U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 05:16 AM

1,197 posts, read 292,385 times

Advertisements

Do any of you do your own crawfish boils? We are able to get 30# +/- sacks of crawfish locally during season. The Restaurant Depot gets them in every Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning during season. Once Easter is over, the price drops a dollar or more per pound. We always make sure to pick some tails for other dishes. We make pizza with them which is really tasty.

Last edited by Dogboa; 05-16-2018 at 06:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 06:14 AM

3,942 posts, read 3,241,693 times
We very rarely entertain large groups, so I don't do my own, but I attend several throughout the Spring. Always a good time.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:32 AM

The last sack I got (a couple weeks ago) was 35# and after we ate (just me and my wife) some and my wife took some over to our daughter and granddaughters, I ended up with 1-1/2 pounds of picked tail meat. Our granddaughters are 1/2 Cajun.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:41 AM

11,058 posts, read 12,406,241 times
I miss crawfish boils. Always had one every year about this time when I lived in Arkansas. Crawfish, shrimp, corn on the cob, baby potatoes, and beer. Always 50 or so friends and a really good time standing around large tables eating. People here never heard of them.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I miss crawfish boils. Always had one every year about this time when I lived in Arkansas. Crawfish, shrimp, corn on the cob, baby potatoes, and beer. Always 50 or so friends and a really good time standing around large tables eating. People here never heard of them.
Until I discovered that the local Restaurant Depot carried them last year, I ordered them from Sal's Riverside Seafood in Kenner, LA. Depending on the price of the crawfish, it usually cost me $200.00 + for a 40# sack. They shipped them over night Airport to airport. I only did this once or twice during the season and I disliked the fact that they were pond raised and there were a couple pounds of dead. The ones I get now are called "River" or "Wild Caught". Even though there are pond raised still available after these are done for the season, RD will not carry the pond raised.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:01 AM

23,357 posts, read 17,373,400 times
Right now, there is one pretty much weekly in my local area. There is a local outfit that makes a run to Louisiana every week and brings back live seafood. They boiled last weekend. A local BBQ place is hosting a boil Saturday evening.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Right now, there is one pretty much weekly in my local area. There is a local outfit that makes a run to Louisiana every week and brings back live seafood. They boiled last weekend. A local BBQ place is hosting a boil Saturday evening.
There is one place locally that offers crawfish that they cook on premise, but it is expensive. I've only been to one boil that I haven't done myself. I will never buy seafood again and let someone who has no clue ruin it.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:47 AM

3,942 posts, read 3,241,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
There is one place locally that offers crawfish that they cook on premise, but it is expensive.
Not sure about price where you are, but I'm in Suburban Houston, and I would say the going rate for cooked crawfish here is about $5.99 lb, maybe $4.99 if you're lucky.

I went to grad school in New Orleans in the 90s and there was a place called Jaeger's on the Lake and on Wednesdays, they charged $.99 per pound. We used to go out there and for under $10 total, stuff ourselves like ticks with about 4-5 lbs each and a few beers. I think the original place got destroyed in Katrina.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:11 PM

2,482 posts, read 1,432,785 times
I only went to one years ago when my now Son in Law graduated from Tulane..it was in May, so I guess it was Crawdad season.

I really don't have any experiences to compare but the one, but I remember they were quite delicious..

I think the guys prepping the boil were calling them 'mud puppies?'

My Son in law is now a Journalist at the WSJ and lives in NYC, so no more crayfish boils.

Since he and 6 of his co-workers shared the Pulitzer Prize back in 2015, he has become more of an insufferable snob than he was before.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
I only went to one years ago when my now Son in Law graduated from Tulane..it was in May, so I guess it Crawdad season.

I really don't have any experiences to compare but the one, but I remember they were quite delicious..

I think the guys prepping the boil were calling them 'mud puppies?'

My Son in law is now a Journalist at the WSJ and lives in NYC, so no more crayfish boils.

Since he and 6 of his co-workers shared the Pulitzer Prize back in 2015, he has become more of an insufferable snob than he was before.
I've heard them called mud bugs. We call Florida/Caribbean lobster just plain "Bugs". Don't really have nick names for the other 3 species of lobster we have locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or