U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 10:16 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,225,888 times

Advertisements

Eat it raw either in a suchi or in a salad. Has to be a very fresh salmon though. Suchi is pretty hard to make ta home so salad is probably much more realistic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 10:17 AM

3,900 posts, read 2,742,272 times
This is my quick easy way to do salmon, just for me. I know this isn't the best, but it works.

I buy the wild caught skinless frozen pieces. I'll thaw two in a bowl of water, in their plastic bags, takes about ten minutes.

I bake it in the toaster oven, maybe 375 for about 10-12 minutes total, on a piece of foil with olive oil underneath, flip them halfway through.

I top with a jalapeno ranch dressing.

But of course, it doesn't match the delicious salmon I can get from restaurants!

Old 11-10-2017, 11:14 AM

4,631 posts, read 3,696,178 times
I like to prepare it sweet and sour, Sicilian style: saute in a pan with olive oil and onions, season with salt, black pepper, and hot pepper flakes until browned on both sides; cover and reduce heat for 8 minutes until done then transfer to a plate. Put pan over high heat, add a half tsp of sugar and a Tb of red wine vinegar, reduce till syrupy, add another half tsp sugar and Tb of red wine vinegar, add some fresh mint chopped (or dried mint) and pour sauce over salmon. It's quick and easy, and goes great with a salad and some rice, orzo, or polenta.

Recipe I use was originally for tuna steaks, see "The Italian Country Table", by Lynne Rossetto Kasper (Tonno in Agrodolce).

Old 11-10-2017, 11:55 AM

9,662 posts, read 18,852,256 times
I guess I'm a heretic. I'll take the frozen salmon and nuke it for a couple of minutes, squeeze of lemon and on a slab of bread with mayo. Or over rice with shoyu. This is all pre-smoked Alaskan King salmon, most of them caught in Deep Creek or at Homer Spit. Our friend has a fishing cabin in Alaska so we visit him occasionally and bring back a salmon or two. You can tell the Alaska flights, folks are getting off the plane with coolers full of salmon instead of luggage.

It's pretty good on crackers, too. Or made into a salmon dip when using the crackers.

Any time you'd got a slab of fish - doesn't really matter what type generally - lightly grilled or fried and not overcooked is usually a good choice. If you can't think of anything else, a little salt & pepper and served with a lemon wedge. Serve over rice, a salad on the side and it's a quick and really easy dinner.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:31 PM

1,185 posts, read 662,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Its a protein in the flesh of the salmon

Does not bother me as most of my cooking methods I do not really notice it

here is an article detailing how to prevent it

Short answer is: brine the piece of fish in salt water for maybe 10mins before cooking

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...n_6564634.html
Thanks for this!

Old 11-10-2017, 05:59 PM

6,748 posts, read 3,854,200 times
I prefer salmon steaks. They are great cooked in various ways. Heat a frying pan with melted coconut oil or butter. It should be hot enough to hear the steaks sizzle when you put them in. Turn after 2-3 min. Cook through, but not so long the fish dries out. You can sprinkle with dill or lemon pepper before turning if you want. You can serve with a little tarter sauce or your favorite creamy salad dressing if you want. Sometimes I serve the steak on top of a big green salad and add dressing of choice.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:41 AM
gg

17,921 posts, read 18,241,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I think I'm doing salmon wrong. It never comes out perfectly cooked like at restaurants.

How do you guys cook salmon? I need details. Marinade or no marinade? Pan fry or oven roast? What kind of pan do you use? What kind of oil?

And since most of the time I am cooking from frozen, how do you defrost it? Is it ever OK to cook it partially frozen?
I love poached salmon the best. Take your time and just cook through enough, or even go a little on the rare side. I nice dill/yogurt sauce is wonderful as well. You can also poach and serve cold with a sauce.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:12 AM

983 posts, read 783,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I love poached salmon the best. Take your time and just cook through enough, or even go a little on the rare side. I nice dill/yogurt sauce is wonderful as well. You can also poach and serve cold with a sauce.
Yea I love cold salmon ( left overs ) - its a fantastic flavorful quick add to a salad or goes great as a healthy snack with crackers or nuts.

And Like Dirt Grinder I also love raw salmon. Typically only sockeye or Coho salmon. I think the richer tasting meat along with the deeper reddish hue to the flesh makes it much more palatable. I will not consume but 10% of a normal portion when I eat it in this fashion. Its more about taste and texture than it is filling my tummy

Have never had it poached

Old 11-11-2017, 11:09 AM

9,155 posts, read 8,662,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Poaching is one of my favorite ways to cook salmon, too, especially if I'm making enough for more than just myself.

When it's just me, I usually eat roasted salmon and potatoes. First, I preheat the oven to 400. Then I line a pan with parchment, cut up a red or gold potato to bite-size, put the pieces in the pan, toss them with EVOO, salt, and dried (or fresh) rosemary. I put EVOO and salt on a 6 oz. piece of salmon. I cook the potatoes for 25 minutes. Then I take the pan out, and make room for the piece of salmon on the parchment, and cook for ~10 minutes more (10 minutes per inch for medium). I grind pepper on the salmon and potatoes when they come out of the oven.

Somewhere during this process, I'll have cooked a green vegetable, too. My favorites are green peas (easiest & cheapest), asparagus (favorite), or green beans (most work). Some will choose broccoli. All can be done while the potatoes and fish are roasting.

I may serve this with a dill sauce, but usually I don't have sour cream or yogurt, and I'm not a big mayonnaise fan. Besides, salmon is perfectly good with a wedge of lemon, which I usually do have on hand.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:52 AM

13,382 posts, read 21,932,788 times
I usually broil salmon. I fashion a little 'boat' out of aluminum foil, place the salmon skin side down, then slather with kewpie mayo and chopped fresh dill, a drizzle of sriracha if I'm in the mood for it, and broil until ready to eat. I start with six to eight minutes depending on the thickness, and then check for doneness every minute or so. The boat makes clean up no muss no fuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or