U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2018, 09:12 AM

15,011 posts, read 18,869,495 times

Advertisements

I tried a salmon recipe that used white (yellow) miso and we really likes it. We eat salmon about twice a week, so it was worth buying the tub. And I like to experiment with ingredients. But now I've got this largish tub of miso. It lasts about a year in the fridge, but I would sure like to find some other ways to use it.

Nothing with tofu, please. I'm not fond of miso soup because of the dashi, which I find has a fishy taste (understandable given its ingredients).

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 05:53 AM

486 posts, read 96,164 times
I'd google white miso recipes and look at some recipes on reliable web sites. We've used it a couple of times but it's been so long I don't remember the recipes.

You can make dashi with dried mushrooms and just kombu. I did that the last couple of times I made dashi, though the last time I did add a few bonito flakes folded up in a paper towel packet for a little while to give the dashi a bit of that smoky flavor. I usually use very thinly sliced sirloin, some beech, enoki and fresh shi-taki (to get around the bad word filter) mushrooms, plus some kind of green with rice or udon noodles.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:04 AM

34,240 posts, read 41,253,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I tried a salmon recipe that used white (yellow) miso and we really likes it. We eat salmon about twice a week, so it was worth buying the tub. And I like to experiment with ingredients. But now I've got this largish tub of miso. It lasts about a year in the fridge, but I would sure like to find some other ways to use it.

Nothing with tofu, please. I'm not fond of miso soup because of the dashi, which I find has a fishy taste (understandable given its ingredients).

Ideas?
I use a dollop of miso paste in soups and stews and even add to mashed potatoes. as for the Dashi i thought that was something that was not an integral pert of miso but an item added seperately .Comes in a jar like this one =https://goo.gl/images/9hbh3o

Old 07-08-2018, 08:48 AM

15,011 posts, read 18,869,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I use a dollop of miso paste in soups and stews and even add to mashed potatoes. as for the Dashi i thought that was something that was not an integral pert of miso but an item added seperately .Comes in a jar like this one =https://goo.gl/images/9hbh3o
Dashi isn't integral to miso paste. But It is pretty much a requirement for miso soup.. Since I don't care for that smoky fishy taste of dashi, I'm not really fond of miso soup. of

Never thought of adding it to mashed potatoes.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:28 PM

10,374 posts, read 14,221,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Never thought of adding it to mashed potatoes.
I've had it in mashed potatoes served alongside a soy glazed pork meatloaf, yummy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes