Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 10:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

The Sat after next we are having our church group over for a social. They are bringing side dishes and spoiled brat and I are doing brats, furnishing the beer and wine soft drinks. There will be about 20 of us. I am not sure our grill has enough room for about 30 brats so what do any of you think about using my electric roaster and how long would you cook them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 11:25 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Normally, when doing delayed serve brats, I grill them all ahead of time and then set them in a dish of sauerkraut (with liquid) to keep warm. Be that on the grill, in a slow cooker, oven or stove-top. I know some people do it opposite (cook the brats in the kraut, then add grill-marks on demand), but I like to be done cooking when people arrive so I'm not being anti-social.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:42 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I agree. I’d cook them ahead and warm them up for the guests. Who wants to stand over a hot grill when you can visit instead.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:44 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Boil them ahead of time and finish them off on the grill.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:26 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
The good brats are the raw ones. I steam them until they are done all the way through, and then then go on the grill over high heat to crisp and smoke the outside. If you try to cook them completely on the grill, they take a long time. If they are steamed to cook, they go across the grill pretty quick

I do the same topping for brats as I use for Italian sausage: thin sliced bell pepper, thin sliced onions, a bit of butter, sauté until soft and then add a Tablespoon or two of good beer and cook to blend flavors and evaporate off the alcohol.

You could do a big pan of the peppers and onions and put the first batch of brats on top of it, cover with foil while the rest of the brats get their turn on the grill.

I prefer the red bell peppers for this, but the green ones are usually cheaper and they work really well, too.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:47 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I cook them in beer and then pop on the grill to finish with a sear. You can do the beer part in advance, and do the grill before serving.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-03-2018, 04:10 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I cook them in beer and then pop on the grill to finish with a sear. You can do the beer part in advance, and do the grill before serving.

I'd also add cut up Onions & Garlic and DO NOT USE Lite Beer

The secret is to place the Brats in a large pot, pour in the beer over the garlic,
onions & brats. set the temp to LOW and when a white foam starts to show
cut the heat and COVER. heat up the grill 10min before placing on the brats

Use a tongs and not a fork !

Old 10-03-2018, 04:17 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I'd also add cut up Onions & Garlic and DO NOT USE Lite Beer

The secret is to place the Brats in a large pot, pour in the beer over the garlic,
onions & brats. set the temp to LOW and when a white foam starts to show
cut the heat and COVER. heat up the grill 10min before placing on the brats

Use a tongs and not a fork !

We use Guiness (sp). Good point about NOT puncturing with fork, and will have to try with the garlic and onions.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-03-2018, 05:06 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Be careful saying …. spoiled brat … at the gathering

im sure whatever you do it will be good

Old 10-03-2018, 05:38 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
personally, i have not found a way to "ruin" brats.

drop them on the ground? nope.
one slips into the charcoal? i'll eat it.
find a "forgot about" raw one? microwave.
have fun and don't worry/be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes