Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 03:07 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post

Wardens had a different mindset back then, and the intent wasn't humane treatment. Food and everything else used to be cheap. So the prisons could afford it all. But the real reason was to fatten the inmates. Overweight inmates are more likely to be sluggish, and therefore less violent. So the large amounts of decent-quality food was meant to have a sedative effect. Sure, the costs added up; but they were made up in reduced man-hours needed to rein in the hungry, violent inmates. After all, when you're so full that you can't move much, and also overweight from insufficient exercise, you're less likely to try to attack someone for looking at you wrong.
Scratchin' my head here...do you have any stats or articles to back up this theory about keeping inmates fat and slovenly to make them less violent?

I would appreciate you posting them...thanks.

I spent 30 years in law enforcement and have heard quite a few stories..but this is poser for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Aren’t old chickens stewing hens? They make good chicken and dumplings.

Your post is amusing. I wish I had access to fresh eggs anytime I wanted.
yes, stewing hens they were, and the old rooster, a (Golden Comet) ended up in the Dutch Oven too...

As he became more and more Dotty in his dotage, and he started to attack and peck my guests.

I chopped off his head like Robespierre encouraged during the French Revolution and fricasseed his tired old butt.

Yup, served him with dumplings just as you suggested.

Vive la coq Gauloise!

Old 05-18-2018, 03:48 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Scratchin' my head here...do you have any stats or articles to back up this theory about keeping inmates fat and slovenly to make them less violent?

I would appreciate you posting them...thanks.
I remember reading that in an online article about prison food. It may have been the author's speculation. But I do remember reading the part about keeping the inmates overweight and lazy.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:07 PM

Prisons back 'in the day', and even today, to some extent, (from my knowledge and experience) made prisoners do some type of work to keep them occupied..

The days of 'breaking rocks in the hot sun' are a thing of the past, to be sure...

but in NJ, State/County/ and Municipal prisoners are usually sent out on Work details, (under Corrections Officers watchful eyes) to clean up Highways /Interstates and State Parks..
This isn't for all inmates, Inmates must earn this privilege.

There are also a few Prison Farms..but they are a choice position, limited to only the most model,prisoners.
Exercise rooms are popular,... guys 'buff up' for survival, to protect themselves from physical attack by other inmates..being fat and out of shape can make you 'vulnerable'
nudge, nudge, wink wing.

Back to Prison food..it is indeed bland ( no salt) , starchy and tasteless.
So yeah, idle prisoners tend to put on the pounds...flabby lbs.

Most prisoners count on buying and supplementing their diet through the commissary .
which requires family and friends to send them money.

inmates do however have access to an exercise room, big screen TVs, conjugal visits, and limited Wifi access.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 05-18-2018 at 04:18 PM..

Old 05-18-2018, 04:23 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Refried beans and cheese quesadillas. I always keep mexican blend cheese in the fridge and refried black beans in the cabinet.

If you have salsa or bbq sauce, it's pretty darn yummy. And it's ALWAYS filling.

Anything with eggs or peanut butter.

I always have the following in the fridge: lemon/lime, eggs, parmesan, mexican blend cheese
And I always have the following in my pantry: tortillas, rice, ramen noodles, canned beans
Yes, all of this plus I keep canned soups and tuna and salmon on hand plus a loaf of Oatnut bread in the freezer.

I also keep three or four baking potatoes with sour cream and sweet potatoes with brown sugar on hand for a quick microwave and I have lunch or dinner. Good to go.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:14 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
eggs are my go to

and burger you can do so much with burger... and eggs

and beef jerky i make my own....always good to have on hand..

Old 05-18-2018, 05:24 PM

would love to try to make some Beef or Venison Jerky.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:33 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
would love to try to make some Beef or Venison Jerky.
My husband makes it but gosh it gets costly. You need a lot of meat because it shrinks down so much.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-19-2018, 08:02 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Never really had to make a desperation dinner but I have had to for lunch. I gave my husband a cheese sandwich last week because I ran out of cold cut meats. I had a cream cheese and jelly sandwich that day. My reasoning is not a financial issue it's because I ran out of something and needed to go to the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes