U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 04:50 AM

1,199 posts, read 293,021 times

Advertisements

I like twice baked potatoes, but my favorite is stuffed, fried potato skins. Some times we will have an appetizer meal with skins being one of the stars. For basics, I like bacon, cheddar cheese, pickled japs, sour cream and hot sauce. Pulled pork with sauce and a white cheese is also great. Mexican fillings, especially chorizo, cotija and salsa. How do you like your skins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 07:54 AM

793 posts, read 1,110,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I like twice baked potatoes, but my favorite is stuffed, fried potato skins. Some times we will have an appetizer meal with skins being one of the stars. For basics, I like bacon, cheddar cheese, pickled japs, sour cream and hot sauce. Pulled pork with sauce and a white cheese is also great. Mexican fillings, especially chorizo, cotija and salsa. How do you like your skins?
I can say I haven't made stuffed fried potatoes. Twice baked potatoes with the usual ingredients like cheese, bacon, maybe some chopped jalapenos.

What's the difference between twice baked and stuffed fried potatoes? What's a recipe you use make fried stuffed potatoes?

Old 10-14-2018, 07:59 AM

487 posts, read 97,160 times
You fry the empty potato skins, then "stuff" them with whatever fillings you are using and bake. Like, a bunch of shredded cheddar then bake to melt, then you add bacon bits, sour cream, chives/green onions, etc.

Twice baked actually has the potato flesh in it, skins don't. Skins are literally just the outside skin with a little potato flesh on the inside to hold the shape.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:45 AM

3,238 posts, read 1,311,700 times
My favorite is twice baked. I score a line around the raw potato, then bake it and that line separates and practically says: cut me apart here. Then I make some decadent mashed potatoes with seasonings and get a little brown on the outside on the second bake. Nirvana.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:13 PM

5,320 posts, read 11,005,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Are "pickled japs" a similar thing as "sauer krauts"

Really what are they?

Old 10-14-2018, 01:19 PM

15,024 posts, read 18,885,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Are "pickled japs" a similar thing as "sauer krauts"

Really what are they?
No. Pickled jalapeno peppers.

Sauerkraut is pickled cabbage.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:13 PM

11,008 posts, read 17,497,955 times
I never had a potato skin I didn't love, but I think they're usually baked, not fried. I prefer when they leave enough of the potato in to taste it.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:27 PM

5,320 posts, read 11,005,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
No. Pickled jalapeno peppers.

Sauerkraut is pickled cabbage.
Dang, I am glad I was not labelled a racist!

Old 10-15-2018, 06:31 AM

1 posts, read 204 times
How does it taste? Have eaten the Stuff Patatos but, have tried the Stuff Potato Skins!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes