U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 04:20 PM

212 posts, read 87,641 times

Advertisements

I absolutely love fresh basil and I grow my own in containers.

Of course, I love pesto but I also enjoy basil in other dishes.

I have enjoyed it in a chicken stir fry with soy sauce and fresh grated ginger.
I especially like it tucked inside a croissant BLT with Swiss cheese. It makes a great
substitute for lettuce. I love it served on a bowl of Pho noodle soup with lime wedges.
I like to snip it up in a bowl of marinade for grilled shrimp. I even like to put it in a
glass of my ice water.

A very easy and delicious soup can be made with large chunks of cut up tomato
cooked down in a tiny bit of olive oil, sweet onion and garlic if you like. No broth
whatsoever, just cook down the fresh tomato mixture over med. low heat for a bit.
Snip fresh basil when it is finished cooking, dash of salt and pepper. Swirl in some
milk for a creamy texture and add some grated parmesean cheese for garnish.

Any other basil fans here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 04:29 PM

11,073 posts, read 17,543,754 times
One of my favorite appetizers is thin slices of baguette spread with goat cheese and topped with a whole basil leaf. You can alternate basil with sun dried tomato for a prettier platter, but then I will eat all of the basil ones first.

Basil is my favorite herb too.

I also make a delicious chicken and vegetable pasta salad that has a creamy pureed dressing made from mayo/greek yogurt, garlic, fresh basil and parsley (or any herbs you like).

Old 06-07-2018, 07:07 PM

36,588 posts, read 41,867,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermomma View Post
I absolutely love fresh basil and I grow my own in containers.

Of course, I love pesto but I also enjoy basil in other dishes.

I have enjoyed it in a chicken stir fry with soy sauce and fresh grated ginger.
I especially like it tucked inside a croissant BLT with Swiss cheese. It makes a great
substitute for lettuce. I love it served on a bowl of Pho noodle soup with lime wedges.
I like to snip it up in a bowl of marinade for grilled shrimp. I even like to put it in a
glass of my ice water.

A very easy and delicious soup can be made with large chunks of cut up tomato
cooked down in a tiny bit of olive oil, sweet onion and garlic if you like. No broth
whatsoever, just cook down the fresh tomato mixture over med. low heat for a bit.
Snip fresh basil when it is finished cooking, dash of salt and pepper. Swirl in some
milk for a creamy texture and add some grated parmesean cheese for garnish.

Any other basil fans here?
Yep, and mine, as well as my other herbs, are doing really well.

Most mornings, I chiffonade a few leaves, and stir the ribbons into an egg scramble, along with chopped dill, chopped parsley, and snipped chives, mushrooms, and diced tomato.

We roll it up in grilled wraps with chicken, rice, and peanut sauce.

Simple pasta tossed in olive oil, parmesan, pepper, and basil is a great light, fresh summer dinner.

Basic margherita pizza is also a good use, as is caprese salad.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:00 PM

6,291 posts, read 3,564,804 times
Caprese! No recipe needed. Al gusto and all gusto.

https://www.google.com/search?q=capr...w=1280&bih=907

Old 06-08-2018, 03:58 AM

1,214 posts, read 303,955 times
When I saw Flay make this relish, I had to try it and it has become a favorite. I add more basil and skip the parsley, not a big fan.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2042910

This is also a favorite meatball recipe and I also add more basil and skip the parsley. I usually sub parmigiano for the pecorino and use one or two eggs instead of four.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1950417

Old 06-08-2018, 07:55 AM

6,291 posts, read 3,564,804 times
That's a clever idea, Dogboa. Never thought of trying a relish like that.

I cut back the use of eggs in meat also. Not for dietary reasons but because sometimes could taste an eggy flavor I didn't like.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:39 PM

6,435 posts, read 3,065,752 times
I make pesto with most of my basil.

But, I also like to make basil butter.

I don't have an exact recipe and sometimes I make a little, sometimes a lot.

Basically, for about every half cup of salted butter, I use about a fourth cup basil and 2-4 cloves garlic, about 2 tsps. lemon juice and if that seems to tart I may throw in a pinch of sugar. Basil/garlic go in the food processor first, then the butter and lemon.

It has so many uses. A pat on steaks, broiled tuna or salmon steaks, mixed with rice for a more interesting side, use it on baked potatoes, spread on rolls, used for grilled cheese, a dollop in canned tomato soup to upgrade it, add it to steamed veggies, spread instead of mayo on a rotiserrie chicken or deli roast beef sandwich, spread on toast or a bagel.

Also, you can freeze it either in containers or using a mold or small melon ball scoop.

Great for one pot meals...….pot of spaghetti or linguine, shelled shrimp and/or scallops thrown in for the last couple minutes, drain and add basil butter.

Also good on rolls or other bread.

Lots of recipes online for variations to mine. I've also seen similar recipes for basil cream cheese, but haven't tried that yet.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:22 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,245,949 times
In the years I've had a ton of basil I made lots of basil-infused olive oil and put it in nice bottles that I'd wrapped raffia around, etc. and gave as Christmas gifts - EVERYONE wants more.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:12 AM

9,155 posts, read 8,660,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I make pesto with most of my basil.

I also like to make basil butter. You can freeze it either in containers or using a mold or small melon ball scoop.
I make different herb butters, including basil. I roll each into a log about 6-7" long, by 1.5-2" across. I wrap that first in wax paper, then put it into a freezer container. When I'm ready to use it, usually on vegetables or grilled fish, I remove the log from the freezer, slice off the needed amount (1/4-1/2"), re-wrap the log and put it right back in the freezer.

I use most of mine for pesto, too, though. Food of the gods.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:15 AM

21,832 posts, read 14,341,548 times
Caprese. I do regular riffs on the classic (as I understand it) Caprese.

Sunday, fir Father’s Day, I am making DH spaghetti. The sauce will be made in the instant pot and calls for basil.

I grow basil in the summer. When the plant is robust, I’ll harvest leaves and add them to salads.

If you make BLTs when you can get fresh, local tomatoes, add some leaves to your sandwich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes