Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 11:51 AM

15,082 posts, read 14,291,533 times

Advertisements

I like a Chinese potato salad that a neighbour from Manchuria introduced me to.
Potatoes, grated Chinese cabbage, eggs, green onions, peas, dill, mayo and a touch of rice vinegar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 01:40 PM

20,894 posts, read 28,287,318 times
My mom's recipe is as follows:
2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and quartered (what ever type you like)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup regular Hellman's mayo
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. onion powder.

Boil potatoes until tender but not too soft. Let drain and cool in a colander for about 20 minutes, place is an large bowl, add sour cream, mayo and spices. Mix well and chill for 1 hour. You can cut the potatoes smaller too.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:44 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,604,458 times
Hot German Potato Salad with lots of bacon.

Oh yeah and Beer.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:42 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,658,950 times
Now I admit I vary greatly on amounts but not ingredients.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/10769870-post62.html

OK !! This is it!! My "Texas Potato Salad" Recipe!!

Boil 5 med to large russet potatoes to (fork tender) cut in 4 to 6 pieces
Boil 4 large eggs ..peel and mash or slice up
Combine in large bowl with following:
1- 1/3 cup Mayo (preferably Hellman's)
3/8 cup of decent mustard
1 stalk celery diced or minced
1/3 of a tennis ball sized onion diced or minced
1/4 cup minced dill pickle....reduced from 1/3 cup
1/4 of a med bell pepper diced or minced ...reduced from 1/3 cup
1 or 2 Tbsp. of minced green or black olives optional.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:43 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,261,749 times
A must on potato salad of any kind:

pickle relish
dill pickles chopped
sweet pickles chopped

Old 01-28-2014, 04:53 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,303,450 times
Some great recipes

I think I'll look through and get some common ingredients and try a few different ones.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:28 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,443,557 times
For those of you who like a yellow potato salad, and no mayo, do I have a recipe for you!

Calories in Potato Salad with Double Mustard Dressing | Nutrition and Health Facts

This is Mark Bittman's ( NY Times, How to Cook Everything ) Double Mustard potato salad recipe. It's too plain as-is, I like to make it very colorful and tasty by adding chopped red and green bell pepper. I think a chile pepper would be good too.

I also make the mayo-based kind. I like it simple, no eggs. Just sweet onion and celery, though dill pickles sound good. My Russian roommate's mother made hers with a thinner, but creamy dressing, peas, and pickles.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:35 PM

50,175 posts, read 63,623,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I'm seeing some great new add-ins that I'd never have thought of (dill pickles, next batch will have diced dill pickles, for sure!). Here's one thing that I do that I haven't seen on this thread: mash the yolks of the boiled eggs, and add it to the mayonnaise/mustard mixture. I also add equal amounts of sugar and vinegar (start with 1 tsp. of each to see if you like it). It just adds a bit of extra zip to the dressing. I also mix the dressing completely with all of the spices/add-ins before mixing it into the potato/egg/onion mixture. Oh, something else that was a BIG hit with the kids: instead of onion, I sometimes make a small batch with diced apples. Still gives a nice crunch, slightly sweet and more kid friendly
That sounds good. Kind of like Deviled Egg Potato Salad.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:12 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,646,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I believe I may have read on here that someone else does this to make mashed potatoes but they microwave the potatoes. I tried it and it was pretty good. Such a great tip!
Good thinking...and so much faster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Hard-boiled eggs and/or sweet relish do no harm either
Those are our favorites, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I made potato salad w/ leftover baked potatoes once and have never gone the boiling route again. Tastes better and they are nice and firm.
I love this idea! When we bake potates, we always bake extra. In this case, we'd have to book several more than usual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My mom's potato salad
3 lbs potatoes- ukon gold or red skinned
1 cup sour cream
1 cup hellman's mayo
1 tsp salt- can add more if needed
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp onion powder- can add more if needed

Wash and peel potatoes, cut into bite sized chunks- not too small, not too big- about the size of a ping pong ball.

place potatoes in cold salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender. Drain and place in a very big bowl. Add the next 5 ingredients and mix well. can be served right away or left in the fridge for an hour and served cold. I prefer it cold. I have also added a little fresh dill to this as well.
I just love the simplicity of this recipe! It seems like one that any child might eat, as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I always make mine very simple. Potaotes, hard boiled eggs, celery, salt, pepper, and a little onion, mixed with a splash of rice vinegar and Kraft mayonnaise. If I'm feeling very daring, I might put in a teas. of Dijon mustard and a pinch of dill.
There is something about the combination of rice vinegar and Kraft mayo that seems to me to be the perfect potato salad flavor.
I love the flavor of mayo and rice vinegar, too! It also makes for a great cole slaw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
wondering if olive in potato salad is more of a northern thing and pickle relish more of a southern thing? never even heard of olives in potato salad. Actually I don't recall seeing too many olives in anything my southern mother ever fixed. Nobody in my family likes olives but we are a pickle crazy bunch. And it has to be Mt. Olive pickles made right here in N.C.

funny story. After WWII my Army officer Dad and my mother were moving back to Oklahoma from North Carolina where she lived while he was off to war. She went to the store to buy a case of Mt. Olive pickles to take with her. Daddy was furious saying "Good God woman, they have pickles in Oklahoma you know". To which she replied "But they don't have Mt. Olive pickles and I won't eat just any pickle." I wasn't even born them but that story was told a million times over the years. Every holiday or special dinner has a pretty dish of Mt. Olive Sweet Gherkins and I guess my own children will keep up the tradition.
Interesting deductions! I'll add a few thoughts of my own to that...it isn't always where your family lived or was from but perhaps where their ancestors were from. I can't help but giggle because so many people have commented that they plan on trying new ingredients that they've read here and now, they will be thoroughly confusing generations to come! Hahaha! I should add that many others here have said they got a recipe from a friend, neighbor, or at a potluck...soooo, there ya go. Now, we've melded into the "melting pot" that is America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
My favorite potato salad recipe been making this 33 years now has potatoes, shallot (onion), flat parsley , sweet & sour gherkins/dill pickles diced into bits, hard-boiled eggs, dill spice, fine seasalt, freshly milled black pepper & white pepper and paprika powder , plenty of mayonaisse of a good quality. Mix everything well and leave a few hours preferably overnight in the fridge so flavors blend well.Any leftovers are a good sandwhich filler. Happy eating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
Mine is simple and from pioneer woman
Small sweet pickles
Hard boiled eggs
Red or Yukon potatoes
Hellmans Mayo
Green onions
Mustard (I prefer spicy)

Perfect Potato Salad | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond
Thank you for giving a llink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I make it German style. Bacon and vinegar. Only way I'll eat it other than ranch potato salad. (Buttermilk ranch dressing instead of mayo)
Ranch dressing is such a fave of my husband. Maybe we should make a bunch of tiny batches to see what each one tastes like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Years ago a neighbor served me this potato salad. Such a simple recipe, but so good. You can make as much or as little as you want, using this ratio.

1 onion for every 2 potatoes
1 hardboiled egg for every potato

Boil potatoes in skin. When tender, remove skin and flake with a fork into small pieces. While potatoes are still hot, pour Catalina French salad dressing over them. Let dressing soak into potatoes and when cooled a bit, add chopped onions and hardboiled eggs, then enough mayonnaise to taste.
Okay, now that is about as different as it gets! With the Catalina dressing, it gives new meaning to the term, potato SALAD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Don't we already have a thread on this somewhere?

Potatoes, mayo, chopped egg, celery, onion, pepper.
Ummm...it's probably just this one. I think it started in 2009. Yours sounds a lot like ours, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I'm seeing some great new add-ins that I'd never have thought of (dill pickles, next batch will have diced dill pickles, for sure!). Here's one thing that I do that I haven't seen on this thread: mash the yolks of the boiled eggs, and add it to the mayonnaise/mustard mixture. I also add equal amounts of sugar and vinegar (start with 1 tsp. of each to see if you like it). It just adds a bit of extra zip to the dressing. I also mix the dressing completely with all of the spices/add-ins before mixing it into the potato/egg/onion mixture. Oh, something else that was a BIG hit with the kids: instead of onion, I sometimes make a small batch with diced apples. Still gives a nice crunch, slightly sweet and more kid friendly
I love the idea of the apples instead of onions!!! Yummo! Thanks!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:43 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,927,961 times
4 large Potoatoes russet boiled, peeled and chopped

at least a 1/4 cup of each:

Bell pepper diced
onion diced
celery stalk w tops diced
black and green olives diced
dill pickle diced
pimientos diced

Mayo enough to bind everything well
Yellow mustard enough to color and just to taste

Sprinkle with paprika and refrigerate Serve with baked ham or BBQ.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes