U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2018, 01:25 AM

11,089 posts, read 4,877,847 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to think of a new dish to add to our rotation of staples for myself and a very picky family member.

So I'm thinking of making the equivalent of zucchini bread, but with a number of other veggies secretly included as well.

I'm hoping to make a tasty cake with the following secret veggies all together:

Carrot
Zucchini
Beet
Sweet potato

Has anyone else attempted this? Is there a certain ratio of veggies to standard cake ingredients to keep in mind so it doesn't end up too watery (I always hear that cooking is an art, baking is a science).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 10:10 AM

16,692 posts, read 26,781,364 times
I'm not a baker -- not at all -- but I do love a challenge. When I saw your post, I was all "GAME ON!"

I googled "carrot zucchini beet sweet potato CAKE" and saw this among the results:

Root vegetable cake

If nothing else, it might help with the ratio question.

Good luck!

Old 09-25-2018, 10:15 AM

37,144 posts, read 45,685,601 times
I have heard that red velvet cake was originally made with beets. I haven’t tried it, but here’s a recipe.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24...ke-with-beets/

Old 09-25-2018, 10:46 AM

22,729 posts, read 28,783,807 times
There are extremely tasty existing cake recipes for carrot cake, beet cake, zucchini cake, and sweet potato cake. I doubt that you can just throw a bunch of veggies into a standard cake recipe. The recipe must compensate for the moisture in the veggies.

Use a recipe that is already established for those veggies. The only thing I would play around with would be the types and amount of spices.

I've got a recipe around here somewhere for a chocolate sauerkraut cake that is delicious. All sorts of veggies can be worked into a cake.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are extremely tasty existing cake recipes for carrot cake, beet cake, zucchini cake, and sweet potato cake. I doubt that you can just throw a bunch of veggies into a standard cake recipe. The recipe must compensate for the moisture in the veggies.

Use a recipe that is already established for those veggies. The only thing I would play around with would be the types and amount of spices.

I've got a recipe around here somewhere for a chocolate sauerkraut cake that is delicious. All sorts of veggies can be worked into a cake.
Omg...I thought you were joking about the chocolate sauerkraut cake, but Google says it's a thing. Does it have a nice tanginess to it?

Old 09-25-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm not a baker -- not at all -- but I do love a challenge. When I saw your post, I was all "GAME ON!"

I googled "carrot zucchini beet sweet potato CAKE" and saw this among the results:

Root vegetable cake

If nothing else, it might help with the ratio question.

Good luck!
Wow that's perfect, thanks! If you do end up trying it out, let us know how it goes!

Old 09-25-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have heard that red velvet cake was originally made with beets. I haven’t tried it, but here’s a recipe.

I'm surprised it's not still made this way, especially since beets are not very expensive. Lol the beet recipe still includes food colouring though.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:50 PM

16,692 posts, read 26,781,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Wow that's perfect, thanks! If you do end up trying it out, let us know how it goes!
Me? The non-baker? Oh no, sweetie, this is all yours.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:48 PM

515 posts, read 103,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have heard that red velvet cake was originally made with beets. I havenít tried it, but hereís a recipe.

I tried it once, eh. I'd rather use red food coloring.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:51 PM

22,729 posts, read 28,783,807 times
Talk about good timing. I'm cleaning out files and here is a zucchini cake recipe, mimeographed on the back of a school calender ( recycling, I guess). Dated school calendar for 1974-75. It's letter folded, so it is something that my mother mailed to me. In my handwriting is a note that says "very good"

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tespoon cinnamon
3/4 cup soft butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
1/2 cup milk
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Glaze directions follow

Combine dry ingredients

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time to butter/sugar, beating well

With a spoon, stir in vanilla, orange peel, and zucchini into butter /sugar

Alternately, stir in dry ingredients and milk to the zucchini mixture, including nuts with last edition

Pour into a greased and floured tube pan or bundt pan. Bake 1 hour 350 degrees, test with toothpick.

Cool in pan for 15 minutes, turn out onto a wire rack to cool thoroughly

When cooled, drizzle with glaze

Glaze
2 cups powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons mik
1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat until sooth
Drizzle over cooled cake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or