Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 10:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,461,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
Hi, I try'd to make a bean and moose stew and it does not taste very good, so I'm hoping someone here can help me save it. I put in 2 cups of pinto and navy beans, cellery, carrots and a little red pepper. (I let the beans soak over night first), then I put in two table spoons of garlic, some chili powder and a 1/2 teaspoon of paprika, then let it slow cook for over 4 hrs (oh I also browned the moose meat before adding it to the beans). I was going for bean soup, just using moose meat instead of ham. Does anyone have any ideas on how to give this mix more flavor? I normally don't cook much, so I am not up on spices, I just googled bean soup and those were the spices I used.
I have no idea but had a friend who's husband went elk hunting about a year or so ago. They have us some stew and it was nothing I would eat again. It was so tough. the same couple tried their tenderloin just a few weeks ago. They said it was stringy and that is the end of the Elk hunting. I think like any game meat, there are pros and cons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 11:20 AM

771 posts, read 1,932,783 times
Thanks, I'll try that next time.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:48 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,578,418 times
I know you've switched to a more chili-style dish, but when I think bean soup, I think of smoke from the ham that's in it. So in the future, I'd add some crumbled bacon or some liquid smoke (a little at a time, it's easy to add more if needed, but you can't take it out once it's in there).

Old 04-06-2018, 03:17 PM

588 posts, read 462,008 times
find with moose meat that the age the moose is killed has so much to do with the flavor and tenderness of the meat. Clearly, they have lived in the wild and what ever muscle meat they have will be very very tough. Not to say it can not be broken down through wine and garlic. It is just not going to taste like a regular crock pot recipe.

I would tenderize the meat first with a bath of white wine to soften the meat and then cook it very slowly with lots of water and time. I have cooked meat for 24 hours to find its juices.

Then find what the meat tastes like and how it smells. I go more for how it smell. For some reason I have an amazing sense of smell. Why I do not know. Maybe my dog taught me!

Then prepare the moose with what the moose has transformed into.

Remember. A moose is a wild animal and what that wild animal ate and what it had to do to survive will effect its whole body and will make for its taste that changes from one animal to the next. And lord, do they have the kind of muscle that takes getting used to.

I apologize for the graphic

Old 04-07-2018, 04:39 AM

19,965 posts, read 30,120,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
find with moose meat that the age the moose is killed has so much to do with the flavor and tenderness of the meat. Clearly, they have lived in the wild and what ever muscle meat they have will be very very tough. Not to say it can not be broken down through wine and garlic. It is just not going to taste like a regular crock pot recipe.

I would tenderize the meat first with a bath of white wine to soften the meat and then cook it very slowly with lots of water and time. I have cooked meat for 24 hours to find its juices.

Then find what the meat tastes like and how it smells. I go more for how it smell. For some reason I have an amazing sense of smell. Why I do not know. Maybe my dog taught me!

Then prepare the moose with what the moose has transformed into.

Remember. A moose is a wild animal and what that wild animal ate and what it had to do to survive will effect its whole body and will make for its taste that changes from one animal to the next. And lord, do they have the kind of muscle that takes getting used to.

I apologize for the graphic
i dont see any graphic .... ??

some butchers that cut up wild game have an electric cuber/tenderizer this is good for the front and hindquarter steaks... you can certainly ask if they have one......it consists of two rollers/(teeth) you pass the meat down thru twice..... it does a decent job ....this is where cube steak comes from

you can also buy a hand held tenderizer/jaccard and these work decent too

for the gamey flavor...again....stay away from the bone and fat (higher concentrations of bacteria than muscle, hence stronger gamey flavor) be sure the wild game is boned out ... just saying

as most said ....slow cook the wild game with seasonings til it falls apart and it can be awesome

Old 04-07-2018, 05:39 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,831,567 times
Onion?

Old 04-07-2018, 01:15 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,860,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Onion?
I was just going to say that- onions browned in butter is a base for alot of my stews, sauces, ragus....

Old 04-07-2018, 01:27 PM

34,179 posts, read 18,492,623 times
Whenever I cook Venison, (White Tailed Deer, Mule Deer, Elk) I let it sit in milk overnight, then slow cook it in a crock pot with red wine, garlic, bay leaves, pepper, beef or chicken broth, and whatever other vegetables I want with it. I cook it on low all day, or overnight.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:37 PM

588 posts, read 462,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i dont see any graphic .... ??

some butchers that cut up wild game have an electric cuber/tenderizer this is good for the front and hindquarter steaks... you can certainly ask if they have one......it consists of two rollers/(teeth) you pass the meat down thru twice..... it does a decent job ....this is where cube steak comes from

you can also buy a hand held tenderizer/jaccard and these work decent too

for the gamey flavor...again....stay away from the bone and fat (higher concentrations of bacteria than muscle, hence stronger gamey flavor) be sure the wild game is boned out ... just saying

as most said ....slow cook the wild game with seasonings til it falls apart and it can be awesome
Sorry no graphic.

I have seen and eaten from the grinders in the slaughter house that I go to.

I have again and again been told that venison is tough. No, but now that I think about it...I have seen the deer come in after hunting and they are young. Yes, the carcasses on the backs of pick of trucks. So young meat...see above for those that were old.

Unbelievable taste.

Had a boyfriend that tried to tell me that his mamma had to cook deer for days to make it eatable. I know now they had poor old deer. Sad but that is the story. They were dirt poor at one time....now not at all. Big time not at all.

Just another immigrant story.

I love bone in wild. But I only buy it from the owner of this slaughter house and it is his own shoot.

And the hearts...liver...(I can't eat brains but I could have them if I wanted them...aw French cooking!)

Old 04-08-2018, 06:50 PM

427 posts, read 438,227 times
Agree with others, soak meat from the wild in milk overnight. Drain meat; then sauté veggies, like onion, garlic, celery, bell peppers with seasonings in evo, add tomatoes then add meats quickly dipped in flour and braise; then add beans. You may want to increase seasonings and or add a bit of Vinegar and or sugar. Stock or broth added as needed then simmer on low heat covered. Make a cornbread while you enjoy aromas. Makes a possum want to hug a hound!

Last edited by PeteyC; 04-08-2018 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: Typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes