U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 06:04 AM

2,154 posts, read 2,351,898 times

Advertisements

This is a simple easy recipe we love. We've used it with chicken, pork and fish.

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cinnamon
5 or 6 chicken thighs

Combine all the first six ingredients in a large glass cooking dish. Add the thighs, flipping them to cover with the marinade, then shove them in the oven at 425 for 30 minutes.
While you are waiting make some white rice.
When the thighs are done put them over a bed of rice to serve.

HINT: I usually double the marinade (first 6) because my family loves plenty of juice over the rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 09:40 AM

2,321 posts, read 1,194,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I grill them inside/outside. I egg and bread them and fry them like chicken cutlets. I never make chicken in the crockpot.
crockpot for me is when I am making fairly large quantities (ex a large stew we will eat for a few days) and I have other things to do- put 5 lbs of chicken and seasonings, a potato or sweet potato or two, and some greens - set that thing for 8 hours - and while I am busy - food is being made, hassle free....

Old 01-17-2018, 10:52 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,353,743 times
You can use a slow cooker to make layered enchiladas verdes.

Start with a layer of chopped tomatillos, thinly sliced onions, chopped cilantro, and roasted poblanos (you could use canned hatch chiles). Then put in chicken and a layer of shredded jack (I'd lightly oil the slow cooker first). Then corn tortillas, more tomatillos and chiles, a little more cilantro, and more chicken. Cook on high for about 4 hours, then add more cheese on top. You'll want to salt and pepper your chicken, plus maybe add a bit of chili powder and cumin depending on your preferences.

This will look like a gloppy mess, but it will taste good!

Old 01-17-2018, 07:48 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,827,279 times
Chicken shawarma served in a folded pita with tzatziki sauce and Israeli salad.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:12 PM

17,464 posts, read 20,806,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
crockpot for me is when I am making fairly large quantities (ex a large stew we will eat for a few days) and I have other things to do- put 5 lbs of chicken and seasonings, a potato or sweet potato or two, and some greens - set that thing for 8 hours - and while I am busy - food is being made, hassle free....
My husband has banned me from making any meat in the crockpot except for chili and corned beef. He says it comes out dry and chewy.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:17 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,827,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My husband has banned me from making any meat in the crockpot except for chili and corned beef. He says it comes out dry and chewy.
You have to use a meat that contains plenty of fat and connective tissue that will break-down during the low-and-slow cooking process. That oxtail recipe Praline posted should change his mind.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:40 PM

1,228 posts, read 605,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
This is a simple easy recipe we love. We've used it with chicken, pork and fish.

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cinnamon
5 or 6 chicken thighs

Combine all the first six ingredients in a large glass cooking dish. Add the thighs, flipping them to cover with the marinade, then shove them in the oven at 425 for 30 minutes.
While you are waiting make some white rice.
When the thighs are done put them over a bed of rice to serve.

HINT: I usually double the marinade (first 6) because my family loves plenty of juice over the rice.

Tried this recipe today......very good. Hubby didn`t like the sauce on the rice, but liked it on the chicken. I liked it on both. It`s a keeper. Thanks getatag

Old 01-22-2018, 01:17 PM

155 posts, read 70,053 times
As mentioned ... terriyaki or fajitas are the simplest most basic recipes / use of them.

Fry a few up in a skillet with some breading for quick chicken sandwichs / season to taste.

I prefer white chicken meat myself when making chicken at home BBQ grilled mostly.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:16 AM

3,372 posts, read 3,763,082 times
I have a fabulous taco stew recipe for the crockpot that calls for chicken breasts. I used 2 boneless, skinless thighs in it this time and the results were WONDERFUL. I didn't have to take them out and shred them and return them to the pot like you do with breasts. I poked them a little bit about and hour before we ate and they fell right apart. If anyone wants the recipe, I'll share.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:10 PM

1,228 posts, read 605,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I have a fabulous taco stew recipe for the crockpot that calls for chicken breasts. I used 2 boneless, skinless thighs in it this time and the results were WONDERFUL. I didn't have to take them out and shred them and return them to the pot like you do with breasts. I poked them a little bit about and hour before we ate and they fell right apart. If anyone wants the recipe, I'll share.
I would love the recipe Mrs.Cool......love Mexican food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes