Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 03:01 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty pi$$ed right now because I spent quite awhile grating broccoli stems to make a homemade broccoli slaw. Of course you can't get the packaged stuff here. The picture with the recipe showed what I SUSPECTED to be julienne slices of stem and carrot, BUT the recipe said grate with a box grater.

End result is a liquidy mush of stems and carrot, and I added the dressing as instructed, so it's even more mushy. Nothing like the danged picture! I'm not going to "sign up" just to leave a comment, but this is ridiculous.

Do you go to the trouble of julienne slicing for something like this? If so, what do you use tool-wise?
Here is this worthless recipe (every other recipe said "take a package of broccoli slaw" LOL Real helpful).

https://wellnessmama.com/615/broccoli-slaw/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 03:06 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Mul...e+peeler&psc=1

It's still a pain and I stay away from recipes that call for a large quantity of julienne cuts. Could you use a vegetable spiralizer? Different... but kinda same.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-27-2018, 03:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
The picture is clearly not grated. A good mandoline or kitchen machine attachment will do the job. Otherwise - sharpen your favorite knife.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I'm pretty pi$$ed right now because I spent quite awhile grating broccoli stems to make a homemade broccoli slaw. Of course you can't get the packaged stuff here. The picture with the recipe showed what I SUSPECTED to be julienne slices of stem and carrot, BUT the recipe said grate with a box grater.

End result is a liquidy mush of stems and carrot, and I added the dressing as instructed, so it's even more mushy. Nothing like the danged picture! I'm not going to "sign up" just to leave a comment, but this is ridiculous.

Do you go to the trouble of julienne slicing for something like this? If so, what do you use tool-wise?
Here is this worthless recipe (every other recipe said "take a package of broccoli slaw" LOL Real helpful).

https://wellnessmama.com/615/broccoli-slaw/
For the best quality grated stuff, use the graters that go with your food processor. After I got my big food processor several years ago, I also got the grating wheels. I use the large grater all the time. That is what I would use for the broccoli stems. I use it for carrots and for apples for applesauce.

I use the slicing wheel for slicing grapes for broccoli salad.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:30 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
The picture is clearly not grated. A good mandoline or kitchen machine attachment will do the job. Otherwise - sharpen your favorite knife.

It's not even the bloggers photo. She bought use of it from Shutterstock or istock. Nothing wrong with that, but the red cabbage in the photo isn't anywhere in the recipe. I'm suspicious she never even made the thing.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Mul...e+peeler&psc=1

It's still a pain and I stay away from recipes that call for a large quantity of julienne cuts. Could you use a vegetable spiralizer? Different... but kinda same.
How funny. I just ordered this====$7.99 item you linked. why not. Of course, I have to wait for a traveler to the U.S. ton bring it back. Turns out we have a mandolin slicer for sauerkraut but didn't want to haul it out for a small amount.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

It's not even the bloggers photo. She bought use of it from Shutterstock or istock. Nothing wrong with that, but the red cabbage in the photo isn't anywhere in the recipe. I'm suspicious she never even made the thing.
I suspect this also. Some "mama", she looks like an 18 year old model. LOL. Who had her pals write bogus reviews!

Old 12-28-2018, 03:43 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,104 times
that is a picture of the packaged mix. I always pick the red cabbage out. Her recipe calls for a large package of the mix or broccoli stems to make your own if you don't have it.

She's probably only ever used the mix which is quite dry.

Still, its hard to understand why yours turned out so wet. I assume you used the largest hole on your grater. Broccoli and carrots don't generally have that much moisture. I always cook the stems when I have fresh broccoli. I slice them into coins. I think they taste like artichokes.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:13 AM

1,371 posts, read 666,913 times
I would have used the large grater blade on the food processor or the Kitchen Aid mixer attachment or the spiralizer attachment. The picture is obviously machine cut veges.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:04 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Make something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes