Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 09:30 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. This completely sounds like an eating disorder to me.

I would try and make something for her using one of your own recipes but substituting things like soy crumble for hamburger, gluten free pasta for egg noodles, etc.

This.

I agree that this sounds like an eating disorder especially since the OP said she is ten pounds underweight. Most people with that degree of complications in their eating tend to lean towards the anorexic.

Don't get me wrong, I know several people with eating disorders and they are lovely people.
Wow, I wish I was underweight, I should be with how many restrictions I have in my diet. But the thing is, I can choose to be ‘picky’ about my food, or I can lose my colon and wear a bag for the rest of my life. I’ll stick with my ‘eating disorder’ thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 10:31 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
[quote=blueherons;50317617]I agree that this sounds like an eating disorder especially since the OP said she is ten pounds underweight. Most people with that degree of complications in their eating tend to lean towards the anorexic.

Actually, most people with celiac disease are underweight because of their digestive problems.

Most of the people I know who avoid gluten are overweight, and think not eating gluten will help them lose. It does, kind of; if you don't eat anything with wheat, you cut out a lot of carbs.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:36 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
This sounds like the Christmas dinner is at a restaurant:

You didn't say the pot luck was a different event.
Yes she did. She specifically asked about this potluck then gave the example of her skipping the other event at a restaurant. Reading requires attention.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:46 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

Most people with abnormal preoccupation with food have eating disorders is my point.
I'll be sure to pass that diagnosis on to my friends who are diabetic.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:48 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Some of you need to review your definition of anorexia. From the Oxford dictionary: "An emotional disorder characterized by an obsessive desire to lose weight by refusing to eat."

I don't see one single example of that in this thread. The people and eating habits of people described in this thread are simply individuals who have made CHOICES about what they will or will not eat. None are REFUSING to eat.

(I admit that those that claim to be "gluten intolerant" annoy the crap out of me. I like it to somebody with a companion dog getting a fake certification to say it's an emotional support or service animal. One denegrates true service animals, and the other denigrates people with true celiac disease.

And vegans? Yeah, for me, that's difficult to deal with. Especially because every single one I've ever met tries to be patronizing to me, and push their philosophy on to me like I'm an idiot for not seeing the truth. Exactly the opposite of every vegetarian I've ever met.)

Old 12-06-2017, 09:08 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
......... I'm away from my recipes. I have a marvelous pie apple upside down cake that you could buy all the ingredients for. Let me see if I can find the recipe online, or call my kid and get it.
Well now I am embarrassed. I couldn't find the recipe online, even though it is a gluten free classic. There were pages of gluten free cake mixes. My son took a look but he is flummoxed by my filing system.

Maybe those cake mixes are good? I haven't tried them, but pineapple upside down cake can be made with any white or yellow cake. It's not common any more and it looks fancy if you use pineapple rings and place a marichino cherry in the center of each ring

Old 12-06-2017, 09:14 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
........... Including one that insists she can’t have beer because of celiac disease while eating tacos ............
That is because beer does contain gluten. Beer is made from barley, which contains gluten. Wheat beer is made with wheat which contains gluten.

Of course she can eat tacos. Tacos are made with corn tortillas which do not contain gluten...as long as she checks that the meat in the taco wasn't thickened with flour, which it most often isnt. The rest of the taco, lettuce, tomato salsa is gluten free.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:13 AM

73 posts, read 102,067 times
Quote:
That is because beer does contain gluten. Beer is made from barley, which contains gluten. Wheat beer is made with wheat which contains gluten.

Of course she can eat tacos. Tacos are made with corn tortillas which do not contain gluten...as long as she checks that the meat in the taco wasn't thickened with flour, which it most often isnt. The rest of the taco, lettuce, tomato salsa is gluten free.
There are gluten free beers, by the way. There are many different grains that can be malted to make beer. Most use sorghum, oats, millet or rice. Some are better than other.

If someone truly needs to be gluten free, I will go out of my way to provide them food and drink. The current fad needs to die down so those that actually are suffering aren't met with such suspicion.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:15 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Yes she did. She specifically asked about this potluck then gave the example of her skipping the other event at a restaurant. Reading requires attention.
And I quoted her exactly. We'll have to agree to disagree. I did read by the way and I have a firm grasp on reading comprehension. Thanks for the English lesson!

Old 12-06-2017, 11:17 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Well now I am embarrassed. I couldn't find the recipe online, even though it is a gluten free classic. There were pages of gluten free cake mixes. My son took a look but he is flummoxed by my filing system.

Maybe those cake mixes are good? I haven't tried them, but pineapple upside down cake can be made with any white or yellow cake. It's not common any more and it looks fancy if you use pineapple rings and place a marichino cherry in the center of each ring
King Arthur Flour has a ton of gluten free mixes. There's even a gluten free recipe tab on this link. They have quite a bit to choose from. They have a few different gluten free flours as well.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/essentials/gluten-free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes