U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 03:29 PM

6,535 posts, read 7,801,483 times

Advertisements

I generally keep a well stocked freezer and pantry. There's always some chicken, ground beef, homemade marinara sauce and some kind of vegetable in the freezer. The pantry always has pasta, beans, and peanut butter.

Desperation dinner in our house means no one wants to cook Tonight is one of those nights. A bacon, spinach, mushroom and feta frittata is in the oven now. Desperation dinner is often "breakfast for dinner" here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 03:34 PM

4 posts, read 1,521 times
My backup meal is pasta salad.
Pasta, green/black olives, green pepper, cucumber, tomato, onion, Italian salad dressing.
Cost for one?? $1...maybe..

I have dried green peppers, stocked olives, stocked pasta, dried onions and can do without tomatoes and cucumbers if winter months.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:10 PM

2,445 posts, read 1,063,865 times
Omelet and toast.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:03 PM

5,755 posts, read 4,169,753 times
Grilled cheese and canned soup.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:23 PM

17,486 posts, read 20,929,831 times
If the pantry starts to get low I go food shopping. I never let it get that bare ever. Why haven't you gone shopping yet?

Old 05-17-2018, 08:28 PM

31,651 posts, read 19,962,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
If the pantry starts to get low I go food shopping. I never let it get that bare ever. Why haven't you gone shopping yet?
We end up in that situation before a trip, or before big meals like Thanksgiving where I need the fridge for all the casserole dishes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-17-2018, 08:30 PM

3,690 posts, read 1,868,735 times
I >hate< shopping. So I do a Costco trip every month when I get my Social Security.

$326 yesterday, but bought more meats than I usually do. They are bound for burgers, soups, etc.

Never a bare pantry.

Unless you are broke, there is always Instacart or Amazon Fresh that can deliver.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:49 PM

56,053 posts, read 54,552,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I do know how tempting it is to go out to eat when there is nothing much in the house to prepare. But, surely you have had to decide to just make something, even though the somethings you have to work with are pretty scanty. We decided to eat in a couple of nights ago, even though we haven’t shopped in over a week.

I made biscuits and topped them with creamed canned salmon. It was actually good! But I consider that a desperation meal. What do you fix when you need to eat in, but the pantry is pretty bare? Do you have a strategy you care to share? Do you have foods you always have on hand for whatever presents itself?

I keep canned beans, tomatoes, canned fish and eggs around. And of course, I always have coffee.

All you good cooks, share your tactics.
Good thread idea. Sometimes I deliberately don't shop and try to make do with what I have in the house.

If I have a can of beans, a can of tomatoes, and rice, I can make a good meal. If I have some type of vegetable like spinach to throw in, so much the better. Corn works, too. And chopped onion. And cheese. Whatever I can root out of the fridge. Cheap, filling, and good.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:40 PM

3,497 posts, read 1,599,268 times
If I were really short on funds, I'd make something with beans and rice, cooked according to package directions. Then I'd add a filler or two, from canned chicken to sriracha sauce, and/or anything in-between. Then I'd sprinkle in salt and whatever seasonings I have on hand. Add a slice of bread on the side, wash it all down with lemonade, eat a banana for dessert, and it's a decent meal.

There's a reason beans and rice are eaten in many parts of the world. It's cheap, filling, and healthy. It's even backed by science: when eaten together, beans and rice contain all 20 amino acids, making them equivalent to meat. (Animal proteins contain all 20 amino acids, while plant proteins contain different subsets of those 20 amino acids.) Not to mention the vitamins and minerals. And when you can't afford much food, getting as much nutrition as possible out of whatever you can afford becomes critical.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 05-17-2018 at 10:52 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 10:51 PM

17,732 posts, read 8,863,537 times
Pasta, and Sauce
Cheese Omelet, and toast, with a canned meat
Tuna salad
Kraft Mac, and Cheese with some veggies thrown in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes