U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 12:47 PM

1,324 posts, read 649,311 times

Advertisements

Need low salt recipes and sauces that are low salt. Hubby is on HBP meds. So hard to plan meals. Appreciate any tips or recipes Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 01:20 PM

39,657 posts, read 2,995,231 times
Herbs or lemon juice are good. But try to verify if he is salt sensitive, not everyone has an adverse reaction to salt & bp.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:04 PM

32,386 posts, read 59,858,320 times
Just don't add salt to your usual recipes - for flavor, use herbs, spices, diced raw vegetables, onion and garlic, etc.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:20 PM

2,535 posts, read 1,830,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Just don't add salt to your usual recipes - for flavor, use herbs, spices, diced raw vegetables, onion and garlic, etc.
^^^good advice

Old 01-08-2018, 07:22 PM

3,301 posts, read 1,350,968 times
Celery seed can taste salty and celery is known in Chinese medicine to lower bp and raw celery can also be salty. If you don't have real salt for a while, some of the alternatives can taste pretty good. I know a lot of people who swear by Mrs. Dash, though I've never used it myself.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:56 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,912,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Herbs or lemon juice are good. But try to verify if he is salt sensitive, not everyone has an adverse reaction to salt & bp.

Right....I take BP med and don't worry over salt but do avoid canned soups, etc with excessive salt. I make my sauces in the usual manner...there are many products that are reduced sodium, it's plain on the label.

Most food without salt is dull and tasteless....that's why I'm not that strict with salt in foods.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:03 PM

6,544 posts, read 7,809,700 times
There are many online recipes for spice mixes like taco mix or whatever. I never buy packaged mixes anymore. Most are full of salt. Invest in a few spices, a few jars and make your own. A google search will turn up many recipes. Same with salad dressings.

When my husband was told to lower his sodium intake a few years ago, I purchased the New American Heart Association cookbook. There were many tasty recipes in it that even our then teenagers enjoyed. The American Heart Association also has many recipes on the website. https://recipes.heart.org/categories

It really wasn't hard to make the adjustments by making my own spice blends. Stay away from canned items unless it says low sodium. Tomato sauce is easy to find in a no salt version. There is a low sodium worcestershire sauce available and a low sodium soy sauce--be careful with that though. Many soups are available as low sodium.

I found it forced me to cook from scratch a bit more and use fewer prepared products. For example, I used to purchased jarred spaghetti sauce. It's easy enough to make it from scratch with a crock pot. I'll probably never bar the jarred sauce again. It tastes like sugar to us now.

Don't think of it as the "dreaded" low sodium. It's really an opportunity to eat more and better unprocessed foods. Most sodium in recipes doesn't come from adding a small bit of salt, but in using processed foods.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:52 PM

1,771 posts, read 3,754,588 times
The American Heart Association has a whole series of cookbooks that are really, really good. We found them after my husband's second heart attack. We use them frequently. Obviously they are designed to be heart healthy but the recopes are in general really great even not taking their healthiness into consideration.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:13 PM

10,542 posts, read 15,612,109 times
Buy red beats and squeeze beat juice. let him drink it daily. 1. it is high in iron so it increases o2 level in blood 2 is known to lower BP.

https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education...w_sodium_diet/

Old 01-10-2018, 01:27 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,360,256 times
Try some no-salt-added Penzeys spice mixes. I've found them to be a good company, and their website offers recipe tips:

https://www.penzeys.com/shop/spices/

The link above should take you to the no-salt blends.

As others have said, lemon juice, onions, garlic, and celery can be your friends. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or