Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 11:26 PM

6,136 posts, read 4,498,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndCatsForAll View Post
Indian food and French food. It was sooo long ago I don't remember the exact dishes but I remember that both were work, took forever and destroyed the kitchen. That was in my newly married period where I was trying to be very impressive in the kitchen.

Then I found South American cooking. Lots of slow cooked dishes that are so much easier...but I made Ropa Vieja once last year. It took all day, took constant attending, so much chopping and shredding. I was standing for all those hours. I was playing episode after episode of an hour long show on netflix on my phone while I cooked. My husband loved the dish so much that the next week he went to the store without me even asking and bought all the ingredients to so I could make it again. Then I informed him it was a once a year sort of meal!

It was so good though and did rival the ropa vieja we get at our favorite Cuban restaurant, but since that place is right down the street and serves the best Mojitos I've had anywhere I have very little incentive to make the dish from scratch again.
You couldn't get it to work out in the slow cooker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 11:33 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,468,853 times
Baklava. So many layers, so little time... It was delicious, though. Haven’t made it since.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:42 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,190,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Baklava. So many layers, so little time... It was delicious, though. Haven’t made it since.
Took me a few goes before it became easy

Old 05-06-2018, 01:15 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
Quote:
Spanikopita. Cleaning and stemming all that fresh spinach.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:01 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
i made three lamb crown roasts....... for a famous person .... and that took some time.... he had a picture from a food magazine and had to make it look just like it .. he said they look great!

i made 24 "superbowl" beef roasts - and they sold ...made them look like a football with the stitches - (twine)

i make my own sausage , jerky, and that can take some time but its very good..

Old 05-06-2018, 04:26 AM

239 posts, read 194,617 times
Casatiello bread. Turned out very good but I never made it again.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:59 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndCatsForAll View Post
Indian food and French food. It was sooo long ago I don't remember the exact dishes but I remember that both were work, took forever and destroyed the kitchen. That was in my newly married period where I was trying to be very impressive in the kitchen.

Then I found South American cooking. Lots of slow cooked dishes that are so much easier...but I made Ropa Vieja once last year. It took all day, took constant attending, so much chopping and shredding. I was standing for all those hours. I was playing episode after episode of an hour long show on netflix on my phone while I cooked. My husband loved the dish so much that the next week he went to the store without me even asking and bought all the ingredients to so I could make it again. Then I informed him it was a once a year sort of meal!

It was so good though and did rival the ropa vieja we get at our favorite Cuban restaurant, but since that place is right down the street and serves the best Mojitos I've had anywhere I have very little incentive to make the dish from scratch again.
What recipe did you use? Ropa Vieja is a normal evening meal for us, with sides of tostones or maduros, black beans and rice. I think the most time consuming part is the total prep of the flank steak, from cooking to shredding, but that can be spread over two days. We use the recipe from the book "Memories of a Cuban Kitchen" by Mary Urrutia Randelman.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I was able to score a recipe for a Mexican mole several years ago.

I decided NOT to make it as it required 35 different ingredients and MOST ingredients required a separate preparation step. I determined that it would take 5-6 hours and cost about $45.
That is what I found to be the case when I made it from scratch. However, it was well worth it, IMO. I have found with most things, especially with restaurants in my area, that we can do a much better job at home.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:11 AM

Quote:
My wife won a Persian cookbook in a cooking contest and made a savory Baklava from it. It was fantastic.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:58 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
A cloned version of Cheesecake Factory's white chocolate macadamia nut cheesecake. Cheesecake Factory's pie slices are terribly expensive and I decided to make a version of it myself, thinking it wouldn't be too much trouble. (Note to self: Never think something will be easy, because when you do, it never is.) Making pies is normally a pretty simple step-by-step process, and although this pie recipe would normally have been just a little more challenging than most due to all the extra ingredients it contained, what made making it nearly impossible to finish was the fact that the recipe I got online was incomplete and I had to combine two separate recipes together, one for original cheesecake, and the other for a white chocolate macadamia nut cheesecake that didn't have all the baking or quantity instructions included. I combined the two, fervently hoping it would turn out OK. It turned out great, it was a delicious cheesecake, but it took so much mental and physical maneuvering I decided not to attempt it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes