Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 01:50 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,918 times

Advertisements

Greetings.

So my starter is about a week old. After I feed it, it bubbles and foams nicely for a couple of hours, then gets quiet until the next feeding, 24 hours later.

I'm wondering if the bubbling and foaming should be lasting more than just a couple of hours.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Should I or could I feed it more frequently?
If I do feed it more frequently, will it get stronger faster?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 02:23 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Greetings.

So my starter is about a week old. After I feed it, it bubbles and foams nicely for a couple of hours, then gets quiet until the next feeding, 24 hours later.

I'm wondering if the bubbling and foaming should be lasting more than just a couple of hours.

Thanks in advance.
Feed it and when it doubles in volume throw away half and fed again. When it will double in about 4 hours and smells good, bake some bread. After you get a good reliable starter, you can store it in the frig and just feed it every now and then. I bake a loaf every week, so I feed my starter every week. The starter I don't use, I put back in the frig. I feed mine rye, although All purpose will also work good.
I took my starter out of the frig at noon today(probably should have started sooner) and fed it equal parts by weight of rye flour and water. It had doubled in volume by 4:00 pm. I have mixed the dough and I hope to bake a loaf before I go to bed. If it doesn't appear to be rising enough, I will put the dough in the frig overnite and let it finish rising tomorrow and then bake it.
There is a ton of info available here.
Forums | The Fresh Loaf

Old 10-25-2017, 03:48 PM

Thank you, Southern man.

Appreciate the help.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:51 PM

Well, I can never get my starter to double in size. After I feed it, it is bubbly for about three hours, then no action again until I feed it again. During these bubbly periods, the most it rises is 25%

Regardless, I've twice made very tasty loaves, with very pleasant and noticeable sour dough flavor, by following the sour dough recipe and just adding a healthy teaspoon of store bought yeast and a healthy teaspoon of sugar to the dough.

I'm actually more of a purest than this suggests, and I would love to have my starter be powerful enough to do the job on its own. But it is delivering the taste, so for now I'm happy.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:18 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Default Oregon Trail Sourdough Starter

Has anyone ordered starter from Oregon Trial Sourdough in Md.? I have never ordered any through the mail but this one is FREE so maybe worth a try.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:50 AM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Do you have the starter in a location where the temperature is right for the yeast to grow?

Almost always yeast and bread problems are about temperature.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:56 PM

1,264 posts, read 666,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Greetings.

Thanks in advance.
I realize this thread is over 3 years old but maybe this will help LilyMae and other prospective sourdough bakers as well. Sourdough starter is not very needy. Well, it's needs, aren't very complicated, they're quite basic actually. Starter only requires 1) WARMTH, (room temp) until established. After a week or two, then may be refrigerated, and need feeding once per week or so. But until being refrigerated, beginner starter needs feedings at least once per day, maybe twice. The feedings should be of 2) WATER and the type of 3) FLOUR you will be baking with. The problem most often confronted with new starters or any starters actually, is not having their minimum requirements being met. Tap water from municipal sources are often THE #1 ISSUE. Chlorinated water kills the bacteria in starter. Use filtered water or at least water that has been drawn and allowed to sit open 24 hours, which allows the chlorine bleach to evaporate. Hope this helps!

Old 02-19-2021, 04:09 PM

Thank you for the additional tips, folks. I still have the same starter and it is stronger now. I have an overnight recipe for which it works. I think switching to rye flour for a while helped. And a warmer spot near the woodstove in the winter and in the sun in spring/early autumn. (already was using well water, but good point about chlorinated water)

Here's the recipe in case anyone is interested -

2.5 cups warm liquid, either all active fed starter or a combination of starter and water
4 cups flour - I use 2 of ww and 2 of white, all purpose for both (not bread flour) If you have used all starter and no water for your liquid, you may need to reduce flour.
1.5 t salt
1 t sugar

Mix well with wooden spoon, adjust flour if too runny. Let rest 30 minutes. Knead a couple of minutes. Put in oiled bowl, cover, put in a warm place overnight. In morning, knead again a couple of minutes. (sometimes I cheat at this point and add a t yeast and a t sugar) Shape into two small loaves, cover with oiled wax paper, put in warm spot and allow to rise for about an hour. Uncover and bake at 425 for about 22 minutes.

Heidi, I never used that product, so can't help you with that.

Thanks again.

Last edited by LilyMae521; 02-19-2021 at 04:31 PM..

Old 02-20-2021, 06:56 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Ok, you talked me into it! I will try my luck starting a starter. Wish me luck please.

Tip for rising - I was in a hurry this week and put the dough bowl on one of the cats' heated pads. Worked

Old 02-21-2021, 10:55 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Ok, you talked me into it! I will try my luck starting a starter. Wish me luck please.

Tip for rising - I was in a hurry this week and put the dough bowl on one of the cats' heated pads. Worked
Send these folks a buck and a SASE and they will send you a reliable dry starter sample. I have have made my own and used theirs and theirs works better for me.

Carl Griffith 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes