U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 01:32 AM

476 posts, read 297,772 times

Advertisements

Homemade chicken noodle soup is my go to easy meal. If no noodles, I add rice. I always have everything on hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 09:59 AM

13,308 posts, read 21,866,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post
Homemade chicken noodle soup is my go to easy meal. If no noodles, I add rice. I always have everything on hand.
I am simmering a pot right now - the whole house smells mouth-watering.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:16 PM

21,858 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Peppers & onions: Frying peppers/Cubanelle peppers deseeded & cut into vertical strips sauteed with sliced onions (yellow or sweet) until soft. Salt is optional.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:20 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,834,906 times
Sliced mushrooms sautéed in a pan with clarified butter, salt, pepper, and three dashes of Worcestershire sauce.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:21 PM

38,343 posts, read 2,897,028 times
Boneless chicken breast in the air fryer, rub with a spcie blend, & some olive oil & grill, ready super fast & spice blends can vary by mood.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:16 PM

540 posts, read 689,301 times
Here's mine...

Adjust all ingredients to your liking...

Broth - I use chicken
Tortellini's - I use the cheese stuffed ones you find in refrigerated section of the store
Spinach - a boat load! You know how it wilts
Green onions

Bring broth to a boil, add tortellini and cook until almost done, dump in a bunch of spinach and stir until fully wilted. Add chopped green onions and serve. Takes minutes and I love it!

Old 02-13-2018, 03:41 PM

36,479 posts, read 41,660,628 times
Sliced avocado sprinkled with salt and pepper on a toasted pumpernickel bagel.

Or black bean soup.

Or both.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:44 PM

36,479 posts, read 41,660,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDreams View Post
Here's mine...

Adjust all ingredients to your liking...

Broth - I use chicken
Tortellini's - I use the cheese stuffed ones you find in refrigerated section of the store
Spinach - a boat load! You know how it wilts
Green onions

Bring broth to a boil, add tortellini and cook until almost done, dump in a bunch of spinach and stir until fully wilted. Add chopped green onions and serve. Takes minutes and I love it!
This is a traditional hometown thing for me, except chopped onion is also cooked in the broth till transparent. Sometimes, diced celery, as well.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:42 PM

27,139 posts, read 29,534,576 times
Sausage, beans and greens.

Get sausage, a can of beans, water or broth and chopped kale or chard. If you have extra time, grab an onion too. Maybe some chili flakes. Or dried thyme. These are not necessary though.

1. chop the sausage into bite sized chunks or use a crumbled sausage. It all works. This is a good time to use reserved pork fat.
2. brown the sausage in oil (optional since many sausages have plenty of fat) over medium heat. If you are adding soices, add them here.
3. add onions halfway through if using
4. add some water/broth to deglaze the pan, you need around half a cup - 3/4 a cup
5. add beans
6. add greens
7. simmer till greens are cooked and beans are heated. Feel free to add some bell peppers if you want. Turn up the heat if there is too much liquid left.
8. add salt and pepper to taste. The sausage may have given your beans and greens plenty of flavor.

Serve on its own, with rice or over pasta! Ratios do not matter at all. All sausage works as well, I like hot links or andouille. But you can use anything - pork, beef or chicken. I am sure vegetarian sausage would be fine too.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:50 PM

27,139 posts, read 29,534,576 times
chickpea curry

Get a can of chickpeas, a can of diced tomatoes, half a chopped onion, a couple of cloves of garlic, ginger (if I do not have fresh ginger, I keep a jar of ginger juice), curry powder and chili flakes (or a fresh chili).

1. cook the onion over medium low heat in some oil, add the spices. I like maybe 1.5 tablespoons of curry powder. Add the chili flakes or fresh chili here.
2. once the onion is translucent, add the garlic, cook for a minute.
3. Add the diced tomatoes and rinsed canned chickpeas.
4. Add half a cup of water (or broth)
5. turn up the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes

Serve with rice. You can swap lentils (this increases the cooking time by 20 minutes).

Also add chicken if you like. You can cook it first in the pan before you add the cook the onions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or