info, please translate what's in the Goya packets...lucky you live in that area. Love paellas.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I have a half-dozen dinner party meals that all start with a Le Creuset 5 quart French oven on the stovetop.

Bouillabaisse - My adaptation of the ancient New York Times Cookbook recipe. Onion/garlic/fennel/celery/leeks, bay leaves/thyme, saffron at the end. Sauvignon blanc. I use More Than Gourmet fish stock reduction. The seafood varies. Haddock or cod. A flatfish like flounder or sole. Shrimp. Scallops. Cooked lobster meat in the bowl. I slice and toast a baguette in the broiler and make a quick aioli out of Hellman's and finely chopped garlic. Spread the aioli on the toasted baguette slices and float on the bouillabaisse. If I'm feeling cheap, I buy "chowder fish" which is mostly haddock/cod pieces and some frozen raw/peeled shrimp.

Gordon's Pot Roast - The epicurious.com recipe. I use way more thyme than they call for. I often substitute "bottle of red wine" for port + wine + stock. The fresh ginger really makes this a killer recipe. I serve it over wide Pennsylvania Dutch noodles.

Shrimp Mozambique - I'm in coastal New England so I have access to the local hard shell clam/quahog called a littleneck. I'm in a Portuguese/Azores area so I have access to an uncured lightly smoked garlic/paprika/oregano pork sausage called linguica. I buy the spicy kind which is also called chourico if it's in a cow casing instead of a pig casing. It's different/more moist than the Latin American chorizo but you could substitute that. It also has a couple of packets of Goya sazon con azrafran. Anyways, toss basmati rice in the rice cooker and get it going. Slice and fry the linguica. Remove. Sautee a large onion and some garlic in olive oil. Remove. Sautee shrimp and dump a couple of Goya flavor packs on it. Remove. Steam littlenecks in a can of Bud Light or any non-hopped domestic lager. When the clams open, dump in everything else and stir it up. It's basically a Portuguese/Azores paella. You have to clean the rice cooker so it's technically not one pot. I usually have frozen shrimp and linguica in the freezer so I can omit the clams and this is a 15 minute emergency meal.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:08 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,760,563 times
When married, I made beef burgundy with onions, mushrooms, carrots and celery, served over pasta or rice. Now I still make it but give the beef to pets, or freeze, as I only want the veggies and gravy. One delicious gravy indeed.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:23 PM

50,138 posts, read 63,564,697 times
Good old American Chop Suey. Ground meat, onion, tomato, herbs of choice and macaroni. Sometimes I add peppers or mushrooms.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:01 PM

1,257 posts, read 883,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Mine is a pot roast or a stew, out of the crock pot, meat, spuds & veg, with gravy, yum yum

but another favorite is a lentil curry, over rice, so it is 2 pots, but if you don't want the rice, the lentil stew/curry is very filling. It is also a budget frinedly dish as half a bag of lentils will feed us quite a few meals & an entire bag is only $1. I add extra carrots & maybe a potato or two to the lentil curry.

Is this for recipes or just ideas?
Lentil curry sounds wonderful!

Old 10-18-2017, 02:03 PM

1,257 posts, read 883,858 times
Roast, onions, potatoes, carrots, herbs, spices and seasonings ... roasted low and slow until the meat falls apart. Serve with rolls and cottage cheese.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:10 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,852,780 times
Chili, which I make with cut-up beef chuck, ground turkey thigh, or ground chicken thigh. Whichever meat I use, it always contains onions, peppers, garlic, whole canned tomatoes (which I pulse 5X in the Cuisinart to get the right texture), ground ancho, cumin, a small amount of chipotle, and beans (kidney, black, or cannellini). My favorite garnish is sour cream (I like Daisy brand best), but for company, I include cilantro, grated cheddar, and diced red or green onion. Cornbread is good, too, though I don't make it as much as I used to.

Chicken paprikash, using the recipe I found in the 1975 trade paperback edition of Joy of Cooking, though I tend to use just thigh meat now instead of a whole chicken.

I can make stews, mostly using methods I found in Richard Olney's Simple French Food, but I used to like them with wine, and since I quit drinking, I mostly don't bother anymore.

Bean, or chicken noodle, lentil, and split pea soups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes