U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 02:12 PM

11,048 posts, read 8,462,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I believe any fat that is a solid at room temperature is shortening (as opposed to fats that are liquid at room temp, like vegetable and nut oils).
Shortening is hydrogenated soybean oil. Butter, coconut oil, or other solid fats are not. Plus, shortening is 100% fat. Butter is part fat and part water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 09:31 PM

13,316 posts, read 21,878,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Shortening is hydrogenated soybean oil. Butter, coconut oil, or other solid fats are not. Plus, shortening is 100% fat. Butter is part fat and part water.
Quote:
Shortening is any fat that is a solid at room temperature and used to make crumbly pastry and other food products.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortening

Old 12-01-2017, 08:50 AM

22,539 posts, read 28,465,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I believe any fat that is a solid at room temperature is shortening (as opposed to fats that are liquid at room temp, like vegetable and nut oils).
Maybe so, but when you are baking and a recipe calls for shortning, it means Crisco or a Crisco-like product.

Other cooking fats can probably be substituted, but not always.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:56 AM

36,494 posts, read 41,708,164 times
I've been using coconut oil lately, because I have it on hand, and it's worked fine for my particular recipes.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:56 PM

13,316 posts, read 21,878,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Maybe so, but when you are baking and a recipe calls for shortning, it means Crisco or a Crisco-like product.

Other cooking fats can probably be substituted, but not always.
I was responding to another poster who thought I needed to be corrected about the definition of shortening - not sure why you had to chime in on this?

I never used hydrogenated trans fats in my baked goods, regardless of the recipe. If I found a recipe or one was suggested to me and it called specifically for Crisco, I used butter, leaf lard, or another shortening in place of the Crisco. Results were just fine. I don't consider a recipe a rigid set of rules, I've been adapting and improvising for a few decades now and have yet to come across a failure because I subbed Crisco for butter or any other shortening. Which is exactly what the OP started this thread for.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:39 AM

7,104 posts, read 9,314,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No they are not all shortening. Perhaps you meant fat?

Maybe in cookbooks that came out recently, "shortening" only means hydrogenated vegetable oil. In the cookbooks I use, some of which came out over 100 years ago, Crisco had not yet been invented and "shortening" referred to any sort of fat that was solid at room temperature. I would not use bacon grease to replace butter in a cookie recipe unless the recipe was for bacon-scented cookies, but in the days when people used whatever they had available -- pig lard, beef tallow, goose grease, bacon drippings, or butter -- they all counted as shortening and were largely interchangeable. They still are. "Shortbread," for instance, originally called "shortening bread," is always made with real butter. The shortening is the butter, not Crisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or