Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:02 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It might have intrinsic value inside the prison walls, and only between inmates; that's it. Once an inmate gets released, it's just fish. Which will be a problem when the release gets close. Mackerel can be eaten it in a pinch during the Greyhound ride home (if they choose to eat it), but it'll be almost worthless otherwise.

But let's not get too off-topic. We're talking about canned fish, not prison currency.
Reread the linked article.

You may also find a link to Economics of a POW Camp, written shortly after the war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 12:37 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
But it's indeed cultural. It's not "sad", but it's true: canned fish (other than tuna) isn't a part of America's food culture, except among fans like myself and foodies in general. A lot of people don't like the smell, I get it. (Then again, what else would fish smell like? ) But if you ask a Scandinavian person, they might not find it so disagreeable, and they eat herring in pickled form , with onions to boot. Hey, look at it this way: as recently as 1990's, most Americans were put off by raw fish in sushi.
I'm not crazy about fish other than shellfish, and I can't stand salmon in any form, canned, roe, fresh, grilled, poached, smoked as lox, etc. I have tried, and my parents made me eat fish once a week in childhood (often salmon). I think lox especially is a beautiful food on the plate so I try it again every year or so. Ironically, I find that raw fish (other than salmon) doesn't taste fishy, so I will eat sushi although my parents won't. (fear of parasites)

To the OP, I have often seen beautiful salmon on high-end buffets surrounded by fresh dill and cucumber slices, so I'd suggest trying those flavors with your salmon salad. Capers would be good too -- if it were tuna.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:54 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I went to a party in Montreal years ago where they served canned salmon sandwiches. You won' t see that on the West Coast.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:48 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I went to a party in Montreal years ago where they served canned salmon sandwiches. You won' t see that on the West Coast.
I make them all the time. I actually dislike the flavor of fresh salmon unless it is raw or cold-smoked.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:00 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Are you going to give us your recipe?

Old 03-12-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Post #5 is all there is to it. You dump the can of salmon in a bowl, crush it with a fork, add enough malt vinegar to give it some "twang" (the amount depends on the size of the can), and do the remaining steps. It's a very simple tea sandwich.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:46 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
But it's indeed cultural. It's not "sad", but it's true: canned fish (other than tuna) isn't a part of America's food culture, except among fans like myself and foodies in general. A lot of people don't like the smell, I get it. (Then again, what else would fish smell like? ) But if you ask a Scandinavian person, they might not find it so disagreeable, and they eat herring in pickled form , with onions to boot. Hey, look at it this way: as recently as 1990's, most Americans were put off by raw fish in sushi.

Here's a factoid: in American prisons, pouches of mackerel are used as fiat currency between inmates, after cigarettes were banned in 2004. Why? Nobody wants to eat it, and it costs $1 in the commissary. Which puts it at an easy price point. Such use became so widespread, that mackerel fishermen rely on prison sales as a sizable part of their income.
The rain in Spain...

I grew up eating all types of fish--fresh, canned, salted. We ate anything my father or brothers caught, as well as pickled herring, sardines, anchovies. I ate a raw clam for the first time when I was seven years old. I liked it. I started eating sushi in the early '80s. The only thing I don't like is Uni.

On the plain...

Old 03-14-2018, 03:16 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I make them all the time. I actually dislike the flavor of fresh salmon unless it is raw or cold-smoked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

As a matter of fact that was my breakfast yesterday.

You need:
1 can of drained salmon or tuna in light oil,
1 hard boiled egg, mix of sauercream and mayonnaise 1:1 (or just mayonnase, but i like it light),
chives or onion,
seasoning.
Chop your ingredients finely, stir with salmon and mayonnaise to make a paste, add salt and pepper to taste. Serve on fresh lightly toasted baguette.

Modificators:
1. exchange mayonnaise with cream cheese.
2. add finely chopped pickles

Other versions:
1 can of drained tuna or salmon,
hardboiled chopped egg,
chopped red onion,
few chopped olives,
minced garlic,
feta cheese crushed with a fork (or in the food processor) to make a kind of porridge/paste.
Mix/stir all together with few drops of olive oil, and some sauercream or mayo to make a paste. Season with salt and pepper to taste (you can add chilli if you like it spicy).
Serve on lightly toasted white bread or baguette.

1 can tuna/salmon, drained
2 teaspoons capers, drained
2 teaspoons spicy mustard
Sauercream or mayo, or mix
Chopped onion
Chopped pickles
Mix everything in a bowl. Add sour cream/or mayo to make a a spreadable paste, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve as mentioned above.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
As a matter of fact that was my breakfast yesterday.

You need:
1 can of drained salmon or tuna in light oil,
1 hard boiled egg, mix of sauercream and mayonnaise 1:1 (or just mayonnase, but i like it light),
chives or onion,
seasoning.
Chop your ingredients finely, stir with salmon and mayonnaise to make a paste, add salt and pepper to taste. Serve on fresh lightly toasted baguette.

Modificators:
1. exchange mayonnaise with cream cheese.
2. add finely chopped pickles

Other versions:
1 can of drained tuna or salmon,
hardboiled chopped egg,
chopped red onion,
few chopped olives,
minced garlic,
feta cheese crushed with a fork (or in the food processor) to make a kind of porridge/paste.
Mix/stir all together with few drops of olive oil, and some sauercream or mayo to make a paste. Season with salt and pepper to taste (you can add chilli if you like it spicy).
Serve on lightly toasted white bread or baguette.

1 can tuna/salmon, drained
2 teaspoons capers, drained
2 teaspoons spicy mustard
Sauercream or mayo, or mix
Chopped onion
Chopped pickles
Mix everything in a bowl. Add sour cream/or mayo to make a a spreadable paste, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve as mentioned above.
That's definitely not my recipe.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:29 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That's definitely not my recipe.
No, because it's MY recipe
I am glad that people eat different things, and I bet your recipes are tasty too ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes