Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 01:21 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times

Advertisements

I have been obsessed this summer with the Grapefruit Citrus Mojito from T Baar. That is, until the last one I bought they let me see them make it with Sprite. $ 5.25 for a large Sprite seems outrageous, especially since I always thought T Baar made kinda healthy drinks.

So, I said never again, what a rip! And, went home and determined to make my own. In both cases its a virgin (non-alcoholic) drink.

I first cut a lime in half, and then cut out a wedge, squeezing the rest of the half into a large, tall glass.

Next, cut a lemon in half, cut a slice from the half, and squeezed the rest of the half into the glass.

Then, I did the same as the lemon with an orange.

I took a small handful of fresh mint, and tore it then muddled it with the juices until I could clearly smell the mint aroma coming from the glass.

I stirred into this a tablespoon of blue agave nectar as a sweetener.

I poured grapefruit juice into the glass until it was about half full, then poured sparkling water to fill the rest of the glass.

I threw in the lime wedge, lemon and orange slices, and gently stirred to blend with an iced tea spoon.

I love it! And love the fact I'm not being overcharged for what was essentially a large cup of Sprite.

Any suggestions to improve on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 02:30 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
How To Improve On This Drink?

Let it lose its virginity?

Old 07-21-2018, 03:01 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I have been obsessed this summer with the Grapefruit Citrus Mojito from T Baar. That is, until the last one I bought they let me see them make it with Sprite. $ 5.25 for a large Sprite seems outrageous, especially since I always thought T Baar made kinda healthy drinks.

So, I said never again, what a rip! And, went home and determined to make my own. In both cases its a virgin (non-alcoholic) drink.

I first cut a lime in half, and then cut out a wedge, squeezing the rest of the half into a large, tall glass.

Next, cut a lemon in half, cut a slice from the half, and squeezed the rest of the half into the glass.

I took a small handful of fresh mint, and tore it then muddled it with the juices until I could clearly smell the mint aroma coming from the glass.

I poured grapefruit juice into the glass until it was about half full, then poured sparkling water to fill the rest of the glass.

I threw in the lime wedge, lemon and orange slices, and gently stirred to blend with an iced tea spoon.

I love it! And love the fact I'm not being overcharged for what was essentially a large cup of Sprite.

If you can find Squirt, try that. It's grapefruit flavored. Also check Hispanic grocery stores or the ethnic aisle for Jarritos. I think that's the spelling. They have a grapefruit flavor.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:34 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:

With all that extra stuff and labor costs (and fixed costs for the bar/restaurant), I don't see that $5.25 is much overcharging.

But me? I'd add rum. Maybe Bacardi Limon.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:17 PM

Guys, thanks for the soda suggestions, but soda isn't healthy, or refreshing.

Grapefruit juice is refreshing when mixed 50/50 with water, its also healthy. Blue agave nectar is a low glycemic sweetener, which is healthy. White sugar, corn syrup and artificial sweeteners are not healthy because your body was not designed to deal with them.

How much is a big gulp these days?

Letting it lose its virginity is not healthy, but at least you get a buzz from it, lol.

I guess I did it perfect then

Old 07-22-2018, 06:34 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Gin.

One of my favorite summer drinks is a tall cocktail glass, fill it with pellet ice (Hello Opal!), then half full of gin, squeeze a half a lime, then top off with Ruby Red grapefruit juice.

Delightfully refreshing.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:03 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Guys, thanks for the soda suggestions, but soda isn't healthy, or refreshing.

Grapefruit juice is refreshing when mixed 50/50 with water, its also healthy. Blue agave nectar is a low glycemic sweetener, which is healthy. White sugar, corn syrup and artificial sweeteners are not healthy because your body was not designed to deal with them.

How much is a big gulp these days?

Letting it lose its virginity is not healthy, but at least you get a buzz from it, lol.

I guess I did it perfect then
You asked to "improve it". Keeping food "healthy" rarely improves the flavor. And no alcohol is limiting.

Your loss

Old 07-22-2018, 04:45 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
The way I would improve this is get rid of all the sugary stuff, and the mint, replace with double shots of rum, Coke, and lemon juice - goodbye fake 'mojito', hello Cuba Libre!

Old 07-22-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The way I would improve this is get rid of all the sugary stuff, and the mint, replace with double shots of rum, Coke, and lemon juice - goodbye fake 'mojito', hello Cuba Libre!
Good bye Cuba Libre! Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:06 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Bubly flavored sparkling water, makes a grapefruit and a few other citrus flavors. Zero calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes