U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 10:19 AM

3,506 posts, read 2,358,677 times

Advertisements

I was on the official Instant Pot Facebook group for a while but got off due to so many posts flooding my feed.

Check it out here, you don't even have to join if you don't want to.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotCommunity/

Otherwise, there's no better source than google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 12:59 PM

21,625 posts, read 14,218,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I was on the official Instant Pot Facebook group for a while but got off due to so many posts flooding my feed.

Check it out here, you don't even have to join if you don't want to.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotCommunity/

Otherwise, there's no better source than google.
Yes, and there are quite a few YouTube videos available as well.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:08 AM

Default Turkey roast

Has anyone cooked a turkey roast—one of those boned and netted cylinders of white and dark meat—in the IP?

I did this last night, and while the roast is delicious, it has not held together well in slices. I timed it for 30 min normal pressure and let the pressure drop naturally which took over 15 min. I had attempted to brown it first, but the thick netting prevented a good browning. I might try popping it under the broiler next time after cooking. I cooked the roast on a trivet over sliced onions, garlic, and a few sacrificial mushrooms.

I used about 1 1/2 C of chicken broth.

I could find very little about turkey roasts, and much more about turkey breasts online. I wondered if any of you have cooked one of these before, and how it turned out, and how you did it.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:46 AM

3,506 posts, read 2,358,677 times
^^ The IP doesn't really lend itself to cooking a turkey roast IMO. The name itself "roast" is meant for just that, roasting. It's sort of like using a roaster oven to cook a turkey, it tastes wonderful and is super tender but it doesn't brown on the outside. So it all depends, if you don't care how it looks and only how it tastes it would work. Same applies to any other kind of roast.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
^^ The IP doesn't really lend itself to cooking a turkey roast IMO. The name itself "roast" is meant for just that, roasting. It's sort of like using a roaster oven to cook a turkey, it tastes wonderful and is super tender but it doesn't brown on the outside. So it all depends, if you don't care how it looks and only how it tastes it would work. Same applies to any other kind of roast.
You make a good point. I’m not going to get a roast out of the IP. But I’d settle for being able to slice it for sandwiches.

The IP turkey was absolutely delicious though.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:41 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,616,111 times
Pork ribs are very good in the instant pot. We cooked them and did not get to them right away, so that sat for about 45 minutes in the cooker after the cooking time. Very tender and flavorful. Tried a turkey roast and it was not as tender. I wondered if we had let it sit longer, if it would have been better.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:48 PM

Ribs are amazing out of the IP.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:48 PM

Creamy Potato and Leek Soup

1 T vegetable oil
1 T unsalted butter
3 leeks, white and pale green parts only, sliced crosswise
1 1/2 t salt
4 medium unpeeled potatoes, coarsely chopped
4 C salt-free chicken stock or broth
1/2 t white pepper, ground
1/2 C plain whole-milk yogurt
2 T chopped chives

1. Heat the IP on med heat, and add the oil and butter. Cook until the butter has melted. Stir in the leeks and salt and saute until the leeks have softened, stirring infrequently, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, stock, and pepper.

2. Close and lock the lid of the IP. Cook at high pressure for 8-9 minutes. When time is up, open the cooker with the quick release method.

3. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup in the cooker. If you wish to serve the soup cold, refrigerate. Whether serving it hot or cold, stir in the yogurt just before serving. Taste and season with more pepper if you wish. Sprinkle each serving with a few chopped chives.

----------------------------

Adapted from Hip Pressure Cooking: Fast, Fresh, and Flavorful by Laura D. A. Pazzaglia, c.2014.

I added a bay leaf and chopped garlic to this soup. I used my own homemade chicken broth. I used black pepper instead of white. I used the freeze dried chives, instead of fresh. I partially peeled the potatoes, rather than leaving them unpeeled. But the peels do add flavor to the soup.

I've made this twice and I liked it both times. I hope it warms you up this winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or