U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2018, 02:43 AM

152 posts, read 76,246 times

Advertisements

My wife and I bought the Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker and we’re looking for recipes, tips, tricks and the like. We would appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks in advance...
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 09:48 AM

975 posts, read 1,741,471 times
Hi, good luck getting anyone to answer. I asked the same question 10 days ago and not one person even replied.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/recip...t-recipes.html

Old 09-25-2018, 12:03 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,382,088 times
You tube has tons of recipe videos and you can search FB groups.
I belong to two of them on FB, I haven't even opened my IP yet but I like some of the ideas..

I'll admit I was a little skeptical, as it seem like everyone was just talking about cooking hard boiled eggs.
If you look at the above 2 options there is plenty out there and I'm sure many more to come..

Old 09-26-2018, 04:39 PM

24,296 posts, read 15,696,411 times
Do simple things first to get the hang of the pot. Cook 6 eggs, as per instructions that probably came with your cooker. Instructions for rice are easily findable. Do a pot of rice or potatoes for mashing.

I bought cookbooks, because that's how I roll. But you can start a Pinterest file for OP recipes., and they exist in great numbers online.

A pet peeve of mine is the fanciness of some of the cookbook recipes. Look for simple recipes at first, so you get the hang of the mechanics of using the pot. But it will not take long to get the hang of the IP.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:34 PM

975 posts, read 1,741,471 times
Default Instant Pot Recipes

Thank you Caligula1 and silibran for the good tips.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
You tube has tons of recipe videos and you can search FB groups.
I belong to two of them on FB, I haven't even opened my IP yet but I like some of the ideas..

I'll admit I was a little skeptical, as it seem like everyone was just talking about cooking hard boiled eggs.
If you look at the above 2 options there is plenty out there and I'm sure many more to come..
Doing the eggs is a good way to get started. And, I have to tell you that eating one of those warm eggs right out of the ice bath is amazingly good.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:34 PM

868 posts, read 714,465 times
ok. we got the 8quart last winter. honestly I don't like it. I'm a very good cook. I rock the crock! But the instantpot?
I feel as if it gets sooo not and steamed that it burns the flavor out of anything you make.
that said, I feel it does one function well. It does indeed break tough cuts of meat down with ease. Pulled chicken? no problem.
Good luck with yours, I do better manning a stovetop.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:07 AM

152 posts, read 76,246 times
Thanks to everyone who responded.

I did a beef stew just yesterday in the Instant Pot and we both thought it was great. Gonna try some chili next.

I think what takes some getting used to is waiting for the cooker to come up to pressure and then waiting for (or manually releasing) the pressure to return to normal. That means that if you have ingredients that need different pressure times (meat vs veggies, for example), you have to plan the cooking in the pressure cooker carefully.

I was hoping someone in this fine community might have figured out some tips and tricks.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookboy View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded.

I did a beef stew just yesterday in the Instant Pot and we both thought it was great. Gonna try some chili next.

I think what takes some getting used to is waiting for the cooker to come up to pressure and then waiting for (or manually releasing) the pressure to return to normal. That means that if you have ingredients that need different pressure times (meat vs veggies, for example), you have to plan the cooking in the pressure cooker carefully.

I was hoping someone in this fine community might have figured out some tips and tricks.
Once you have the pot up to pressure and cooking, canceling the program if necessary, and releasing the pressure quickly, you can add other ingredients, relid the pot, and bring the pot back to pressure pretty quickly. Doing this is a standard procedure with stovetop PCs, and I used to do it fairly often.

To grouse789, it does not burn flavor out, unless you have left it to cook too long. So far, I prefer the flavors of things made in an IP to those made in the slow cooker. Do a chili or stew in the IP some time, and see if the flavors are not pleasing.

Sure the IP cooks cuts of meat very well. But it does beans beautifully. Its the best ever for beans.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:43 PM

I made a Tuscan Bean Soup tonight that was quite good. There are many recipes out there for this, or Italian Bean Soup, or Mediterranean Bean Soup. All seem somewhat similar in that they use white beans and greens. The recipe that I used was the simplest I found. I cooked the beans from dry, something I’d never tried. I think the best beans are cooked after being soaked, but these turned out fine. With 3 T of chopped garlic, the broth was flavorful, to say the least. But it was a long cook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or