U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 04:30 AM

18,591 posts, read 23,145,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Can one use can salmon to make a spread just like we make tuna spread. I have always made salmon patties and just can't stand at stove like I have. I would use mayo and chopped onion same as do for tuna and "maybe" add chopped hard boiled egg which I add to my tuna salads. Thanks.
I like this. Not gourmet. But good. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24...sy-salmon-dip/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 09:51 AM

3,465 posts, read 1,572,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I like this. Not gourmet. But good. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24...sy-salmon-dip/
Wow, that's a really good recipe! I'll have to bring it to a pot luck or something. Although if I know the people, maybe I'll test the waters beforehand by dropping hints, to see if they will like it. Because, you know, canned fish.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:39 PM

1,013 posts, read 539,732 times
I was poking around my pantry and found a can of canned pink salmon in water from Chicken of the Sea. I drained the water and mixed it with some mildly marinated diced grilled artichoke hearts, lemon juice, black pepper, mayo and evoo. Served it on english muffins. Absolutely delicious and honestly I could not tell the difference between this salmon and canned solid white albacore tuna which is what we normally use.

As I was interested in the mercury content, I googled canned salmon and found it is very low in mercury unlike albacore tuna so I will be using this a lot more. Not exclusively unfortunately as my extremely picky wife will not eat it or even light tuna which has less mercury than albacore. Maybe when she gets enough mercury in her I'll be able to slip the salmon past her!

Old 03-14-2018, 12:56 PM

3,465 posts, read 1,572,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
I was poking around my pantry and found a can of canned pink salmon in water from Chicken of the Sea. I drained the water and mixed it with some mildly marinated diced grilled artichoke hearts, lemon juice, black pepper, mayo and evoo. Served it on english muffins. Absolutely delicious and honestly I could not tell the difference between this salmon and canned solid white albacore tuna which is what we normally use.
Good decision! Salmon is healthier than tuna: it has more omega-3's that are good for your brain. It's also more flavorful; when you eat it, you don't forget that you're eating fish. Tuna, on the other hand, is called "chicken of the sea" for a reason.

I like to make salmon burgers. Take 1 large can of salmon or 2 small cans, 2 slices of white bread torn into small pieces, 1 beaten egg, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix everything together thoroughly, until it reaches a consistency of ground meat. Form burger-sized patties. Fry in oil, 5 minutes on each side, until they're golden-brown. Serve on regular burger buns, with optional pickle slice, tartar sauce, and/or hot sauce.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:27 PM

18,591 posts, read 23,145,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Wow, that's a really good recipe! I'll have to bring it to a pot luck or something. Although if I know the people, maybe I'll test the waters beforehand by dropping hints, to see if they will like it. Because, you know, canned fish.
Yeah. it is easy and good! I use it for a lot of get tog ethers, pot lucks etc. Definitely, give it a dry run first.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:51 PM

4,242 posts, read 1,610,151 times
There is a very simple sauce for an oily fish like salmon or mackerel. Mix three parts mayo with one part brown mustard, add a squirt of lemon juice and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or