Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 12:38 AM

240 posts, read 586,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
I have been using the same yeast for a couple years (costco) and since I bought new (costco) I noticed that after the first couple loafs, it quit rising and I checked my yeast with luke warm water today and it did not foam after 5-10 minutes. I also have a fast rising yeast (both are kept in the pantry) and that one didn't foam either. my bread is like it was made without years. What can cause this? I haven't done anything different, should I be keeping the yeast in the frig and not the pantry? I'm in Alaska, so it doesn't get that warm here, but once in a while.......
When I go to bake bread the first thing I do is put the sugar or honey whichever I'm using in a measuring cup and add a half cup of real warm tap water (don't forget to subtract it from the recipe). If it isn't to the top of the one cup measuring cup in half an hour or at least well on it's way it's no good.
I keep mine in a glass sealer in the fridge where it keeps forever. Years that is. That is after the original 8 ounce container has been opened. I've never actually had any that failed the test but I figure there is always a first time so I ALWAYS test it instead of taking a chance on wasting my time baking bread that won't rise. Yeast is a living organism (that is why I don't trust it) that goes to work when it gets water and sugar. See excerpt below I copied from elsewhere.

Yeast really is, in fact, alive. It's a one-celled member of the fungus family, and when you add water to it and give it a little sugar for food, the organism "burps" and releases carbon dioxide—the gas that makes the bag puff out and makes sodas fizzy and bread fluffy.

Last edited by 13levine; 10-07-2018 at 12:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 07:01 AM

1,371 posts, read 666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

I always buy yeast in the glass jar, and once unsealed, store it in the fridge.

That's exactly what I do too and it keeps for a long time. Just make sure to keep track of the expiration date on the jar (or package). We don't eat a lot of bread anymore either so a jar lasts a whole lot longer than it used to but I still haven't had a jar last past it's expiration date, which I always check before I buy and make sure it's good for a while.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:35 PM

773 posts, read 1,938,503 times
I know this is old, but I tossed out the yeast I had and for the last couple years, I have been keeping the yeast in the freezer in a glass back and a vacuum sealed bag and it has been working great! Thanks again for the help.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:04 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,254,683 times
Quote:
I have been using the same yeast for a couple years (costco) and since I bought new (costco) I noticed that after the first couple loafs, it quit rising and I checked my yeast with luke warm water today and it did not foam after 5-10 minutes. I also have a fast rising yeast (both are kept in the pantry) and that one didn't foam either. my bread is like it was made without years. What can cause this? I haven't done anything different, should I be keeping the yeast in the frig and not the pantry? I'm in Alaska, so it doesn't get that warm here, but once in a while.......
I keep my yeast in the frig.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I keep my yeast in the frig.
how long does it last in the frig? a pint jar will last me around a year.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:37 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,254,683 times
Quote:
The last jar was used up before the expiration date. I bought it around Feb, 2020. I bake a lot of Focaccia.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:45 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Quote:
I have a bag of red star yeast from Costco that is at least 2 years old, maybe 3, and used it last week to bake 3 loaves in the bread machine - crowned high and perfect. I keep the bag in the fridge, but all the way in the back bottom where the temp is nearly freezing.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:55 AM

When my mom made beard, she always said it should rise twice the size of the dough, I have yet to have this happen, if it does rise out of the pan, it flows over the end of the pan onto the cookie sheet I set it on. Anyone else have this problem? most of mine, I let rise in a warm oven for 30 minutes, sometimes I have to let it go longer and sometimes I have to pull it out before 30 minutes or it will pour over the edge of the pan. what am I doing wrong?

Old 02-15-2021, 11:06 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
Quote:
When my mom made beard, she always said it should rise twice the size of the dough, I have yet to have this happen, if it does rise out of the pan, it flows over the end of the pan onto the cookie sheet I set it on. Anyone else have this problem? most of mine, I let rise in a warm oven for 30 minutes, sometimes I have to let it go longer and sometimes I have to pull it out before 30 minutes or it will pour over the edge of the pan. what am I doing wrong?
Don’t equate having the volume double with having the height double.

The bread advice I’ve followed says to allow the volume to double. Since the dough has THREE dimensions, doubling the volume won’t necessarily be the same as doubling the height. It depends on what container it sits in. And if it sits on a baking sheet or in a large bowl, the swelling occurs in height AND in lateral dimension. Waiting till it doubles in height in this case means it has more than doubled in volume.

I allow two rises: one for 4 to 7 hours after I take the dough (mixed the previous night) out of the fridge, and another one (anywhere from 1 to 2 hrs) after I have kneaded it and put it in the loaf pan OR formed rolls from it. All of the rising time is with the dough covered, at room temperature.

Some might count the time in the fridge as a first rise, I suppose, because the dough swells very slightly and shows some small holes on too, meaning the yeast is good.

The range of time for the main rise is large because the kitchen temperature could be anywhere from the low 60s to the high 60s, depending on time of year. We do not keep the thermostat set to stay the same all the time, for reasons of energy conservation as well as wanting to stay more in tune with the natural world outdoors. And I don’t bake during the hot season.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:47 PM

Thanks! Could the reason mine flows over the sides be because my dough is not thick enough? it will only get about an inch above the pan then starts spilling out the sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes