Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 07:41 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times

Advertisements

She may simply prefer her own food. I know I hate potlucks, I got food poisoning once that way, ever since then every dish looks like salmonella to me LOL

Some people are just super picky about food. She may not mind simply eating her own food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
hard one, as we are a family that eats almost everything and anything. One of my favorite would be either a broccoli and cauliflower salad or a spinach salad with beets, red onions and pecans if they are not on her restricted diet. Either salad is simple and healthy.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:23 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I like the idea of a bean chili, everyone would like that, I think, or a lentil curry, that is nice & filling. Salads are great, but if it is cold outside, I think a warm dish is better.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:29 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
How about Chinese fried rice? You have to buy gluten-free soy sauce, but fried rice is delicious and can contains all sorts of little bits of interesting stuff that doesn't have to be meat. Sliced green onion, diced water chestnuts, maybe a little bit of finely diced broccoli. Use fresh ginger and a good (sorry, that means expensive) sesame oil. There is a scrambled egg in fried rice, but she isnt vegan.

Everyone else at the potluck will dig into fried rice, too.

I have all sorts of delicious gluten free baked goods but I grind my own flour, which makes them difficult to share recipes. I'm away from my recipes. I have a marvelous pie apple upside down cake that you could buy all the ingredients for. Let me see if I can find the recipe online, or call my kid and get it.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:18 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I have no allergies or food intolerance at all, but I'm so strict about what I eat, that I also would be impossible as a dining partner at any restaurant. No grains, no sugar, no red meat, none of about half the kinds of fruit and vegetables available, no added salt nor spices and nothing that has been processed and degraded. The only dairy product I consume, is non-fat, plain yogurt, with no additives, except bacterial cultures.
Seriously???? Oh wait - aren't you the same guy who won't go to anyone's house that has a gas stove?

Old 12-05-2017, 12:18 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I hosted a potluck the other day. Figuring what to make was a challenge, since various people don't eat:
mayonnaise
spinach
dark meat chicken
red meat
dairy
gluten
sweet peppers
corn

The one thing everybody could eat was a bean salad. Green beans, cannelli beans, and julienned beets. Was pretty, too!

A crock-pot Thai chili sounds really good. A local restaurant makes it with chunks of pumpkin. Yum.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:23 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
https://www.google.com/search?q=vege...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 12-05-2017, 02:33 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
I do a vegetarian enchilada bake that I kind of came up with on my own with corn tortillas.

Saute a can of black beans with a nuked and cubed sweetpotato and a finely chopped red bell pepper. Add chili seasonings - cumin, chili powder, green onions and fresh garlic and cilantro. Also add some salsa for moisture. Then roll it into corn tortillas and put in a pan. Dump some enchilada sauce over it and a ton of mexican blend cheese. Bake until bubbly at 425 degrees.

It works out pretty yummy most of the time

Old 12-05-2017, 04:20 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
IF I DID ask her,she would tell me not to go to any trouble and to "make whatever I want". She is not a "martyr type". In fact, I think they whole gluten intolerance embarrasses her.
I also wanted it to be a surprise.

!
I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. This completely sounds like an eating disorder to me.

I would try and make something for her using one of your own recipes but substituting things like soy crumble for hamburger, gluten free pasta for egg noodles, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I could be wrong but to hear you describe her, the problem lies between her own ears and not with her digestive system. I've known many people that use dietary excuses for eating disorders. She'll likely find fault with anything short of raw fruits and vegetables, as she has myriad other "rules" that make sense only to her.

None of that should take away that she is indeed a lovely woman, a good friend, who does important works in making our world a nicer place.
This.

I agree that this sounds like an eating disorder especially since the OP said she is ten pounds underweight. Most people with that degree of complications in their eating tend to lean towards the anorexic.

Don't get me wrong, I know several people with eating disorders and they are lovely people.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:04 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. This completely sounds like an eating disorder to me.

I would try and make something for her using one of your own recipes but substituting things like soy crumble for hamburger, gluten free pasta for egg noodles, etc.

This.

I agree that this sounds like an eating disorder especially since the OP said she is ten pounds underweight. Most people with that degree of complications in their eating tend to lean towards the anorexic.

Don't get me wrong, I know several people with eating disorders and they are lovely people.
Being a vegetarian is NOT an "eating disorder." It's a choice (that I personally think is kinda nuts, but that's not my decision to make for others.)

Being allergic to gluten is a disease. It's called celiac disease and affects about 1% of the population. It's a serious, genetic illness.

Gluten "intolerance" is a mixed bag. Some people do not digest gluten well. Autistic children sometimes benefit from a gluten free diet. These days, most people who claim to be "gluten intolerant" believe that they can lose weight if they avoid gluten, have some other intestinal disturbance and blame gluten, or just want to be part of the latest fad.

But "eating disorder"? No freaking way. And I still say the OP is trying to be a nice person for a friend that she respects. Geez, guys, why all the hate? It's the holiday season!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes