Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 02:27 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,501,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I think I'm doing salmon wrong. It never comes out perfectly cooked like at restaurants.

How do you guys cook salmon? I need details. Marinade or no marinade? Pan fry or oven roast? What kind of pan do you use? What kind of oil?

And since most of the time I am cooking from frozen, how do you defrost it? Is it ever OK to cook it partially frozen?
OK, let me tell you my secret, since I got so many compliments that I make it better than in many restaurants: I suggest you defrost it. If you leave it outside it will take a few hours. In the fridge from one day to another. I would never cook it partially or totally frozen because I wouldn;t know how long to cook it.

So, with the salmon defrosted, no matter if you cook it on the grill, marinate or not marinate, the secret is not to cook it through because it becomes dry and no matter what you do it will be overcooked.

So cook it just like 5-8 min in the oven or 4 min on each side if on the grill, then take it and cover it. put it in a bowl with a cover or a tray with aluminum foil. whatever you do, cover it. It will continue to cook but it will retain the moisture.

That's the secret. to me, marinate doesn't make sense because it is not beef or lamb to have the acidic marinade soften the molecular structure. So to me i just put stuff on it and cook it. there are so many recipes out there. I recommend the food channel. Watch Ina's salmon on youtube for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 02:33 PM

983 posts, read 1,172,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I think I'm doing salmon wrong. It never comes out perfectly cooked like at restaurants.

How do you guys cook salmon? I need details. Marinade or no marinade? Pan fry or oven roast? What kind of pan do you use? What kind of oil?

And since most of the time I am cooking from frozen, how do you defrost it? Is it ever OK to cook it partially frozen?
I never responded to this portion in my previous lengthy reply

Sorry - I just figured everyone knows you do not cook a frozen piece of salmon.

Fastest best way to thaw out a piece of salmon and have it ready to cook in 1-2 hours is place the frozen salmon in a ziplok baggie and fill your sink 1/3 full and place salmon and Ziploc baggie in the water.

It will defrost completely with an hour or 2 and be quite fresh and doesnot take a couple days sitting in fridge to defrost.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:08 PM

17,414 posts, read 14,995,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I never responded to this portion in my previous lengthy reply

Sorry - I just figured everyone knows you do not cook a frozen piece of salmon.

Fastest best way to thaw out a piece of salmon and have it ready to cook in 1-2 hours is place the frozen salmon in a ziplok baggie and fill your sink 1/3 full and place salmon and Ziploc baggie in the water.

It will defrost completely with an hour or 2 and be quite fresh and doesnot take a couple days sitting in fridge to defrost.
I do a variation of this defrost method, but all in all, it's the same.

I generally do olive oil and some kind of seasoning.. I've got this "Magic salmon Seasoning" that.. Honestly is REALLY good. Surprised me. But.. 350 in the oven for about 7-10 minutes pending on the size.

salmon cooks (and as someone mentioned before, overcooks) very, very quickly.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:29 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,506,500 times
I start with wild caught salmon. I no longer buy farm raised fish. BJ's has a nice dense frozen wild caught Sockeye.

Without a quality piece of salmon/fish to start with you will always be disappointed.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:21 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,493,522 times
I live in the land of salmon, so we usually get it fresh, sometimes have to freeze it because we have too much...such a problem, huh? If I do have to freeze, I always thaw before cooking.

Anyway, my favorite way to cook it is in the Foreman grill. I lightly brush it with a little evoo & lemon or lime juice, a little pepper, & in it goes, cooked for as long as the grill recommends.

The worst thing you can do to any type of fish is to overlook it.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:25 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,473,139 times
If you are intent on putting all that stuff on it save your money and buy a carp.
Otherwise, salt, pepper, a little lemon. Wrap in foil with the skin down and the foil tented over the top, not sealed.
Medium flame on the grill. Let it steam in its own juice until the segments flake away with a fork. Allow it to cool a bit before serving.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:26 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,968,171 times
I believe in the concept of fish farms, but the reality of the product leaves more than a lot to be desired. Farmed salmon is definitely sub-standard. Farmed catfish is ok - but that is catfish.

I hate fish cooked in a closed oven. Steamed in a crockpot or dutch oven can be great, but not broiled, or baked in a closed oven. Cooked on an open grill is great. You can also bake it on an outdoor grill - that can work. Something about doing it in a closed space spoils the taste. An outdoor grill, even with the lid down, has enough air circulation you don't get that nasty fishiness.

IMO, for salmon, an open grill is one of the best ways to cook it. I don't like sauteed or fried salmon - nope - no good that way. Poaching it is risky (flavor-wise), and not for an inexperienced cook working from a recipe. I am entirely unimpressed with any marinades or drenches, including butter, lemon juice, and other popular recipes. On the other hand, salmon can do well in a good ceviche - but I rarely eat any raw fish anymore, and a true ceviche is not raw, but neither is it cooked (the fish is "cured" by the acidity of the lime juice, and it requires a particular type of limes).

If you want to fry or saute, using a cornmeal batter or coating is a superb way to go for most fish, but not so much for salmon.

Crashj007's recipe for using a foil tent on a grill sounds like a good possibility.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:50 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,138,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Think of baking chocolate chip cookies. Everyone loves chewy fresh baked choc chip cookies. Bake them maybe 2 mins too long and they go from moist / chewy to overdone and crunchy.
I have to disagree on cookies. Crispy ones are the best.

As far as Salmon goes, I agree. Never overcook it. Its best when prepared as sashimi.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:54 PM

2,244 posts, read 1,640,478 times
I don't like the unappetizing white "stuff" that comes out of the salmon while cooked.

Am I doing something wrong as this always happens when I grill or bake salmon? I have never seen this when served in a restaurant.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:02 PM

983 posts, read 1,172,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I don't like the unappetizing white "stuff" that comes out of the salmon while cooked.

Am I doing something wrong as this always happens when I grill or bake salmon? I have never seen this when served in a restaurant.
Its a protein in the flesh of the salmon

Does not bother me as most of my cooking methods I do not really notice it

here is an article detailing how to prevent it

Short answer is: brine the piece of fish in salt water for maybe 10mins before cooking

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...n_6564634.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes