Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 11:06 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

Can one use can salmon to make a spread just like we make tuna spread. I have always made salmon patties and just can't stand at stove like I have. I would use mayo and chopped onion same as do for tuna and "maybe" add chopped hard boiled egg which I add to my tuna salads. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 01:59 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Can one use can salmon to make a spread just like we make tuna spread. I have always made salmon patties and just can't stand at stove like I have. I would use mayo and chopped onion same as do for tuna and "maybe" add chopped hard boiled egg which I add to my tuna salads. Thanks.
Well, I made a salmon salad and it's pretty tasty..just had some gluten free crackers with this spread on them...nice snack. Some relish would be good but I don't have any. Ah, just chopped a few bread/butter pickles and some pickle juice and just what it needed. Thanks

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-10-2018 at 02:32 PM..

Old 03-10-2018, 02:38 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,800 times
Canned salmon can be used just like canned tuna in pretty much any application, so go for it! It should be delicious!

Old 03-10-2018, 07:42 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Try canned mackerel. It's half the price of salmon, and a very nice canned fish for making dishes like this. It's not as popular as salmon or tuna, because it tastes like, well, fish.

I just open the can of mackerel, rinses the oil off them (they're whole fish inside), and quickly pan fry them, and they really only need to be quick-browned in a hot skillet, they're already cooked.

Then I save the juice in the can as fish stock, for soups later. Just make a meatless veggie soup, and pour in the can of mackerel juice. Two complete meals from a 1.69 can.

Last edited by cebuan; 03-10-2018 at 07:51 PM..

Old 03-10-2018, 08:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
That's a popular British tea sandwich...

Make a spread with canned red salmon and malt vinegar.
Spread the salmon mixture on a slice of buttered white bread.
Top with thinly sliced cucumber.
Top with another slice of buttered white bread.
Cut the crusts from the sandwich.
Cut into four wedges, and serve.

Make sure to have plenty on hand, as they are quite tasty.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:41 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I make salmon salad quite frequently when I find a deal on canned salmon.

As for mackerel, that fish is too oily for making a spread and usually needs some acid like vinegar to cut through the oil.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:23 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That's a popular British tea sandwich...

Make a spread with canned red salmon and malt vinegar.
Spread the salmon mixture on a slice of buttered white bread.
Top with thinly sliced cucumber.
Top with another slice of buttered white bread.
Cut the crusts from the sandwich.
Cut into four wedges, and serve.

Make sure to have plenty on hand, as they are quite tasty.
Please say a bit more (perhaps quite a bit more) about making the spread? The linked article is all that I could find. I'm cheap so I don't really care to ruin a $7.88 can of Bumble Bee Red Salmon.

What about putting the deboned salmon and some peeled and seeded cucumber into my good old Cuisinart and turning them into paste? I could then add the malt vinegar. My principal worry is that cucumber contains a large amount of water.

May I drink coffee instead of tea? It will be Mocha Sanani, fresh roasted and ground.

https://somethingelsetoeat.blogspot....andwiches.html

Old 03-11-2018, 01:02 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
funny thing, I like canned salmon and tuna, but don't like them fresh.

I'd treat them both the same, either for salad, spread, or "cakes"

Old 03-11-2018, 08:51 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
i do it with canned salmon or tuna or chicken. mix mayo in until I get the desired texture, add a few other seasonings like parsely, onion , garlic, black pepper and eat them on bread or crackers.

I may have tried it with canned crab, but it was just once and expensive as I recall.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:41 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Wow, great thread. I love canned fish. I usually make a poor man's knockoff of nova lox with cream cheese.

Remove canned salmon from the can. Mash into a flaky paste. Add salt, black pepper, and hot sauce, to taste. Set aside. Toast a slice of bread. When the toasted bread is still very slightly warm, spread cream cheese on it. Spread the salmon on top of it. Enjoy. (This also works well for canned mackerel, herring, or sardines, but not for tuna.)

Fish is supposedly a good breakfast before a road trip. It's brain food, so it helps you focus whiled driving. (Wash it down with tea, to remove the fish breath and keep thirst in check.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes