U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 11:35 AM

36,981 posts, read 45,435,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I just had this happen too. I'm not positive but I think my oven was too hot. Also having your dish on a top rack where the heat rises........
I’m wondering if a higher heat, but shorter time would work, rather than lower heat and longer time? Get the taters cooked and out of the oven quicker. I guess some experimentation is in order.

I looked at a few recipes online, and they called for temps of 350 and 375.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 01:10 PM

4,649 posts, read 3,973,054 times
If you coat each potato slice lightly in seasoned flour before layering in pan, you will end up with thicker dish. I only use heavy cream & butter which has been heated but not broken prior to pouring over potatoes. If I don't have enough cream, I use milk with beaten egg added. I put dash or two of nutmeg in the cream.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:11 PM

15,489 posts, read 17,657,147 times
I watched a video of someone making proper mac and cheese with a bechamel some years ago, and now bechamel is my go to whenever I make any cream and/or cheese based recipe that undergoes high heat cooking.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:03 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,145,003 times
Besides doing a Bechamel you could try evaporated milk. It doesn't taste like evaporated milk in cooking and it never breaks. My grandmother only used that, and now I understand why. It's also good because you can add some while cooking if you mis-calculated and it won't give you a weird outcome. And you don't need flour.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:12 PM

2,482 posts, read 1,433,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I watched a video of someone making proper mac and cheese with a bechamel some years ago, and now bechamel is my go to whenever I make any cream and/or cheese based recipe that undergoes high heat cooking.
I didn't know there was any other way to make Mac and Cheese without bechamel until I saw that elbow mac and velveeta combo....

Old 01-12-2018, 06:51 PM

15,489 posts, read 17,657,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Besides doing a Bechamel you could try evaporated milk. It doesn't taste like evaporated milk in cooking and it never breaks. My grandmother only used that, and now I understand why. It's also good because you can add some while cooking if you mis-calculated and it won't give you a weird outcome. And you don't need flour.
This is a great idea. Thanks. I feel like evaporated milk can be used in a lot of recipes I use, especially since I am trying to cut out excess flour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
I didn't know there was any other way to make Mac and Cheese without bechamel until I saw that elbow mac and velveeta combo....
Growing up, my mother was the sole cook in the family, and being an immigrant with her own culinary proclivities, I was probably served 'mac and cheese' maybe about a dozen times before I reached the age where I was cooking for myself. It just wasn't a regular part of my family's meal rotation which mainly focused on foods from a Scandinavian/German tradition with a few influences from where I grew up in America (Anglo, Italian).

But I knew there was a "real" mac and cheese, not the orange powder/Velveeta kind, and I have made it proper a few times. People mock it, but it is real American cuisine, and done right with quality ingredients deserves to stand on any table in my opinion.

I wish I could eat more of it, but I am not big on making pasta a cornerstone of my diet.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:07 AM

71,717 posts, read 83,329,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Iím wondering if a higher heat, but shorter time would work, rather than lower heat and longer time? Get the taters cooked and out of the oven quicker. I guess some experimentation is in order.

I looked at a few recipes online, and they called for temps of 350 and 375.
Hard to tell what happened. I made them last night just like have for maybe 60 years and mine curdled as well. I have no idea what I did. I even did the white sauce ahead like I always do. It was still good and certainly we ate plenty, but I was just surprised.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:30 AM

11 posts, read 3,360 times
never tried to cook on margarine, but I think the problem can be as milk

Old 01-13-2018, 09:34 AM

17,478 posts, read 20,838,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not sure what you mean, Lubby. If I used a white sauce it would already be thickened.
what I mean is maybe the sauce wasn't thick enough before you poured it on the potatoes.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:39 AM

21,625 posts, read 14,218,760 times
https://food52.com/blog/14876-kitche...-curdled-sauce

You might find a clue in this article.

I think you either cooked the sauce too long and it broke, or the oven got too hot and then it broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes