U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-10-2018, 04:53 PM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
33,945 posts, read 42,132,545 times
Reputation: 56037

Advertisements

Iím stumped.
I always make scalloped potatoes in the same way, and in the same dish. Usually they turn out fine, but today, and one other time a few years ago, something bad happened.

The sauce didnít thicken, but curdled and separated. I added some sweet potato in with the white potato, so Iím wondering if there might be some enzymes in the sweet potato that caused it? I usually use salted butter, but this time it was unsalted. Iíve made them with 1% to half and half and that doesnít seem to affect the end product. The milk was not curdled.

The last time this happened, I used margarine, so that is what I blamed it on.

Anyone? Anyone?

FYI, I donít know how yíall make them, but I layer potato slices, dobs of butter and about a T. of flour, repeat, and fill to within a half inch of the top with milk. Sometimes I add some grated cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2018, 05:02 PM
 
2,617 posts, read 2,676,105 times
Reputation: 7526
We make them the same way as you. Every once in awhile they do curdle. Never thought of putting a sweet potato in, we usually just bake them, cut in half, mush up with fork a little, add cinnamon, butter and brown sugar, reheat until sugar is melted and eat !! I would blame everything on margarine, would never let it into my house. I can remember when it first came out (back in the late 40s' or early 50s') and there were 2 tubes that you had to squeeze together to mix it. Tasted horrible then and still does in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2018, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Inman Park (Atlanta, GA)
21,865 posts, read 12,672,437 times
Reputation: 14191
I think the heat was too high. My creamed based sauces have broken in the past so now I just take the extra time and make a roux.

Preventing curdled sauce in scalloped potatoes - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Quote:
The curdling is caused by high heat, which is hard to avoid in an oven. So to keep the sauce together, tackle it before the dish goes in the oven. Instead of simply layering grated cheese and milk or cream with the potatoes, you need to make a smooth cheese sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2018, 05:49 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
68,680 posts, read 78,674,307 times
Reputation: 38093
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Iím stumped.
I always make scalloped potatoes in the same way, and in the same dish. Usually they turn out fine, but today, and one other time a few years ago, something bad happened.

The sauce didnít thicken, but curdled and separated. I added some sweet potato in with the white potato, so Iím wondering if there might be some enzymes in the sweet potato that caused it? I usually use salted butter, but this time it was unsalted. Iíve made them with 1% to half and half and that doesnít seem to affect the end product. The milk was not curdled.

The last time this happened, I used margarine, so that is what I blamed it on.

Anyone? Anyone?

FYI, I donít know how yíall make them, but I layer potato slices, dobs of butter and about a T. of flour, repeat, and fill to within a half inch of the top with milk. Sometimes I add some grated cheese.
I don't know why the sweet potato would make a difference. I have never tried mixing them, but sounds pretty good. The only difference in the way you make them and how I do it is: I actually make a white sauce, layer the potatoes, add a little white sauce and repeat. I like to slice onions as well, but that isn't what you are asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2018, 06:01 AM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
33,945 posts, read 42,132,545 times
Reputation: 56037
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I think the heat was too high. My creamed based sauces have broken in the past so now I just take the extra time and make a roux.

Preventing curdled sauce in scalloped potatoes - tribunedigital-chicagotribune
Well, it baked at 325 for about an hour. No different than other times, so Iím not sure if that is the reason. If I made a white sauce, the potatoes would still need to bake for an hour or so to cook the potatoes. I guess youíre saying a white sauce wonít break?

It just seems strange that Iíve made them the same way forever, but have only had this happen twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2018, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Islip,NY
16,835 posts, read 19,438,313 times
Reputation: 17019
before pouring the white sauce on the potatoes, maybe you could thicken the sauce a little first with some cornstarch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2018, 06:29 AM
 
Location: North Oakland
8,769 posts, read 8,077,531 times
Reputation: 13159
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I think the heat was too high. My creamed based sauces have broken in the past so now I just take the extra time and make a roux.

Preventing curdled sauce in scalloped potatoes - tribunedigital-chicagotribune
This happened to a friend one Thanksgiving, and she attributed it to the heat being too high. Do you have an oven thermometer? (I realize you've made scalloped potatoes in the same oven many times, but maybe something happened.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2018, 07:37 AM
 
7,815 posts, read 11,041,134 times
Reputation: 9998
I just had this happen too. I'm not positive but I think my oven was too hot. Also having your dish on a top rack where the heat rises........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2018, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Eugene, Oregon
6,891 posts, read 2,100,534 times
Reputation: 9202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
We make them the same way as you. Every once in awhile they do curdle. Never thought of putting a sweet potato in, we usually just bake them, cut in half, mush up with fork a little, add cinnamon, butter and brown sugar, reheat until sugar is melted and eat !! I would blame everything on margarine, would never let it into my house. I can remember when it first came out (back in the late 40s' or early 50s') and there were 2 tubes that you had to squeeze together to mix it. Tasted horrible then and still does in my book.
When margarine was put on the market, it was sometime around 1944 or '45. The Dairy Industry had fought hook and claw against it being allowed and had won a concession, that it was not to be colored yellow, but had to be left white, the way it was naturally. The makers of margarine countered this, by putting a little packet of dye in with it, that had to be mixed-in by hand.

We did this mixing just one time and it was a complete mess. The dye would not blend evenly and rumors spread, that it was toxic (they may have been correct). Fortunately, lawmakers quickly rectified this and influenced the Food & Drug Administration to allow coloring of it at the factory. But the Dairy Industry has been successful to this day, of keeping it out of dairy sections and usually displayed at the other end of stores. They caused the same sanctions to be applied to tofu and other soybean products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2018, 11:32 AM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
33,945 posts, read 42,132,545 times
Reputation: 56037
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
before pouring the white sauce on the potatoes, maybe you could thicken the sauce a little first with some cornstarch.
Not sure what you mean, Lubby. If I used a white sauce it would already be thickened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top