U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 11:57 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,230,043 times

Advertisements

I'd have to say it's something I baked.
Baklava, Napoleons, Custards and lemon curd.

One time I made a sort of bar cake with oats and strawberry preserves.
It was absolutely delicious. I think I dirtied every bowl I had in the house and it was so time consuming with multiple ingredients. I lost the recipe but that's ok because that one was a doozie..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 12:34 PM

1,334 posts, read 450,086 times
I tried to make a brisket once. On my grill. It was complicated and I thought I was going to be successful until I realized the meat was cooked like shoe leather. I almost fainted. We were supposed to have people over for dinner, and that piece of meat cost me $100. No lie. We used it for tacos instead. OMG. Never again. I'm still traumatized (full disclosure - it was my first time ever cooking brisket and I can't really cook that well, but I love brisket. Oh well, lesson learned)

Old 05-06-2018, 01:35 PM

1,189 posts, read 290,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
I tried to make a brisket once. On my grill. It was complicated and I thought I was going to be successful until I realized the meat was cooked like shoe leather. I almost fainted. We were supposed to have people over for dinner, and that piece of meat cost me $100. No lie. We used it for tacos instead. OMG. Never again. I'm still traumatized (full disclosure - it was my first time ever cooking brisket and I can't really cook that well, but I love brisket. Oh well, lesson learned)
How did you set up your grill? Brisket (whole packer) really needs to hit an internal temp between 195F to 198F. I'm talking an 18 to 20 pound piece with flat and deckle (point), which can take up to 18 hours if you are cooking low and slow @225F to 250F. The fat cap has to be trimmed just right to insure a moist finished product. It may also require wrapping at some point during the cook. When I do brisket, I use my off-set, wood burning pit.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:21 PM

6,071 posts, read 2,792,798 times
Tbh, what I made vs what was edible are two entirely different matters.
I just recall it involved duck and goose. Both wild. And donated to us by a local hunter. My hubby begged that I make it based off his mom's recipe. All I can say is that either she was trying to do away with her kids ...or they were super doped on antibiotics!
I got sick within four hours ...and off to the hospital I went. To this day neither bird is allowed at my dinner table. Just grateful my kids didn't eat it....they wanted mac/cheese that night.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:41 PM

9,080 posts, read 8,217,916 times
Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon.

It was expensive, lengthy, and complicated.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:54 PM

9,080 posts, read 8,217,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndCatsForAll View Post
Indian food and French food. It was sooo long ago I don't remember the exact dishes but I remember that both were work, took forever and destroyed the kitchen. That was in my newly married period where I was trying to be very impressive in the kitchen.

Then I found South American cooking. Lots of slow cooked dishes that are so much easier...but I made Ropa Vieja once last year. It took all day, took constant attending, so much chopping and shredding. I was standing for all those hours. I was playing episode after episode of an hour long show on netflix on my phone while I cooked. My husband loved the dish so much that the next week he went to the store without me even asking and bought all the ingredients to so I could make it again. Then I informed him it was a once a year sort of meal!

It was so good though and did rival the ropa vieja we get at our favorite Cuban restaurant, but since that place is right down the street and serves the best Mojitos I've had anywhere I have very little incentive to make the dish from scratch again.
How is this complicated? I cook Ropa Vieja all the time, actually I cook it twice. I boil it once for two hours with a mirepoix and then slow cook it the second time shredded in a tomato vinegar mixture. It is so easy to make.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:15 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,125,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
How is this complicated? I cook Ropa Vieja all the time, actually I cook it twice. I boil it once for two hours with a mirepoix and then slow cook it the second time shredded in a tomato vinegar mixture. It is so easy to make.
I'd never heard of Ropa Vieja, so I looked it up. Sounds delicious and this recipe sounds fairly easy.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/79...an-ropa-vieja/

Old 05-06-2018, 03:18 PM

21,872 posts, read 27,138,998 times
I made lo mein completely from scratch, including the noodles. Never again!

Old 05-06-2018, 04:02 PM

2,482 posts, read 1,431,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I made lo mein completely from scratch, including the noodles. Never again!
Never say Never...Lo Mein is one of my fave dishes,

If you ever consider making it again, please call 1-800 -MRMAGOO

I will bring the wine, fortune cookies, and dessert.

Inside joke:
just look for a red jeep cherokee with NJ plates and no scratches.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:55 PM

21,872 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Never say Never...Lo Mein is one of my fave dishes,

If you ever consider making it again, please call 1-800 -MRMAGOO

I will bring the wine, fortune cookies, and dessert.

Inside joke:
just look for a red jeep cherokee with NJ plates and no scratches.
Hi Mr Magoo! Never is a safe bet on this one. I think it took 10 hours. It was an old-school recipe from a book. After that I never made another recipe from it, but used it for ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or