U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2018, 02:18 PM
 
Location: USA
1,722 posts, read 594,282 times
Reputation: 3809

Advertisements

OregonWoodSmoke... can you just come to stay for a week? I'll feed you well & you can render gourds.

Thank you for your instructions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2018, 06:35 PM
 
8,059 posts, read 8,578,917 times
Reputation: 9000
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
This is what I do during the fall/winter when I am craving pumpkin pie but too lazy to make a full pie. I just mix up the filling and bake it in a round pyrex dish and eat it like pudding. I like eating it cold for breakfast.
What a great idea! I never thought of that. Thanks and to fleetiebelle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2018, 11:53 PM
 
8,059 posts, read 8,578,917 times
Reputation: 9000
I just saw an interesting use of pumpkins on PBS and it was not a cooking show.

Use a real pumpkin as a substitute for pie crust. Take a fresh pumpkin and cut out the top. Remove the seeds and attached pulp. Bake the pumpkin in the oven for a couple of hours. I think it was 400 degrees? Make a regular pumpkin pie filling and then pour the filling into the baked fresh pumpkin. Return the pumpkin to the oven and bake for another hour. I'm not sure of the cooking times and oven temperatures because this wasn't really a cooking show, just an idea for what to do with pumpkins. I guess a flatter-shaped pumpkin would be better to use. Slice the pumpkin and serve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2018, 05:41 PM
 
Location: USA
1,722 posts, read 594,282 times
Reputation: 3809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I just saw an interesting use of pumpkins on PBS and it was not a cooking show.

Use a real pumpkin as a substitute for pie crust. Take a fresh pumpkin and cut out the top. Remove the seeds and attached pulp. Bake the pumpkin in the oven for a couple of hours. I think it was 400 degrees? Make a regular pumpkin pie filling and then pour the filling into the baked fresh pumpkin. Return the pumpkin to the oven and bake for another hour. I'm not sure of the cooking times and oven temperatures because this wasn't really a cooking show, just an idea for what to do with pumpkins. I guess a flatter-shaped pumpkin would be better to use. Slice the pumpkin and serve.
I'll wait for someone else to try it and/or taste it. Sounds like an incredible amount of work, especially trying to scrape out the pulp from a raw pumpkin. I don't have that kind of arm/hand strength. Not sure the rind would taste good, but who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2018, 06:11 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
22,539 posts, read 28,465,576 times
Reputation: 43384
I'm sure what you would be removing would be the seeds and strings. Then maybe scrape the walls of the pumpkin with a spoon just enough to clean the edges up.

It would have to be really small pumpkins or there would be an awful lot of pie filling to try to get cooked through to the middle.

I think a small pumpkin stuffed with a meat mixture, maybe porcupine ball recipe, would be an impressive dinner. The meat mixture would go well with the flavor of baked pumpkin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2018, 07:33 PM
 
Location: USA
1,722 posts, read 594,282 times
Reputation: 3809
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think a small pumpkin stuffed with a meat mixture, maybe porcupine ball recipe, would be an impressive dinner. The meat mixture would go well with the flavor of baked pumpkin.

Wouldn't the cooked pumpkin shell collapse in on itself quickly, OWS? I've seen lovely cookbook pics of pumpkin or other soups, served hot in the shell, but I'd imagine that doesn't last long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
11,012 posts, read 17,501,056 times
Reputation: 27790
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Wouldn't the cooked pumpkin shell collapse in on itself quickly, OWS? I've seen lovely cookbook pics of pumpkin or other soups, served hot in the shell, but I'd imagine that doesn't last long?
It seems to work well here.. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...ffed-pumpkins/

I haven't tried it personally. I think I would do a sausage, apple and/or mushroom, celery & onion, bread stuffing if I made it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 04:43 PM
 
Location: USA
1,722 posts, read 594,282 times
Reputation: 3809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I haven't tried it personally. I think I would do... bread stuffing if I made it.

Bread stuffing sounds like a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 01:34 PM
 
7,104 posts, read 9,314,124 times
Reputation: 8146
You can also substitute any deep-orange winter squash for pumpkin. Acorn won't usually work because the flesh is so pale, but butternut, buttercup, hubbard and kabocha are all fine.


Eating pumpkins usually have much thicker flesh for their size than carving pumpkins. If you've ever seen someone bake slices of "Rouge Vif D'Etampes" in the oven you know what I mean. That's the main problem with using a carving pumpkin to eat, not the flavor -- the thin shells make them much easier to carve, but there's not much meat in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 11:00 PM
 
8,059 posts, read 8,578,917 times
Reputation: 9000
I rewatched the program that had the recipe. I didn't describe it correctly. Here is the link for the recipe.

The First Pumpkin Pie (sort of) Recipe | PBS Food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top