Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rutabagas anyone?
Uh, uh - never tried one, never will 0 0%
I can't stand them 5 12.82%
I'm willing to try them 3 7.69%
I can take them or leave them 6 15.38%
I love rutabagas!!! 25 64.10%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 05:05 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times

Advertisements

The other night I grabbed a rutabaga (swede, neep) and put it in our grocery cart. My wife picked up that large, wax-coated behemoth and asked "What are you going to do with this?" To which I replied "Roast it."

Well, last night I peeled and cubed the rutabaga, tossed it in olive oil and salt, and I roasted it. My wife and child were amazed at how tasty and sweet it was.

Who else enjoys rutabagas, and how do you prepare them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 05:33 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Never had one but I'm interested. How long and at what temp did you broil it?

You got me googling and I came across this yumminess: https://food52.com/recipes/28757-rut...ers-vegetarian

Old 01-02-2018, 05:35 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
You need another option:

Never tried one but still plan to.

Is it hard to peel and cut up?

Old 01-02-2018, 05:36 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
I'd rather eat dirt!

Old 01-02-2018, 05:45 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,204 times
Roast them with other roots (carrot, parsnip, potatoes) and they turn into sweet deliciousness. Boil and mash with lashings of butter and pepper and they are divine.

One of my favorite veggies, shame they are so expensive over here in the UK they are pennies a lb and used for sheep feed in the winter months

Old 01-02-2018, 05:50 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I'd rather eat dirt!
Huh??? did you tried it - I mean - Rutabaga??
Nutty and sweet with a mild turnip-like flavor, rutabagas can be roasted, sautéed, baked, fried, boiled, mashed, and added to soups and stews. They also can be eaten raw as a snack or grated into salads or coleslaw. A mix of mashed rutabagas, potatoes, onions, and carrots, seasoned with butter and salt, is a hearty, warming dish. I love it in the winter, and I also love to eat the leaves!
I grow up with that stuff! Rutabaga is nor only delicious, but also very healthy - an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium, and manganese, and a good source of fiber, thiamin, vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus. All these provide such a combination of nutritional benefits as to promote healthy function throughout the body, while protecting from heart disease and cancer. In fact, clinical studies show that colorectal and prostate cancers can be diminished by ingesting healthy amounts of brassica vegetables, such as rutabaga.

If rutabaga is a new vegetable for you, give it a try roasted or sautéed with raw butter, salt and pepper, or processed for a delicious, creamy sauce.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:53 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Huh??? did you tried it - I mean - Rutabaga??
Nutty and sweet with a mild turnip-like flavor, rutabagas can be roasted, sautéed, baked, fried, boiled, mashed, and added to soups and stews. They also can be eaten raw as a snack or grated into salads or coleslaw. A mix of mashed rutabagas, potatoes, onions, and carrots, seasoned with butter and salt, is a hearty, warming dish. I love it in the winter, and I also love to eat the leaves!
I grow up with that stuff! Rutabaga is nor only delicious, but also very healthy - an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium, and manganese, and a good source of fiber, thiamin, vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus. All these provide such a combination of nutritional benefits as to promote healthy function throughout the body, while protecting from heart disease and cancer. In fact, clinical studies show that colorectal and prostate cancers can be diminished by ingesting healthy amounts of brassica vegetables, such as rutabaga.

If rutabaga is a new vegetable for you, give it a try roasted or sautéed with raw butter, salt and pepper, or processed for a delicious, creamy sauce.
Oh, yes. But for some reason my taste buds convert them to bitter root.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Never had one but I'm interested. How long and at what temp...
I roasted the cubes at 400°F for 45 minutes. You do have to flip them several times so they don't burn.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
You need another option:

Never tried one but still plan to.

Is it hard to peel and cut up?
I figured "I'm willing to try them" would catch that.

I slice off the ends, slice the skin off with a chef knife, the cube them. It's pretty easy to do with a sharp knife.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:07 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I figured "I'm willing to try them" would catch that.

I slice off the ends, slice the skin off with a chef knife, the cube them. It's pretty easy to do with a sharp knife.
Oops! Totally missed that option for some odd reason.

I am definitely going to try them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes