U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 12:38 AM

199 posts, read 485,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
I have been using the same yeast for a couple years (costco) and since I bought new (costco) I noticed that after the first couple loafs, it quit rising and I checked my yeast with luke warm water today and it did not foam after 5-10 minutes. I also have a fast rising yeast (both are kept in the pantry) and that one didn't foam either. my bread is like it was made without years. What can cause this? I haven't done anything different, should I be keeping the yeast in the frig and not the pantry? I'm in Alaska, so it doesn't get that warm here, but once in a while.......
When I go to bake bread the first thing I do is put the sugar or honey whichever I'm using in a measuring cup and add a half cup of real warm tap water (don't forget to subtract it from the recipe). If it isn't to the top of the one cup measuring cup in half an hour or at least well on it's way it's no good.
I keep mine in a glass sealer in the fridge where it keeps forever. Years that is. That is after the original 8 ounce container has been opened. I've never actually had any that failed the test but I figure there is always a first time so I ALWAYS test it instead of taking a chance on wasting my time baking bread that won't rise. Yeast is a living organism (that is why I don't trust it) that goes to work when it gets water and sugar. See excerpt below I copied from elsewhere.

Yeast really is, in fact, alive. It's a one-celled member of the fungus family, and when you add water to it and give it a little sugar for food, the organism "burps" and releases carbon dioxide—the gas that makes the bag puff out and makes sodas fizzy and bread fluffy.

Last edited by 13levine; 10-07-2018 at 12:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 07:01 AM

486 posts, read 96,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

I always buy yeast in the glass jar, and once unsealed, store it in the fridge.

That's exactly what I do too and it keeps for a long time. Just make sure to keep track of the expiration date on the jar (or package). We don't eat a lot of bread anymore either so a jar lasts a whole lot longer than it used to but I still haven't had a jar last past it's expiration date, which I always check before I buy and make sure it's good for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes