U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 10:31 AM

133 posts, read 80,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My family doesn't use jams or jellies. I dislike grape jelly, although someone must like it because they sell a lot of it.

Maybe twice a year, I use a small jar of apricot preserves to mix with mustard to make a dipping sauce for fried chicken. When I had an apricot tree, I would make a small batch of apricot cooked with sugar to make the dipping sauce, but not can any jam.
That sounds interesting, what kind of mustard do you mix with the apricot preserves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 05:20 PM

4,536 posts, read 5,445,760 times
We used to make grape jelly out of grape juice, wine jelly out of the best wine you can find. Today, I don't want to go to that much work but it was fun at the time.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:40 PM

22,539 posts, read 28,465,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadlove View Post
That sounds interesting, what kind of mustard do you mix with the apricot preserves?
Whatever you like. I use some pretty fancy mustards and try different ones. Jack Daniels puts out one that works well. The recipe is half and half, but that is way too much mustard. I start with a small amount of mustard and adjust by tasting. Maybe a tablespoon of mustard to a cup of apricot jam. Melt them together and taste. Add more mustard gradually until you like the flavor.

Seriously, no one will guess how easy this is. It is wonderful with fried chicken. Of course, the better the jam, the better the dipping sauce. You want a jam that tastes like apricots, not just jellied orange dyed sugar.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:54 PM

24,798 posts, read 23,736,602 times
Nope. When I was quite young, our neighbors used to give us a few small jars of grape jelly that they put up.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:04 AM

71,717 posts, read 83,316,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Why do people need to answer so negatively about something as innocuous as grape jelly?

No OP I have not made grape jelly but I love it...given up on making/canning food for one person. Nothing better as a kid than grape jelly and pb, IMO.
because that is part of the fun of a forum like this. Not only answering questions and giving advise but telling negatives as well. I don't find this insulting or annoying at all, unless the people are down right rude to others.

Now, for me, we also do not like grape jelly or jelly period. I do make a lot of jams. My favorite is cherry, followed by strawberry. I am not a huge jam eater but spoiled brat is.

I also like to make an onion wine jelly and other jams with jalapenos, but those are for using with pork dishes, chicken dishes and such, not for just eating on toast or waffles.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:32 PM
Status: "Be yourself, it's less exhausting than the alternative." (set 7 hours ago)

8,592 posts, read 10,783,517 times
I used to make strawberry jam when I was a teenager. And, it was fun and good to eat.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:15 AM

36,981 posts, read 45,424,471 times
If I grew grapes, I certainly would make jam, but otherwise, itís too cheap and available to bother.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:50 PM

24,798 posts, read 23,736,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I used to make strawberry jam when I was a teenager. And, it was fun and good to eat.
I did, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes