U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 07:51 AM

22,539 posts, read 28,465,576 times

Advertisements

What is in your pizza sauce recipe?

I think mine is pretty good, but it is basically the same as my speghetti sauce: tomato, garlic, onion, basil, ground beef.

I buy the Costco gluten free pizza, and the sauce used to be outstanding. Last batch I bought it appears they have cheapened the sauce, but previously it was spicy with a deep flavor. I know of one really popular pizza place, not a chain, with really strong spicy pizza sauce.

I'd like to make mine like that, but my palate won't pick out what it is that they are putting in there.

I'm open to suggestions and to try other people's successful recipes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 07:53 AM

3,499 posts, read 5,158,988 times
Add some oregano (a MUST) and red pepper flakes and leave out the hamburger. Use spicy Italian sausage instead.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:40 AM

36,981 posts, read 45,424,471 times
My recipe is a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato paste, whirled in the food processor. To this you can add whatever herbs and spices you want. I add garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano and basil. It’s a nice fresh sauce, and enough for 2 large pizzas.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:02 PM

1,261 posts, read 706,466 times
When I make pizzas I use Don Pepino sauce. Welcome to Don Pepino and Sclafani, pizza, spaghetti and tomato sauces made from natural ingredients

But the funny thing is that "good" pizza sauce is unique to each of us. For example, unlike a previous poster, I don't care for oregano and much prefer basil.

Just start with a basic sauce and add to it.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,560 posts, read 54,124,435 times
Like you, I use tomato, garlic, onion, basil, but not ground beef. I also add oregano, a little of marjoram, rosemary, and thyme, salt and pepper, and even a little sugar. I use canned crushed San Marzano tomatoes, and add some tomato paste to thicken it. After all ingredients are in I hit it with the "boat motor" (below). We do not cook the sauce ahead of time, because it cooks on the pizza. I add some dried pepper flakes to my slices when serving, my wife doesn't like it too spicy.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:17 PM

3,243 posts, read 1,313,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
When I make pizzas I use Don Pepino sauce. Welcome to Don Pepino and Sclafani, pizza, spaghetti and tomato sauces made from natural ingredients

But the funny thing is that "good" pizza sauce is unique to each of us. For example, unlike a previous poster, I don't care for oregano and much prefer basil.

Just start with a basic sauce and add to it.
I think Don Pepino is pretty good, too.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:32 PM

3,499 posts, read 5,158,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I think Don Pepino is pretty good, too.
I realize it's controversial but to me oregano is the very essence of good pizza sauce. It just doesn't taste like the pizza I first tasted 50 years ago in Italy without it!

Old 05-19-2018, 08:10 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,637,241 times
My recipe is pretty labor intensive, but we love it.

1. Convince husband (or equivalent type of person) to go to store

2. Draw detailed map of store for husband (or equivalent type of person) to take with so as to avoid whining about how "I couldn't find what you wanted" when husband (or equivalent type of person) returns

3. Make sure you specify "Pastorelli Pizza Sauce" on the map you drew along with a large "X" denoting its location in the store

4. Open can of sauce with a can opener and put sauce on whatever you are using for crust (this step should be done once the husband (or equivalent type of person) has come home)

5. Add additional toppings, bake, eat.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:05 PM

36,981 posts, read 45,424,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
My recipe is pretty labor intensive, but we love it.

1. Convince husband (or equivalent type of person) to go to store

2. Draw detailed map of store for husband (or equivalent type of person) to take with so as to avoid whining about how "I couldn't find what you wanted" when husband (or equivalent type of person) returns

3. Make sure you specify "Pastorelli Pizza Sauce" on the map you drew along with a large "X" denoting its location in the store

4. Open can of sauce with a can opener and put sauce on whatever you are using for crust (this step should be done once the husband (or equivalent type of person) has come home)

5. Add additional toppings, bake, eat.

Oh, thatís funny. I can send my husband to the store for 3 items, and heíll need to call me twice.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:22 PM

3,243 posts, read 1,313,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh, thatís funny. I can send my husband to the store for 3 items, and heíll need to call me twice.
Get him a smartphone. Then he can text you pictures and ask which one? like my husband does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes