U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 10:32 AM

17,470 posts, read 20,820,466 times

Advertisements

I could not bring myself to try it. Just not my thing, maybe if I could get past the fact that it was a tongue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 11:06 AM

596 posts, read 263,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPatriot View Post
Sorry if this offends anyone ...

I just do not understand why anyone here in the USA ( yea I get how 3rd world countries are left with the lesser cuts of the cow )

How can the tongue of the cow be as pleasurable and palatable ( is that even a word ) as the premium beef cuts that are similarly priced ?

Maybe I am missing out on the meal of a lifetime not eating a cows tongue. Would I try it if absolutely no other option to survive is available ? Yes I would of course

Would I try it when every other cut of the beef is available to me ? Absolutely not

Not trying to bash anyone who likes a certain meal ... if you are happy, I am happy for you

Its just not for me .... sorry
I understand what you are saying, but until you try it...seriously good eats. Brisket is a cheap cut, packed with flavor. Beef tenderloin is typically the most expensive, no taste, just tender. My kids have turned down tenderloin over tongue/heart/brisket.

I've converted many people that wouldn't eat tongue or heart, every time they are shocked with how great the flavor is.

It's not something I'd want to eat every day, but it is something I look forward to... as well with my kids.

Had a "Fear Factor" for one of my kids birthdays. Had tongue and heart, they(his friends, both boys and girls) were around 12 years old. I smoked both cuts, they were tender, served sliced on a cracker. The kids ended up wanting more of the "meat" to eat. They ate it all. At first they didn't want to, then a couple even asked for more "steak". lol

Point is, don't judge it until you try it.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:44 AM

155 posts, read 70,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
I understand what you are saying, but until you try it...seriously good eats. Brisket is a cheap cut, packed with flavor. Beef tenderloin is typically the most expensive, no taste, just tender. My kids have turned down tenderloin over tongue/heart/brisket.

I've converted many people that wouldn't eat tongue or heart, every time they are shocked with how great the flavor is.

It's not something I'd want to eat every day, but it is something I look forward to... as well with my kids.

Had a "Fear Factor" for one of my kids birthdays. Had tongue and heart, they(his friends, both boys and girls) were around 12 years old. I smoked both cuts, they were tender, served sliced on a cracker. The kids ended up wanting more of the "meat" to eat. They ate it all. At first they didn't want to, then a couple even asked for more "steak". lol

Point is, don't judge it until you try it.
I am only judging inside my own melon.

I admire everyones willingness to try and experiment with diff foods. I am just not that adventurous ... which is my loss. Very likely I would like beef tongue as I am not a picky eater. There are not many times I can recall me ever spitting something out of my mouth.

No doubt the flavor is unique and I am sure its as good as you all claim... I just cannot get the nasty wiggly tongue out of my thoughts to sit down and eat the darn thing.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:42 PM

58,058 posts, read 40,812,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I could not bring myself to try it. Just not my thing, maybe if I could get past the fact that it was a tongue.
I had to think about it but it's just a muscle like a steak or roast.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I had the opportunity to try tacos de lengua in a little taqueria in Guadalajara. They were amazing but I don't think I would want to try to cook it on my own. My husband's cousin made a tongue roast for us once - it was just OK.

That's my problem, usually cooking for one or maybe two people and every time I see tongue at the market they look like a 6 month supply. But, there's a very authentic Mom & Pop taqueria not far from me and every now and then I just gotta go for lunch.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:57 AM

3,843 posts, read 9,412,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That's my problem, usually cooking for one or maybe two people and every time I see tongue at the market they look like a 6 month supply. But, there's a very authentic Mom & Pop taqueria not far from me and every now and then I just gotta go for lunch.
You know that just reminded me that we have a taco house not far from us and they serve lengua - I have heard from my friends from Mexico that this place is as close to authentic as you're going to get in Texas. I need to go give them a try!

Old 01-25-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
You know that just reminded me that we have a taco house not far from us and they serve lengua - I have heard from my friends from Mexico that this place is as close to authentic as you're going to get in Texas. I need to go give them a try!

People tell me the same about my local place in coastal NC, I haven't been to Mexico but their food is a step above what I've had in fancier/pricier places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes