U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 09:21 AM

16,647 posts, read 26,610,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
lubby, I'm not sure its the Soy sauce - I watch MSG carefully as I've heard of nasty side effects - but I have noticed when I eat things with Soy Sauce my rings are tighter afterwards.
That sounds like water retention from the sodium. Have you tried reduced-sodium soy sauce to see if that makes a difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 09:25 AM

71,671 posts, read 83,230,487 times
Well first of all in case you haven't tried it, low sodium helps with the swelling. It doesn't have nearly the flavor but it is certainly better than nothing.Someone suggested sesame oil. This has become one of our stand by oil for so many things. Of course ginger is another spice to add flavor. You can also add cilantro, garlic, cumin, as well as your veggies. If you do not want to use sesame oil you can try peanut sauce or combination of both as well as nuts themselves. We love fried rice, have it a couple times a month and do not always use meat or fish in it. Most of the time yes, but not always.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:31 AM

4,029 posts, read 4,828,021 times
Use very finely chopped mushrooms to add umami since you're leaving out the meat. cook them in a dry pan until most of the water has cooked out, then set aside and start your aromatics as usual and add the mushrooms back in when the onions are tender and cook the rest of the dish as you normally would.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:52 AM

1,246 posts, read 881,942 times
I always used reduced sodium soy sauce, as another member suggested. I don't notice that much of a difference, but then, I'm used to using it.

FRIED RICE

This tastes even better than the restaurant version!

INGREDIENTS:

3 Tbsp. butter/margarine, divided
2 eggs, whisked
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 small white onion, diced
1/2 cup frozen peas
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper
4 cups cooked and chilled rice
3 green onions, thinly sliced
3-4 Tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce, or more to taste
2 tsp. oyster sauce (optional)
1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
cashews (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

Heat 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until melted. Add egg, and cook until scrambled, stirring occasionally. Remove egg, and transfer to a separate plate.

Add an additional 1 tablespoon butter to the pan and heat until melted. Add carrots, onion, peas and garlic, and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes or until the onion and carrots are soft. Increase heat to high, add in the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter, and stir until melted. Immediately add the rice, green onions, soy sauce and oyster sauce (if using), and stir until combined. Continue stirring for an additional 3 minutes to fry the rice. Then add in the eggs and stir to combine. Add the sesame oil, stir to combine, and remove from heat. Top with cashews.

Serve warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or