U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-16-2018, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
26,850 posts, read 5,749,057 times
Reputation: 30056

Advertisements

Ok, I need your best way to prevent bitterness in b.s.

....add your favorite way to serve if you'd like, just bought some fresh sprouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-16-2018, 01:11 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,538 posts, read 54,095,162 times
Reputation: 30760
I have always done them by cutting in half, sprinkle with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder, then roast in the oven about 1/2 hour at 375. Never had an issue with bitterness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2018, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
26,850 posts, read 5,749,057 times
Reputation: 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have always done them by cutting in half, sprinkle with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder, then roast in the oven about 1/2 hour at 375. Never had an issue with bitterness.
Sounds good....I've roasted them too, with good results....brings out the natural sweetness, I suppose.

Wonder if bitterness increases as the b.s. age...?

I used to use a bit of sugar when cooking cabbage, to decrease bitterness, maybe I'll give that a try too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2018, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
1,554 posts, read 1,345,668 times
Reputation: 2030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have always done them by cutting in half, sprinkle with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder, then roast in the oven about 1/2 hour at 375. Never had an issue with bitterness.
We love them done this way, but with a slightly different twist. Every thing the same, but doing them in a Teflon fry pan on the range top.

Add a little olive oil, a small dollop of butter, salt and pepper to the fry pan, heat it up a bit, add the cut in half brussel sprouts, cut size down, turn the heat up to almost high and let them sizzle in the pan for 3 or 4 minutes until the cut size which is down on the pan turns golden brown. Flip one over every now and then to see how they are doing. Then turn the heat way down, like 1 or 2 on your burner dial, put a lid on the fry pan and let them cook in there for 10 or minutes or so.

Serve them hot. To us this is as good as eating candy, and a lot healthier :-)

Who would guess brussel sprouts could be this good.

My niece took me to Sizzzy's in Long Beach and told my brother and I we'd love them.....we were like, probably not. One taste and we were hooked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2018, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
26,850 posts, read 5,749,057 times
Reputation: 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
We love them done this way, but with a slightly different twist. Every thing the same, but doing them in a Teflon fry pan on the range top.

Add a little olive oil, a small dollop of butter, salt and pepper to the fry pan, heat it up a bit, add the cut in half brussel sprouts, cut size down, turn the heat up to almost high and let them sizzle in the pan for 3 or 4 minutes until the cut size which is down on the pan turns golden brown. Flip one over every now and then to see how they are doing. Then turn the heat way down, like 1 or 2 on your burner dial, put a lid on the fry pan and let them cook in there for 10 or minutes or so.

Serve them hot. To us this is as good as eating candy, and a lot healthier :-)

Who would guess brussel sprouts could be this good.

My niece took me to Sizzzy's in Long Beach and told my brother and I we'd love them.....we were like, probably not. One taste and we were hooked!

Sounds great! I'll try both ways....assume you had no bitterness...? I've done similar to this using soy sauce towards the end-very tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2018, 02:41 PM
 
596 posts, read 264,139 times
Reputation: 1526
I've done them similar but at 400-450 and mixed in some sausage. I cook'em till they have good caramelization. Then top with some parm cheese after I take them out of the oven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2018, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
26,850 posts, read 5,749,057 times
Reputation: 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
I've done them similar but at 400-450 and mixed in some sausage. I cook'em till they have good caramelization. Then top with some parm cheese after I take them out of the oven.

Will try...

No one has mentioned bitterness....maybe I had some that were really not fresh at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2018, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,448 posts, read 10,840,079 times
Reputation: 28187
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
...No one has mentioned bitterness....maybe I had some that were really not fresh at all.
We buy the smaller Brussells sprouts. They have always been much sweeter than the larger, more mature, sprouts. We also try to buy them on the stalk, but that's rarely an option. As for cooking, we usually cut them in half and roast or pan sauté.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2018, 03:06 PM
 
Location: 49th parallel
2,539 posts, read 1,332,329 times
Reputation: 5252
The longer you cook them (when doing them by just boiling them) the more they are likely to turn bitter. The trick if you don't want to use butter or anything like that is just to do them until they are tender, not soft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2018, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
1,554 posts, read 1,345,668 times
Reputation: 2030
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Sounds great! I'll try both ways....assume you had no bitterness...? I've done similar to this using soy sauce towards the end-very tasty.
No Bitterness at all. We've done them this way a few dozen times. and to my taste, they have always been excellent. We've had big ones, small ones, and in between sizes....but they all seem to taste good.

We just did a batch a few nights ago. We were out for coffee one afternoon and discussing what to have for dinner. I suggested we eat some leftovers we had from the last couple nights.....along with a fresh pan full of Brussel sprouts prepared this way. It was a tasty meal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:41 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top