Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 01:03 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to duplicate a recipe. The cookies contain white choc chips, coconut, and macadamia nuts (but I'm substituting pecans). I can't seem to find a basic dough that will work for any mix-in I choose. I prefer not to use shortening. Does anybody have a place for me to start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 03:33 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Check out white chocolate macadamian nut cookie recipes or cranberry and white chocolate chips cookies to sub in your changes of coconut and pecans. I included a few below:

White Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies Recipe - Food.com

White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies Recipe | Taste of Home

Old 12-19-2014, 03:43 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Check out white chocolate macadamian nut cookie recipes or cranberry and white chocolate chips cookies to sub in your changes of coconut and pecans. I included a few below:

Thank you! I looked on recipe.com, and only came up with 2 results, neither of which was what I was hoping for.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:49 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,672 times
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...d=a_inl_manual

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.4ef3150b911c

Old 12-02-2018, 09:25 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
^^^TY for those and bumping this thread.

Yes it is that time of year again. What is everyone making? Any new recipes? I started out with about 6 different cookies and candies and now I am up to 15 I need to knock it down to no more than 10, lol.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:19 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I know! It's hard to keep it to a minimum. We have to have the cultural favorites. And then there's always at least one new one that shows up that I want to try.

Meanwhile, everyone says not to make cookies this year because they are plenty full after dinner. Somehow it just isn't Christmas without a cookie tray.

The majority of mine will go to neighbors and service persons I do business with. DH will squirrel some away for himself.

The daughter has asked for kringler again this year. My family at home didn't make it but many others did and I introduced it to my adult kids a few years ago.

There are many names for this because of the many dialects. In Denmark they call it kringle, I think. It's stuffed with fruit and nuts and baked in the shape of a wreath. This is not to be confused with kringla which is a nutmeg or cardamom flavored white dough tied in figure eights and baked.

Where I grew up the American name for it was "yardstick" and it was made in two, long three-inch wide rows on a cookie sheet then sliced diagonally to serve.

It's a humble enough recipe - only eggs, butter, flour, a little salt, powdered sugar, almond flavoring and sliced almonds. It's a layer of butter pie crust (pate brisee, as Martha would say. LOL) topped with a cream puff dough and baked. Then it's spread with almond frosting and sprinkled with almonds.

While it's very rich it's also light in the mouth and not too sweet.

Here's a pretty picture:

https://gluten-free-zen.com/2013/02/...vian-kringler/

But the recipe is updated for the gluten-free crowd. Well, now.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:58 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,197,347 times
Thumbs up Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post

Thank you, I will be trying these recipes! They look good!

Old 12-02-2018, 04:20 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
I love baking and giving away fresh baked good to friends, neighbors and some of my local businesses.

One recipe that I make every year is Mounds Bars and many people like them. I do like to double the filling as I think the original doesn't have enough coconut.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/11378/mound-bars/

But I just came across this 4 ingredient Almond Joy cookie recipe. I may try it and delete the almonds. It is much easier than the one above. The slicing of the bars can be a pain.

https://www.momontimeout.com/almond-...4-ingredients/

Pictures shared from the above linked sites.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:23 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
This is a great thread. I’ve been looking at Xmas cookies book. I didn’t find a good one yet.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:22 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
I love homemade Christmas cookies, but I'm giving my 8 months pregnant self the year off!

My regulars are: soft and chewy molasses crinkles, chocolate "soccer ball" cookies, mom's almond crescents, mandelbrot (Jewish biscotti), and a couple other varieties depending on the year.

For those that don't know, cookies freeze wonderfully well in big zip-lock freezer bags. They never freeze solid and can be enjoyed straight out of the freezer or left on the counter to come to room temperature first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes