Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 07:51 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,364,841 times

Advertisements

I finally cooked a PERFECT beef tenderloin. Let it sit out for 3 hours at room temp and then dried it really really well. Covered it with soft unsalted butter and tons of Montreal steak seasoning. Roasted it in a well heated 450 degree oven to EXACTLY 140 temp (might have been 138 -- constantly checking with my digital thermometer). Let it set for a solid 20 minutes and it was a perfect medium rare. Sliced it, covered with foil and saved all the accumulated juices which I quickly microwaved and poured over the meat right before serving.

Also tried a couple of new items at Trader Joes -- REALLY REALLY pleased with their chocolate pecan pie bar. Shaped like a strudel -- very fudgy yet had a pecan pie taste and good crust. I sliced it and served it on a tray with their Lemon Viennese Tart -- also quite good but on the tart side which I liked. Added the Trader Joe's dark chocolate salted carmels to the tray and it was a big success. Also had some Breyers strawberry ice cream in case anybody needed that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 08:47 AM

5,113 posts, read 3,381,821 times
We made Peking duck for the first time! We actually had a duck hanging in our walk-in closet with a fan drying it out for several hours. It worked - the skin got really crispy and was delicious. We had dim sum to go with it, with all the dough made from scratch - soup dumplings, shumai, potstickers, pork buns. And it was all orchestrated by hubby and our adult kids. I had nothing to do with it and basically sat around with my feet up drinking wine all day. But I did have clean-up duty. It was delicious and fun, but probably a one-off.

Oops - just realized this was a recipe thread, and I don't really have a recipe. Well, the fan worked!

Old 01-10-2018, 09:37 AM

29,667 posts, read 34,178,779 times
My sister is a gluten-free vegetarian, and I don't like the traditional Christmas breakfast casserole that my mom makes that everyone else loves. I usually make something else for my sister and I to eat--this year was a roasted red pepper and goat cheese quiche with a hash brown crust that turned out amazing. It might be my new favorite thing.

https://www.marthastewart.com/315691...sh-brown-crust

I also brought a cake that's a specialty at a local bakery (drove it 250+ miles!) and was informed that I should never come back without one.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 01-10-2018 at 09:49 AM..

Old 01-10-2018, 11:07 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,845,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My sister is a gluten-free vegetarian, and I don't like the traditional Christmas breakfast casserole that my mom makes that everyone else loves. I usually make something else for my sister and I to eat--this year was a roasted red pepper and goat cheese quiche with a hash brown crust that turned out amazing. It might be my new favorite thing.

https://www.marthastewart.com/315691...sh-brown-crust
Sounds good. I make crustless quiches a lot in a 9" x 13" baking dish, but using hash browns is something I think I'll try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I also brought a cake that's a specialty at a local bakery (drove it 250+ miles!) and was informed that I should never come back without one.
Prantl's Burnt Almond Torte?

Old 01-10-2018, 11:24 AM

29,667 posts, read 34,178,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post

Prantl's Burnt Almond Torte?
Not even that--the Giant Eagle version of the Prantl's torte (it's bigger and cheaper and I didn't have to go to Shadyside to get one ) It's a good cake, but the family went crazy for it.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:49 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,791,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
We made Peking duck for the first time! We actually had a duck hanging in our walk-in closet with a fan drying it out for several hours...
Did you inflate the skin?

Old 01-11-2018, 06:11 AM

20,866 posts, read 28,227,658 times
My prime rib came out perfect!

Old 01-14-2018, 09:22 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,856,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My prime rib came out perfect!
mine did too- I am a convert to the "turn the oven off" for an hour or two to let it really really slow cook, recipe....

Old 01-14-2018, 09:53 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,419,437 times
The Bishop's Bread that Lodestar posted in the recipes forum was a big success. I do think I may have misread the recipe and added a lot more chocolate than it called for.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:38 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,913,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
The Bishop's Bread that Lodestar posted in the recipes forum was a big success. I do think I may have misread the recipe and added a lot more chocolate than it called for.
"misread"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes