Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 01:52 AM

19,385 posts, read 27,654,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yup. that's why often people prefer to bring or prepare their own food.
hidden dairy in lots of stuff, for instance, instant ramen.
Where's the dairy? https://www.instacart.com/food-lion/...odle-soup-3-oz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 02:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,092,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Wow! I would have never guessed that. We're all eating gluten like there's no tomorrow and don't even know it. I wonder what other things we're eating and don't even know it.

Do you know what the ingredients are that they use for thickening agents that contain gluten?
A read on the complex issue of thickeners = Cellulose Gum (Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose or CMC)

Old 12-08-2017, 03:23 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,856,471 times
OP- just keep it simple- brown rice, tofu, some veggies (sautéed mushrooms are a bonus) on top!

Old 12-10-2017, 01:27 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,436,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. This completely sounds like an eating disorder to me.

I would try and make something for her using one of your own recipes but substituting things like soy crumble for hamburger, gluten free pasta for egg noodles, etc.

This.

I agree that this sounds like an eating disorder especially since the OP said she is ten pounds underweight. Most people with that degree of complications in their eating tend to lean towards the anorexic.

Don't get me wrong, I know several people with eating disorders and they are lovely people.
I'm WAY more than 10 lbs. underweight plus I'm a picky eater - and I don't have an eating disorder! She may have a health issue that's at the root of it, it could be any NUMBER of things. Please, everyone - quit jumping on the "eating disorder" bandwagon - not only is it irrelevant in this conversation, but it's insulting!

Old 12-10-2017, 01:51 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,542,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Each flavor and each brand don't contain the same ingredients. I looked at a few different ones at Walmart last night and there were several ingredients that I have no idea what they are! I just googled Calcium Silicate and why on earth is that in food? It's used insulation and cement! Mmmmm tasty.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:01 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,542,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
OP- just keep it simple- brown rice, tofu, some veggies (sautéed mushrooms are a bonus) on top!
Why do many people assume that vegetarians eat tofu? Seems like so many want to put tofu in every dish for vegetarians. I know some vegetarians and vegans who don't eat tofu. Some say it's nasty tasting. Some don't like the GMO factor. Sorry, but brown rice, tofu, and veggies seems soooooooo cliche for a vegetarian dish...like no thought or effort went into it. Clearly, the OP wants to make a real effort and put real thought into this.

Here are dozens upon dozens of vegetarian dishes. So much more than brown rice, tofu, and veggies! There's some great looking quiches and burritos, soups, casseroles, salads, and pasta dishes. the pie crust for the quiche can be made with gluten free flour. Many of the pasta dishes could easily be made with spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti or other pastas. Thinly sliced zucchini can be substituted for lasagna pasta. There's a yummy looking Vegetarian Korma recipe. Quite the variety! I see some dishes my hubby would love to try. He tries to have a meat free dinner at least once a week.

Vegetarian Recipes - Allrecipes.com

Old 12-12-2017, 02:39 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,867,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Exactly! We do what we need to do for for the people we love.

That scalloped sweet potato casserole sounds really good! Do you have a recipe or a link to one?
I JUST now saw this, I have the recipe at home, I will try and remember to look it up and put it here. I think she made it up actually, she's a really good cook, was vegan and now eats eggs, and used to have a vegan food blog. She made up lots of vegan dishes, most were delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes