U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 11:10 PM

847 posts, read 1,235,756 times

Advertisements

I want to like chicken breast more but I can never prepare it in a way where it is juicy and flavorful. Most chicken recipes call for breasts but i usually sub in thighs and the dish never comes out the way I want so I wanna try using breasts. Like when you make fettucine alfredo with thighs it tastes completely different and I don't like the way it comes out. Now I will say, that I love when you go to a restaurant and get chicken tenders made from chicken breasts. The only way I usually will eat chicken breasts if it is prepared like this or if the chicken has a thick sauce to go over it (sweet n sour chicken). Anyone get what I am saying? Have you always loved chicken breast? Also, is chicken breast really that much healthier than thighs? I kinda get sick of eating thighs after a while anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 05:36 AM

16,649 posts, read 26,635,371 times
This is super-easy. The brining and the high-temp/fast-bake ensure that it's moist. Make sure that you do the brining (it's just water and salt and letting it sit) -- it's an important step.

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/baked-chicken-breast/

Old 02-11-2018, 06:41 AM

21,116 posts, read 30,210,890 times
Americans tend to be into boneless-skinless chicken and as a result there's really no flavor and it tends to lose moisture much quicker when cooked, not to mention we tend to way overcook it too. You might invest in a good meat thermometer (about $10) and check to make sure you're not overdoing it (poultry should be cooked to 165 degrees). I also buy the split chicken breasts available in most grocery stores (especially the kosher variety), which according to tradition/requirement is brined in salt water to remove blood and other impurities which gives it an extra punch of flavor in my opinion. It's less expensive than boneless, skinless meat by the pound typically as well. https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2015/1...88_960_720.jpg

Old 02-11-2018, 08:23 AM

15,022 posts, read 18,879,998 times
Without the hassle of brining, boneless chicken breast is pretty much flavorless and dry. It has no fat, and that's where the flavor and juice is. Even with brining, it's pretty bland.

I do bone in split breasts with better results. Using a sous vide for any kind of chicken breast produces far jucier results, but it ain't gonna change the bland taste. I usually keep a few sous vide bags in the freezer with chicken breasts plastered with some fresh herbs. That at least provides some flavor.

Otherwise, boneless skinless chicken breasts get cut in half (horizontally) and pounded down to cutlets.

But ultimately, I'd really really prefer a thigh, thank you.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:28 AM

11,006 posts, read 17,495,549 times
The chicken breasts I cook on the Foreman grill come out juicy, because I don't overcook them.

Ditto with my other favorite method of making them, poaching on the stove top.

For the grilled chicken, I coat it generously in my rosemary salt rub, or lemon pepper, or garlic and chile, or ...

Old 02-11-2018, 08:29 AM

4,107 posts, read 4,773,699 times
My method;

1Gal zip-loc bag 1tbl of Kosher Salt, 1/2 gal zip-loc bag 1/2tbl of Kosher Salt

As stated above when the water turns red, dump, rinse and pat dry.

For my Alfredo, I'll cut two Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts into bite
sized pieces. in a 1/2gal zip-lock bag I'll add Olive Oil, Poultry Seasoning,
Lawry's Season Salt, Garlic Powder, Fresh Ground Black Pepper, Paprika then MIX IT THOROUGHLY !

Add chicken and squeeze out air and park in the fridge no less then 4hrs.

Take out and let Chicken become room temp, add Real Butter to a frying pan
and place Chicken into ( DO Not Dump ) pan, have two forks ready to turn while
keeping an eye out to add more Butter.

When chicken is done, remove and place on paper towel. I'll de-glaze my pan with
a couple of shots of Marcella wine then build my Alfredo sauce from there

Old 02-11-2018, 08:32 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,277,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I want to like chicken breast more but I can never prepare it in a way where it is juicy and flavorful. Most chicken recipes call for breasts but i usually sub in thighs and the dish never comes out the way I want so I wanna try using breasts. Like when you make fettucine alfredo with thighs it tastes completely different and I don't like the way it comes out. Now I will say, that I love when you go to a restaurant and get chicken tenders made from chicken breasts. The only way I usually will eat chicken breasts if it is prepared like this or if the chicken has a thick sauce to go over it (sweet n sour chicken). Anyone get what I am saying? Have you always loved chicken breast? Also, is chicken breast really that much healthier than thighs? I kinda get sick of eating thighs after a while anyway.
It's a personal preference thing, I guess. I prefer my meat a little over done and dry so chicken breasts, fried on the stove or cooked in the oven is fine for me.just some salt and pepper. My husband says its dry. To each his own.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:33 AM

3,900 posts, read 1,995,841 times
Either grilling or marinating them before cooking. Unfortunately, commercially raised chickens are raised to have unnaturally large breasts which tend to be bland flesh. Free range chickens might be better, but I still prefer boneless, skinless thighs myself.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:59 AM

15,054 posts, read 8,411,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
Sorry - the "bland taste" of a chicken breast is actually the FEATURE! It shouldn't be dry if cooked correctly but the point is that you can prepare it with dozens of different sauces to make it into anything you want to. It is a bland protein that works in any kind of ethnic cuisine and can take on whatever flavor you want.

That said, I really don't like white meat and much prefer thighs, especially now that we've gotten past the whole "white meat is healthier" thing.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:37 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,139,225 times
Million dollar question!

Bone-in

Use a thermometer

Sous Vide

or go for poaching if you just want a clean pure chicken breast

Or follow this blog for all things technique and recipies!

25 Chicken Breast Recipes That Are Anything but Boring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or