Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 03:37 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Libby, was the sausage roll a main dish, or can you slice it for appetizers? It sounds good.
Appetizer, she still makes this and usually on Christmas Eve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 03:43 PM

Hot clam dip

2 can minced clams plus juice
1 stick of butter
1 medium onion minced
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup bread crumbs
Juice of one fresh lemon
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. parsley
1/4 cup each parmesan and cheddar cheese

Sauté onion in butter, remove from heat, add remaining ingredients. put in a casserole dish. Bake on 350 for 2- 30 minutes. Serve on crackers. can be made ahead and then baked before serving

Old 08-15-2018, 03:53 PM

Cocktail Franks

6 ounces of prepared mustard
1 pound of cocktail franks
1/3 to 1/2 jar of grape jelly

In a saucepan combine ingredients and heat very slowly, stirring jelly until it dissolves, Add franks uncooked to the sauce and simmer slowly until franks are heated through. Serve with tooth picks.

Courtesy of my Brother's 3rd grade teacher (RIP)

Egg Drop Soup

4 cans chicken broth
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 Tsp sugar
1 Tsp. salt
1/4 Tsp. Pepper
2 eggs beaten
1 cup chopped scallion with green tops

Heat broth to boiling point in a large saucepan, in a small bowl, make a smooth paste of cornstarch and 1/4 water. Slowly stir in cornstarch into hot broth with sugar, salt, pepper. Heat until boiling Stirring constantly. Mixture should be slightly thickened and translucent. Reduce heat. Add eggs a little at a time stirring to separate them into shreds. remove from heat add scallions and serve.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:34 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Tell what the cookbook is, and post any recipe that sounds good. Maybe we’ll unearth some future favorites!

I haven’t tried it, but I plan to.

Baked Stuffed Shrimp

12 large uncooked shrimp, split

Combine..
1 1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup crushed potato chips
1 T. grated Parmesan cheese
1 t. paprika
2 oz. white wine
1/2 cup melted butter
1 # scallops, finely chopped

Divide filling among the shrimp.
Bake 25 minutes at 400 degrees.

Best Cooks’ Book
Women’s Board
St Thomas Hospital Medical Center
Akron, OH
ca. 1985
Mrs. J. Schrantz
I made this today. I followed the recipe as written. It was fine, except for the expense. I would add my own flair if I made it again. There was no salt or pepper, even. I got a good deal on shrimp, and I had the scallops, but if I had to buy anything special, I’d be disappointed.

Bottom line, the stuffed shrimp could be improved on from this recipe.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:33 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Hot clam dip

2 can minced clams plus juice
1 stick of butter
1 medium onion minced
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup bread crumbs
Juice of one fresh lemon
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. parsley
1/4 cup each parmesan and cheddar cheese

Sauté onion in butter, remove from heat, add remaining ingredients. put in a casserole dish. Bake on 350 for 2- 30 minutes. Serve on crackers. can be made ahead and then baked before serving
I'll have to try that. Years ago in NY my friend brought a casserole clam dip that was really good. I never knew the recipe. What do you serve it with?

Quote:
I made this today. I followed the recipe as written. It was fine, except for the expense. I would add my own flair if I made it again. There was no salt or pepper, even. I got a good deal on shrimp, and I had the scallops, but if I had to buy anything special, I’d be disappointed.

Bottom line, the stuffed shrimp could be improved on from this recipe.
That is good to know. I would love to find a good stuffed shrimp recipe.

Hmm...no older cookbooks right now but I do come across some really cool ones at yard/book sales.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Appetizer, she still makes this and usually on Christmas Eve.
Great idea for the buffet table.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I'll have to try that. Years ago in NY my friend brought a casserole clam dip that was really good. I never knew the recipe. What do you serve it with?

That is good to know. I would love to find a good stuffed shrimp recipe.

Hmm...no older cookbooks right now but I do come across some really cool ones at yard/book sales.
This particular hot clam dip we have never had but my mom makes a different version that's more creamy. I have to find that one.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:36 AM

4,692 posts, read 3,471,080 times
I will share this recipe. It is one of only two desserts I feel I do well. It's great to bring places as it is naturally gluten free. It seems there is always someone who can't have gluten at every party.
Creme Vanille (Vanilla Bavarian Cream) from Betty Crocker's New Picture Cookbook 1961

1/2 cup sugar
1 envelope unflavored gelatin (1TB)
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups milk
4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 cup whipping cream, whipped stiff
1tsp vanilla
Blend sugar, gelatin, salt, milk and egg yolks well in saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until mixture comes to a boil. Place pan in cold water; cool until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from spoon. Fold in whipped cream and vanilla. Pour into buttered (i use Pam) 1 qt mold. Chill until firm. About 4 hours. Unmold on large serving dish. Garnish with sweetened whipped cream and fresh fruit such as strawberries, raspberries or sliced peaches.

Sweetened Whipped Cream- 1 cup chilled whipping cream,1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, flavoring if desired.
Chill deep bowl and beater. Then place all ingredients in bowl and beat together until stiff.

This is so delicious. It vaguely reminds me of tapioca.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
NUTMEG FEATHER CAKE

1/4 C butter or margarine
1/4 C shortening
1 1/2 C sugar
1/2 t vanilla
3 eggs
2 C sifted all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1 1/2 to 2 t ground nutmeg
1/4 t salt
1 C buttermilk or sour milk

Cream together butter and shortening; gradually add sugar, creaming till light. Add vanilla, then eggs one at a time, beating well after each.

Sift together dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition.

Pour into greased and lightly floured 13x9x2” pan. Bake in moderate oven (350 deg) for 30 munutes or till done. Cool completely in pan. Top with Broiled Coconut Topper.

BROILED COCONUT TOPPING

Cream 1/4 C butter and 1 C brown sugar. Add 2 T light cream; mix well. Stir in 1 C flaked or shredded coconut. Spread over warm 8 or 9 square cake. Broil 4-5 inches from heat, about 4 minutes or till golden brown. Serve warm.

Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, c1968.

This is a simple but very good cake. The broiled topping makes it really special. I’ve made it a few times through the years and I’ve always liked it better than a generic spice cake. It does have a lovely texture.

Hope you enjoy.

PS I’d probably decrease the sugar to 1 1/4.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
NUTMEG FEATHER CAKE

1/4 C butter or margarine
1/4 C shortening
1 1/2 C sugar
1/2 t vanilla
3 eggs
2 C sifted all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1 1/2 to 2 t ground nutmeg
1/4 t salt
1 C buttermilk or sour milk

Cream together butter and shortening; gradually add sugar, creaming till light. Add vanilla, then eggs one at a time, beating well after each.

Sift together dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition.

Pour into greased and lightly floured 13x9x2” pan. Bake in moderate oven (350 deg) for 30 munutes or till done. Cool completely in pan. Top with Broiled Coconut Topper.

BROILED COCONUT TOPPING

Cream 1/4 C butter and 1 C brown sugar. Add 2 T light cream; mix well. Stir in 1 C flaked or shredded coconut. Spread over warm 8 or 9 square cake. Broil 4-5 inches from heat, about 4 minutes or till golden brown. Serve warm.

Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, c1968.

This is a simple but very good cake. The broiled topping makes it really special. I’ve made it a few times through the years and I’ve always liked it better than a generic spice cake. It does have a lovely texture.

Hope you enjoy.

PS I’d probably decrease the sugar to 1 1/4.
That sounds good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes