U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 04:47 PM

9,155 posts, read 8,683,098 times

Advertisements

Crème Anglaise. Don't let it boil.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...nglaise-101030
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 02:40 PM

22,772 posts, read 28,846,881 times
Mayonnaise is a sauce and that is probably the one that gets the most use at my house, followed very closely by Rooster sauce, which my son puts on just about everything and that I use in Asian cooking.

Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce gets used frequently, both for barbecue and dipping.

I've always got a bottle or two of Thai sweet chili sauce.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:30 AM

13,827 posts, read 18,832,525 times
okay what the heck is sunday gravy ? never in my life have I heard of that one . My favorite on hamburgers and chicken tenders is mayo mixed in with mustard and a lil water and it is yummy on chicken tenders and also on hamburgs .

Old 11-13-2018, 01:29 PM

27,092 posts, read 5,956,451 times
Chile-garlic paste/sauce is likely the most used here...

Old 11-14-2018, 05:22 AM

2,551 posts, read 1,839,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay what the heck is sunday gravy ? never in my life have I heard of that one . My favorite on hamburgers and chicken tenders is mayo mixed in with mustard and a lil water and it is yummy on chicken tenders and also on hamburgs .
Tomato sauce. An Italian tradition.

I thought OP wanted ideas for sauces we make. If so I like gruyere sauce for veggies:
1 T butter
1 T flour
1 C +/- Milk (I use half and half instead)
S&P (I use white pepper)
1/2 to 3/4 C shredded gruyere

make a white roux with the butter and flour. Add the milk while whisking constantly and cook until slightly thick -- about 5 minutes. Add S&P. Turn off heat and start adding cheese 1/4 C at a time while whisking to smooth. Add cheese until it passes your taste test and is nice and thick.
You can pour it over veggies and serve as is or sprinkle more cheese over the mix and put in 350 segree oven for 10 to 15 minutes to melt the added cheese.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:49 AM

1,235 posts, read 311,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
It is an Italian-American thing. As grampaTom said it is a tomato sauce that cooks for hours and has meatballs, Italian sausage and braciole cooked in it. The meats are removed and served separately as a course and the gravy is served over the macaroni. Italian-Americans usually refer to pasta as macaroni, so instead of pasta and sauce you get macaroni and gravy (Sunday gravy).

Old 11-14-2018, 10:40 AM

72,114 posts, read 83,786,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
When I look over the number of kinds of sauces there are it is mind boggling for someone that would like to start to get into sauces. Is there an all-around-sauce that you use for nearly everything. Maybe you can name some sauces and what you use them on. How about a sauce that you use on vegetables instead of using a dressing. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.
It depends on what you are using the sauce on: for veggies I love a good Mornay or a good hollandaise sauce but they are not easy to make and can be diet unfriendly .

A little hot sauce goes a long way, but I don't think that is the kind of sauce you are thinking about. Of cours the plan old fashion cream sauce is a winner and don't forget just a bit of melted cheese if you want to keep it simple.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:02 PM

15,109 posts, read 19,072,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Mayonnaise is a sauce and that is probably the one that gets the most use at my house, followed very closely by Rooster sauce, which my son puts on just about everything and that I use in Asian cooking.

Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce gets used frequently, both for barbecue and dipping.

I've always got a bottle or two of Thai sweet chili sauce.

Are you living at my house? I would have had the IDENTICAL list, adding that the mayo should be Kewpie and there's no son to be stealing the sriracha (aka Rooster sauce).

Ironically, we just discovered Sweet Baby Ray Sweet Red Chile sauce on a trip to St Simons Island last month. It was on some chicken wings we ordered, that we had grilled. It was so damn good that I made them tell me what it was - thinking it was a secret recipe. They were honest and told me the truth. I'll be grateful forever. That stuff is spectacular on chicken AND pork. I imagine I could drink and enjoy it.

Tons of other sauces and stuff in my pantry and fridge. It's like visiting a foreign country in there.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:03 PM

13,827 posts, read 18,832,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
It is an Italian-American thing. As grampaTom said it is a tomato sauce that cooks for hours and has meatballs, Italian sausage and braciole cooked in it. The meats are removed and served separately as a course and the gravy is served over the macaroni. Italian-Americans usually refer to pasta as macaroni, so instead of pasta and sauce you get macaroni and gravy (Sunday gravy).

that is funny and I thank you because my dad is Italian and he never mentioned this and he always took the meat out too and called it tomatoe sauce never sunday gravy . wow that is so odd .

Old 11-14-2018, 04:07 PM

3,054 posts, read 2,029,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
When I look over the number of kinds of sauces there are it is mind boggling for someone that would like to start to get into sauces. Is there an all-around-sauce that you use for nearly everything. Maybe you can name some sauces and what you use them on. How about a sauce that you use on vegetables instead of using a dressing. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.
Mayonnaise.

Also mayonnaise mixed in equal parts with sour cream, yogurt or skyr. Goes with everything, sweet or savory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes