Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 08:37 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times

Advertisements

I'm fascinated by this recipe I ran into recently and think I'd like to try it out.

While it looks like cinnamon buns on top of the pie it is actually a rolled out pastry, complete with icing. It seems like it may be easy even though it looks complicated. On the plate with a scoop of ice cream it has to look very special.

Here's the recipe:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...le-pie-3362361

I'm thinking I'd rather add nutmeg than vanilla. And I rather doubt that six apples are going to make a pie this deep. Some adjustment might be needed.

What do you think of this pie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 07:09 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,167 times
Yum. Yum. Yum. If I saw that pie at a dinner or event, I would stare and fantasize about it the whole time. I can't have sugar so the pie is not an option for consumption anymore. But it sure would elicit a lot of my stares and thoughts. That looks fabulous. I will be coming back to this link to look at the picture during work breaks today.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:16 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
That is very cool, and not too difficult. I’ll try it next time I make an apple pie.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:27 AM

It is a "feast your eyes" kind of pie, isn't it?

Like anything I try for the first time I've been thinking about it now and then and wondering where the unexpected rough spots will be or where I can add an improvement.

This is all about one of my retirement bucket list items - to try all the different desserts I never had time or money to make back in the working days. My next door neighbor, a widow, loves it. She always gets a serving in exchange for her opinion and suggestions.

She's a pleasant coincidence who came into my life about thirty years ago when she moved in next to us. Turns out we are both from the same area of Minnesota and grew up about seven miles from each other. We even graduated the same year. So we have a common cultural frame of reference.

This doesn't sound like a big deal to people who grow up in the cities, I suppose. But if you're in the hinterlands it's the next best thing to being cousins.

I'm glad you like it, gentlearts. If you beat me to it let me know. I hope to do this sometime in the next couple of weeks and will have DH help me post a picture.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:53 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Clever. That would make a "fancy" dessert for company or potluck.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:00 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Hmmm....How bad can that be?

Old 10-15-2018, 03:39 PM

Well, it better be good. Poor DH has had to run to the store twice now to get the ingredients right. This calls for refrigerated crust.

While I usually make my own crust with lard I thought it best to follow the recipe and that the refrigerated crust would probably be easier to handle. And you do have to handle the top crust quite a bit. My own would be a hassle as it is as full of fat as I can make it. This makes it nice and flakey but fragile to fool around with.

If I ever buy a crust it is those single crusts in the pan. I keep them in the freezer. They come in handy for last minute ice cream pie, cream pies or quiche when I don't know what to do with leftover veggies.

So, of course, even though I wrote refrigerated crusts, DH came home with frozen crusts. Drat! And I know those frozen crusts are brittle as heck. No rolling those guys up!

I can make use of the frozen ones later but he was willing to return to the store for the refrigerated ones. He's being a good sport. I'm guessing he really wants a piece of pie.

He picked up both Granny Smith and Pink Lady apples as the recipe suggested. Both of those are quite firm for pie. I'm hoping they make enough juice. No flour in the filling mix? What do you think? Is this going to hold together or should I add a little?

Any last minute suggestions? It's hard to tell if I'll do this today or tomorrow.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:50 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,551,825 times
It is a feast for the eyes Ms. Lodestar. Thank you for sharing the recipe. My wife loves apple pie and I am tempted to make this for her. I have the Granny Smiths, but will have to pick up the other apples. I'm going against the rules and make my own piecrust. I always have some premade and frozen, all I have to do is thaw it out.

Last edited by TerraDown; 10-15-2018 at 04:53 PM..

Old 10-15-2018, 04:49 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Well, it better be good. Poor DH has had to run to the store twice now to get the ingredients right. This calls for refrigerated crust.

While I usually make my own crust with lard I thought it best to follow the recipe and that the refrigerated crust would probably be easier to handle. And you do have to handle the top crust quite a bit. My own would be a hassle as it is as full of fat as I can make it. This makes it nice and flakey but fragile to fool around with.

If I ever buy a crust it is those single crusts in the pan. I keep them in the freezer. They come in handy for last minute ice cream pie, cream pies or quiche when I don't know what to do with leftover veggies.

So, of course, even though I wrote refrigerated crusts, DH came home with frozen crusts. Drat! And I know those frozen crusts are brittle as heck. No rolling those guys up!

I can make use of the frozen ones later but he was willing to return to the store for the refrigerated ones. He's being a good sport. I'm guessing he really wants a piece of pie.

He picked up both Granny Smith and Pink Lady apples as the recipe suggested. Both of those are quite firm for pie. I'm hoping they make enough juice. No flour in the filling mix? What do you think? Is this going to hold together or should I add a little?

Any last minute suggestions? It's hard to tell if I'll do this today or tomorrow.
I would just use my usual apple pie recipe, which I think has 3T of flour. As far as the amount of apples, it depends on the size....just pile em up. Believe it or not, my store once had huge apples and it only took 2 to make a big pie.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would just use my usual apple pie recipe, which I think has 3T of flour. As far as the amount of apples, it depends on the size....just pile em up. Believe it or not, my store once had huge apples and it only took 2 to make a big pie.
That's what I'm thinking, too. Using a conventional filling.

Yes, pile them up! I like a nice, plump looking pie. This one looks deceivingly thick for only six apples. But if you managed to make a pie with only two apples I guess anything is possible. Those must have been something to behold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes