Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rutabagas anyone?
Uh, uh - never tried one, never will 0 0%
I can't stand them 5 12.82%
I'm willing to try them 3 7.69%
I can take them or leave them 6 15.38%
I love rutabagas!!! 25 64.10%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 06:18 PM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Oh, yes. But for some reason my taste buds convert them to bitter root.

Well, it's just a hint of bitterness, and its quite pleasant to me.
However you can try to cut it down by peeling it thick to remove the bitter part. To see how much you have to remove - cut the root in half and peel the outer ring off.
See where it is on this picture:
Spoiler

then cut the rest in smaller pieces and cook like potatoes, in salt water. When done, drain the water, and mash with some butter and sourcream ( or even creamcheese). You can add a little nutmeg to taste.
I noticed that yellowish (inside) rutabags taste best that way...

You can also mix the mashed rutabag with mashed cooked carrots or cauliflower. Just like boiled potatoes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 08:10 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
...you can try to cut it down by peeling it thick to remove the bitter part. To see how much you have to remove - cut the root in half and peel the outer ring off...
Yep, I only tasted bitterness from a few cubes where I hadn't peeled the entire outer layer. We were quite pleased with the sweet, nutty flavor.

I'm going to try a few more recipes, like this French beef stew, that uses root vegetables.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:44 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,096,664 times
If rutabagas taste anything like turnips you can have my share.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:50 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,251,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The other night I grabbed a rutabaga (swede, neep) and put it in our grocery cart. My wife picked up that large, wax-coated behemoth and asked "What are you going to do with this?" To which I replied "Roast it."

Well, last night I peeled and cubed the rutabaga, tossed it in olive oil and salt, and I roasted it. My wife and child were amazed at how tasty and sweet it was.

Who else enjoys rutabagas, and how do you prepare them?
Oh year, rutabaga’s,mashed potatoes ,pork chops , big slice of onion and good Southern cornbread, Standard dinner in my house. We prepare the rutabaga’s by cubing and boil till tender.
We will give your method a try, sounds good.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:05 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
I put them into pot roast and stew... if I can get them.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:22 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
A good rutabaga is one that has "aged" in a cool place for a while in the Fall. That seems to mellow their earthiness out. But every now and then we get one that just doesn't the flavor we like.

I've never learned how to pick a tasty one although the smaller ones seem less tasty. Not sure there's any way to tell by looking at them.

It's traditional in our house to eat them at Christmas time in memory of our ancestors. I peel and cube them and put them in water with a little sugar in the refrigerator overnight and then boil them for about forty-five minutes the next day. Drain well and mash with a lot of butter and salt.

My dad also cubed them and put them in soups and stews. It you look close you'll see they are in Campbell's vegetable and beef soup.

I've mentioned before that during Medieval times much of Europe looked down on the countries which ate root vegetables but when the plague came those people proved to be healthier than those whose diet lacked vitamins. Why root vegetables? They stored longer than those which grew above ground.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:33 AM

126,262 posts, read 19,028,275 times
I make curry dishes from rutabaga.Quite tasty.

https://simpleindianrecipes.com/rutabagamasala.aspx

Old 01-03-2018, 08:28 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,037 times
I love rutabaga, I've never had it roasted before.
Definitely going to try this soon.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:34 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Yep, I only tasted bitterness from a few cubes where I hadn't peeled the entire outer layer. We were quite pleased with the sweet, nutty flavor.

I'm going to try a few more recipes, like this French beef stew, that uses root vegetables.
You should stew them that way. I love them roasted as you described, but in a good beef stew with reduced red wine, they are delicious with other root vegetables.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:18 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
I like rutabaga but have only had it the way my grandmother made it. Peel, cube and boil like you do with potatoes. Mash on plate and serve with butter, salt and pepper.

I will have to try it roasted. Now if there was an easier way to peel that thing I'm all ears
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes