U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 07:10 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,180,246 times

Advertisements

I don't know if its from the 50's or 60's, but my mom would make tuna casserole with potato chips. 2 cans of tuna, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, crushed potato chips and then she added mushrooms, carrots or peas, depending on what we had left over or in the pantry. I still make it for myself on occasion - note its even better warmed up the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 07:33 PM

3,804 posts, read 1,613,544 times
creamed canned salmon on toast! I don't like fresh salmon, but love canned. go figure.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:20 PM

21,568 posts, read 14,187,164 times
My mom made a strawberry jello "salad" that was made of strawberry jello, frozen strawberries, and nuts. She jelled half of the liquid jello in a large pyrex pan, and over that layer, she put a layer of sour cream, sealing the edges in the pan. Then she poured the other half of the jello over, placed it in the fridge, and jelled the second layer.

I can't believe we considered this to be salad, but we did. It was actually good. But now I imagine I would find it too, too sweet.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:11 PM

11,844 posts, read 5,023,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
I'm really obsessed with that time period and I love watching recipe vids on youtube where they show you how women shopped and cooked in the 1950s. Stuff like casseroles, meatloafs, and desserts. Some of the recipes have weird ingredients or others are very simple. I also like watching those videos because a lot of times they include some history in there as well or talk about how much things cost back then, which is nuts because everything was so cheap compared to now!

Anyone here have any 50's recipes they could share? I'm making a list that I could try eventually.
Pinterest has a lot of them if you do a search. Also, try buying some old womens magazines from that time period. They usually have interesting old recipes in them and you'd probably enjoy reading some of the articles.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:30 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,834,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
...I don't like fresh salmon, but love canned. go figure.
I'm with you on that one. I really don't like fresh salmon anymore, but canned is great.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:06 PM

2,027 posts, read 826,426 times
Me and my siblings find it disgusting but both our parents love it.

HEAD CHEESE....... Yuk. It's neither cheese nor made with any part of a head, maybe it used to be. They probably smoked the head of a pig and took all the bits and pieces of meat and made this with it... Nothing wasted on the farm.

My cousin makes and a gifts a bunch of it to my parents every so often. Oscar Meyer used to make it and sell it in packages like bologna. I haven't seen it in decades.

It's made with plain gelatin and vinegar with bits of ham suspended in the gelatinous mix.

https://goo.gl/images/niuTHi

Old 12-11-2017, 10:10 PM

10,994 posts, read 17,487,206 times
My mom used to make us something that my grandma had made for her growing up - bananas sliced lengthwise and covered thickly with chopped peanuts.

I actually hate bananas most of the time, but I like to eat this about once a year for nostalgia.

I don't know if this recipe has a name.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:19 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
My mom used to make this for dad who was in the Marines and they served it often there. Creamed chipped beef on toast.... Don't know how to make it..
Did your dad call it SOS too? Mine did, it was **** on a shingle.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:37 PM

2,027 posts, read 826,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Did your dad call it SOS too? Mine did, it was **** on a shingle.
Yep, that's what they called it in the mess hall when he was in the Marines, that is what he still calls it. I'll fill in some more letters in case anyone else wants to know : s*1t on a shingle

Old 12-11-2017, 11:02 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,744,056 times
Like Nita said, there were a lot of Jello salads, which I personally could not stand...hate the texture. Jello poured into molds to make a fancy shape were very popular. Just about everything was put into jello...walnuts, canned fruit, mini-marshmallows, shredded coconut. For awhile I remember that there was jello in vegetable flavors!

I remember a lot of “comfort food” like meatloaf, salmon loaf (made with canned salmon), tuna noodle casserole, chicken a la King. Most vegetables were in a can, due to “convenience” (still have nightmares about canned spinach).

There were also comfort food desserts like rice pudding, bread pudding, tapioca pudding.

I remember some strange salads like Waldorf Salad...chopped-up red delicious apples with chopped celery & mayo...it was supposed to have been created at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in NYC...but, why? I also remember a salad made with grated raw carrots, raisins & mayo. It seemed like iceberg was the only lettuce available.

Fried bologna & fried Spam were popular as the meat course for dinner. Instant mashed potatoes were very popular...to me, they tasted like glue, & I never understood what was so hard about peeling, boiling & mashing real potatoes. When my daughter was growing up, she asked for instant potatoes. I had always made mashed potatoes fresh & from scratch, even though I was a working mother, so I asked her why...she said they had them at her friend’s house, so she wanted to try them “for the experience”

I’m sure I can think of more, but I’m remembering why I was such a skinny kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or