Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 01:40 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,424,596 times

Advertisements

This is something my favorite aunt made, years ago when I was a child. They were so good, very refreshing. I think only the watermelon rind was used. I know I could probqbly google a recipe, but would prefer to hear from someone who has actually made them. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 04:41 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,420,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
This is something my favorite aunt made, years ago when I was a child. They were so good, very refreshing. I think only the watermelon rind was used. I know I could probqbly google a recipe, but would prefer to hear from someone who has actually made them. Thanks!
I have seen them but never tried making them. I think your best bet would be to google. Talking about canning and pickling I cut out a recipe the other day for pickled onion using videlias. I can't wait to give them a try.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:46 AM

50,166 posts, read 63,611,250 times
You just reminded me that I bought a jar from a clearance rack at Publix and they’re in the fridge unopened. I loved watermelon pickles as a kid, but I’ve never tried making them.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:56 AM

11,981 posts, read 8,317,221 times
Yes, I used to make them when the kids were little. They're so pretty on the table.

Here's a tip: Use a recipe that calls for clove and cinnamon oils. I think it produces a superior product with a better translucent appearance.

And a word about food coloring. Some like to use it but I think they present better on the table if you leave just the teensiest bit of red on the pieces and let them be natural.

If you use this method you'll want to be careful not to overcook them and to ensure crispness you may want to add a little alum.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:58 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,424,596 times
Does anybody have a tried-and-true recipe that they use, or old family recipe? I wish I had asked my aunt.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:00 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,441,794 times
I've never made these, but Fannie Farmer is pretty time-tested.

The Cooking of Lost America: Fannie Farmer's Watermelon Pickle

Old 06-14-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I've never made these, but Fannie Farmer is pretty time-tested.

The Cooking of Lost America: Fannie Farmer's Watermelon Pickle
That's a strange looking batch of watermelon pickles right there! Heh.

Now I'm going to get up on my holier-than-thou soap box and say that any woman who cuts her finger with a peeler, who doesn't read the directions on a product she's using for the first time, that woman? No way am I going to take her advice about avoiding a couple of ingredients because they are "hard to find."

What has become of the time-honored Fanny Farmer? Rollin' my eyes, Debsi, and waiting for you to throw watermelon peel at me.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:32 PM

Here's my old fashioned recipe, tried and true.

7 pounds watermelon rind, peeled and cut in chunks of desired size (I used a paring knife.)
4 C. sugar
2 C. white vinegar
1/2 t. oil of cloves
1/2/ t. oil of cinnamon
3/8 t. powdered alum

Soak in brine (1/2 C. pickling salt to 1 qt. water) for thirty min. Drain and rinse with cool water.

Mix sugar and remaining ingredients and bring to boil stirring. Pour over rinds and let stand covered overnight.
Repeat next morning and evening.
On the third day heat in syrup until boiling and pack in sterilized 1/2 pt. jars. Screw lids with fingertips until there's resistance. Cover all jars with a dishtowel out of any breeze and wait to hear the sound of the lids popping to tell you they sealed.

Any unsealed jars should be kept in the refrigerator and store the rest in a cool spot.

Last edited by Lodestar; 06-14-2018 at 05:59 PM..

Old 06-14-2018, 04:48 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,441,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
That's a strange looking batch of watermelon pickles right there! Heh.

Now I'm going to get up on my holier-than-thou soap box and say that any woman who cuts her finger with a peeler, who doesn't read the directions on a product she's using for the first time, that woman? No way am I going to take her advice about avoiding a couple of ingredients because they are "hard to find."

What has become of the time-honored Fanny Farmer? Rollin' my eyes, Debsi, and waiting for you to throw watermelon peel at me.

Fannie Farmer is a pretty darn famous cookbook writer, known for bringing the scientific method to American cooks. She also wrote in the era when these pickles were still popular. I wasn't promoting the blogger who didn't read the label of her Pickle Crisp Granules.

I only skimmed her directions because she was so verbose so I hadn't even noticed. My apologies.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Fannie Farmer is a pretty darn famous cookbook writer, known for bringing the scientific method to American cooks. She also wrote in the era when these pickles were still popular. I wasn't promoting the blogger who didn't read the label of her Pickle Crisp Granules.

I only skimmed her directions because she was so verbose so I hadn't even noticed. My apologies.
You must know I'm not criticizing you, Debsi! You're among my favorite posters here.

It's an easy mistake to make. And it's easy to be misunderstood in print, too.

Like I said - What's Fannie Farmer coming to?

Here's an olive. . .

(Instead of an olive branch.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes